• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has Will Schusterick peaked?

In this AMA with Paul he kind of touches on courses of the future saying that they will be more open and "fair" to everyone, whatever that means.. But I feel like if anyone would know where top level layouts are headed, it would be McBeth.

https://youtu.be/EXxHvIZu4Sg?t=322

Trees are extremely fair. Known to be in the same spot for everyone, waiting to be hit.

Tree kicks can go both ways, and I kind of feel that in the long run good and bad luck equals out. Now, if for some reason people put OB in the schule to double the penalty, that is another thing. :wall:

Trees are extremely fair. Known to be in the same spot for everyone, waiting to be hit.

Tree kicks can go both ways, and I kind of feel that in the long run good and bad luck equals out. Now, if for some reason people put OB in the schule to double the penalty, that is another thing. :wall:

Right, that's what I'm saying.. tight technical courses with a lot of trees are "fair" for everyone for obvious reasons.. but wide open courses, imo, are not "fair" for everyone. Lazotte is going to kick my ass on a wide open, long range course, but I might have a chance(probably not) on a course where he has to disc down and throw technical shots to make par.

Right, that's what I'm saying.. tight technical courses with a lot of trees are "fair" for everyone for obvious reasons.. but wide open courses, imo, are not "fair" for everyone. Lazotte is going to kick my ass on a wide open, long range course, but I might have a chance(probably not) on a course where he has to disc down and throw technical shots to make par.
So wide open courses are "unfair" because Lazotte throws further?

I don't believe there's such a thing as an unfair course. Every course is fair so long as everyone plays under the same conditions.

Sure, different courses will favor different player's skill sets but that has nothing to do with fairness.

I'm pretty sure by "fair" they mean no gimmicky holes. Where no true line exists and instead you just throw at a wall of trees and hope.

Two throws land in the middle of a wooded fairway. One skips forward 20 feet. One hits a root and kicks sideways 20 feet.
Two throws land close to each other off the fairway in the woods. One has a clear but lucky line to the basket. One is stuck in a bunch of briars.
Two throws are slightly off line in a wooded fairway. The one closer to the fairway hits a tree and kicks deep into the woods. The one farther from the fairway misses all the trees and fades back into the fairway.

Whenever you say "well that was unlucky" or "I'd rather be lucky than good", you're talking about unfair conditions.

Im so glad you brought up "reading". If you were to just read the thread you posted in, you could answer your own questions.

Guilty is definitely not a feeling i will ever have towards an online person i never met. Just trying to help you get accustomed to the site. Maybe i could of delivered it differently but then again, i dont know you or care enough.

Good luck with certain other ppl on this site that wont play as nice as i have.

On the Will topic, what he is saying about his shoulder would explain alot about his putt. I hope he gets it figured out because the rest of his game is top 10 in the world and he seems like a nice guy.
I didn't read the thread though and you read my posts so comprehension would seem more important. I've looked into him and wow his putting is horrendous. Is his shoulder put on backwards? Something is majorly wrong with him and seems to be that way for years? I hope he heals....

I didn't read the thread though and you read my posts so comprehension would seem more important. I've looked into him and wow his putting is horrendous. Is his shoulder put on backwards? Something is majorly wrong with him and seems to be that way for years? I hope he heals....

From only several pages back:

From Facebook:
As I sit on a plane about to take off towards Sula, Norway I felt it's time to actually announce something. A lot of people know that my disc golf game has gone down a few notches within the last 2yrs. There have been comments, messages, questions, podcasts, all about a new "movement" or "hitch" I have in my game. This "hitch" is NOT intended and never has been. I've had this so called "hitch" for almost 2yrs now, and when it first was going on I figured that if I practice harder that it would eventually fix itself. If you have ever hung out with me, you realize I could be "a bit" stubborn when it comes to certain things and there wasn't a piece of me that would ever admit something was wrong. I finally went in to have it looked at by a professional in Nashville to find out what's up and I found out that I have "shoulder impingement". I've been avoiding telling anyone because I really didn't want to make a big deal out of what's going on and start to create even more pressure on myself. I've concluded that it's time to come clean and admit what's wrong for one main reason. We all know there are internet trolls. I could care less what someone says about my cystic acne on my neck, I could care less what someone says about the way I dress, or what people think of my mental game, or their opinion on the discs that I throw, but I just can't listen to people blame my marriage for the way I'm playing anymore. Trish has been by my side when I won the USDGC, and by my side when I've gotten in the worst moods EVER after missing 12 putts inside the circle to end up not cashing. Trish is one of the main reasons why I haven't gone CRAZY after missing so many shots I used to easily hit. It's been almost 2yrs since I've felt extremely confident and it's time to finally turn that around. I've been seeing a professional in Nashville to hopefully get back to where I was a few years ago after I go through some physical therapy. Once again, if you know me well, you know that I won't quit working hard until I'm back on top. I want to thank all of my fans, friends, family, and especially my wife for ALWAYS being by my side. It's time for me to conquer a new goal inside my disc golf game, which is getting back on top.

