• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

handicapping

laerton420

I am new to the sport and im also 54 years old,most of the courses ives played are a bit long for me.I have taken to creating my own par list for each course,making most par 3s into 4s etc.....Is this a faux pas,or frowned upon thing..I have found its much more fun for me if I cant make pars and birdies every now and then as opposed to constantly posting double-digit over scores.any advice out there:\

Yeah. Keep in to yourself.

Just kidding. If you want to have your own "personal par", do it. Just remember than it won't have relevance to anyone but you, so don't bother telling people your scores based on it.

People have their own personal pars, whether they admit it or not. If there's a hole that, if I play good I get a 4, then I'm happy with the 4 and very happy with a 3. Regardless of what the actual par is. But I'm not happier if I call it a "birdie". I just know I played it well, for me.

I am new to the sport and im also 54 years old,most of the courses ives played are a bit long for me.I have taken to creating my own par list for each course,making most par 3s into 4s etc.....Is this a faux pas,or frowned upon thing..I have found its much more fun for me if I cant make pars and birdies every now and then as opposed to constantly posting double-digit over scores.any advice out there:\

Nothing wrong with that at all. There are discussions/debates aplenty on the topic of "par". There's never been a consensus, and I'd wager there won't be one for quite a long time.

I know I used to do exactly what you describe when I first started playing. I remember my old home course started as a "par" 62 for me...eventually it became a "par" 54 as I improved.

Bottom line is that if it keeps you interested and keeps you playing, keep doing what you're doing.

If you want to get better you are doing yourself a disservice. You will be satisfied with a faux par and not have incentive to make the real par or even have a chance for a real birdie.
This is a game of fun and you can do what you want but being 58 and throwing 250-275 I look forward to holes I can barely par and every once in a while birdie. I rarely make par but I still have a great time trying.
Welcome to the game and have fun.

Latest posts