.... and I'm leaving Prodigy to rejoin Innova Champion Discs / taking my talents to Latitude / DD / Westside ya'll!!

.... and I'm leaving Prodigy to rejoin Innova Champion Discs / taking my talents to Latitude / DD / Westside ya'll!!

Considering what he's done for Prodigy versus their other pros and how much marketing work he's done/still does, I really don't see him leaving there any time soon. Pretty much all the other team members seem to have just been players, but Will seemed to be the guy they started building their brand around, a la Doss with Discraft, McBeth with Innova, McCabe with DD, and now Wysocki and Latitude. I really doubt he'd leave Prodigy even if it would "help his game."

Will is never leaving Prodigy. He is part owner, and lives and breathes the brand.
I would say it's as sure a thing as Paul never leaving Innova (as mentioned).

So wide open courses are "unfair" because Lazotte throws further?

I don't believe there's such a thing as an unfair course. Every course is fair so long as everyone plays under the same conditions.

Sure, different courses will favor different player's skill sets but that has nothing to do with fairness.

True, but I would just hate to see this sport become dominated by courses favoring pro's that only have that bomber 600-700' shot.. This sport is so much more than that. I mean don't get me wrong, I think there should definitely be a few holes on the course that you have a chance to bomb a huge flex shot, but it would really take a lot of the beauty of the game away if it moved to predominately wide open, bomber courses. That's just my opinion, which is of no consequence at all...

Will is never leaving Prodigy. He is part owner, and lives and breathes the brand.
I would say it's as sure a thing as Paul never leaving Innova (as mentioned).

This "part owner" bit really isn't all it's made out to be.

This "part owner" bit really isn't all it's made out to be.

Unless Will is their franchise player. So perhaps he's getting a bigger cut, therefore hanging around longer to see if it ultimately pays off.

I'm pretty sure by "fair" they mean no gimmicky holes. Where no true line exists and instead you just throw at a wall of trees and hope.

I think it was mentioned in the R2 coverage at DeLa and somewhere in the tourney thread - yeah, that place has some 5' gaps and you're throwing at a wall of trees hoping to get through. But if it wasn't part skill, why are the same guys on the top cards all the time, even on those "gimmicky" courses?

How small of a gap/line does it have to be for you to consider it "no true line exists"? I'm curious what everybody's thoughts are on this. How tight of a gap is OK? Is that for a gap between trees 100' off the tee, 200' off the tee, a tunnel shot width, multiple gaps at a wall of trees?

As for fairness: I'm in the camp that as long as everyone plays the same hole, it's fair. Does it suck that an inch difference between airborne shots means one player stops dead in the fairway while the next player kicks 50' left either OB or deep into the woods? Depends. They were probably both bad shots for hitting that tree. Maybe it's bad design to put obstacles in the middle of an intended line, maybe it's smart golf to plan your line to avoid those obstacles. I have a friend with multiple tree-kick aces. He wasn't complaining about the trees then!

Hmm seems like nonsense. He recently got married? I think for the first time in his life he lost his seed, must have messed his game up. It happens.... well unless your name is Tom Brady.

That is the base of the discussion, upthread. He stepped up and admitted a shoulder issue hurting his game. Defended his wife. He shouldn't and doesn't have to defend or admit anything. I'd say it's universal that everyone hopes he gets better and that he comes back to the top.

Before his injury, Paul McBeth did an interview where he listed Ricky and Will as his two biggest competitors.

That is the base of the discussion, upthread. He stepped up and admitted a shoulder issue hurting his game. Defended his wife. He shouldn't and doesn't have to defend or admit anything. I'd say it's universal that everyone hopes he gets better and that he comes back to the top.

Before his injury, Paul McBeth did an interview where he listed Ricky and Will as his two biggest competitors.
Yes I agree he is right to not tour anymore. Drive for show putt for dough. He doesn't seem to get along with anyone on tour for what I've seen anyway.

Latest posts