• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has Will Schusterick peaked?

DiscFifty

Banned
Will's YouTube presence pretty much introduced me to the pro side of disc golf 3 years ago. (yah..I know...I didn't know the history of the game then.) I thought he was just about as good as it gets. I've always thought he had the ability to be the best in the game....by a long shot. He just seems to fit the definition of disc golf. But...lately it seems like he is fading from the limelight. It's no secret he's struggling with his putting game, perhaps now more than ever. But when I watch Ricky, Paul, Simon (and Nate!) it just seems they are on an entirely different level of ability.

He's arguably not even the best Prodigy player (Koling). If he finds his putt though he will be able to battle with the best again.

I think unless he overhauls his putting, he'll be a once was. His finesse and up shot game seem off too.

I don't know, maybe he has other irons in the fire, he's bored or discouraged, or disc golf isn't a top priority in his future plans.

He's arguably not even the best Prodigy player (Koling). If he finds his putt though he will be able to battle with the best again.

Has anyone notice that his putting got worse, but his form also changed? His upswing used to be pretty smooth. Not he seems he twitches his arm up and pauses once or twice, almost clutching his arm and then flicks his wrist. He's not putting with the spin or power that he was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nikko and Will are in the same boat. Neither is a great putter. They can both throw a disc as well as Ricky and Paul. But when you are consistently clanking putts on the rim, you aren't gonna be at the top of your game enough to compete against the best, on a consistent basis.

Nikko and Will are in the same boat. Neither is a great putter. They can both throw a disc as well as Ricky and Paul. But when you are consistently clanking putts on the rim, you aren't gonna be at the top of your game enough to compete against the best, on a consistent basis.

Nikko used to be an excellent putter. Will really never has lol.

He got married. That eats into lots of disc golf time.

Came to post this. Will has always been one of my favorite players. He has what it takes to be the best. But it's possible what he has peaked. Between the putting, and now a new life with his new bride, his game might never be the same. And he may want kids, which will change things even more.

He might end up being more of a promoter than a disc golf superstar. Sort of like an Avery Jenkins. I still hope he can muster up one more huge win though, preferably beating Paul and Ricky this year in Kansas.

He got married. That eats into lots of disc golf time.

Beyond maybe the month leading up to the wedding - why would being married eat into his disc golfing time? It's his full time job/livelyhood and the two have been together long enough to understand the time commitment it takes (travel, practice, etc.). Unlike the average married person who plays disc golf, he doesn't have to balance practice time with a 9-5 job and family. If they decide to have children, then I could see that eating into his disc golf time significantly.

I would chalk this up to a mental block - if he sticks at he can bounce back, unless he has other plans outside of the sport.

Yeah hes a professional disc golfer lol. So what if dude got married thats a crock.

Be dedicated to your craft and do work.

I attribute most of his putting woes to his change from Innova to Prodigy.

He may be a top pro, and yes, he can obviously use anything, but he putt with KC Aviars for years. Prodigy doesn't have anything similar.

He may be a top pro, and yes, he can obviously use anything, but he putt with KC Aviars for years. Prodigy doesn't have anything similar.

That's crazy talk. All putters go in the basket.....

The disc in his hand has nothing to do with his putting woes.

^ Aim beat me to it.

Dont you guys think that if the putter was the "magic pill" to fix Wills putting woes that Prodigy would make/mold up a new KC Aviar copy...or just go back to them with a Prodigy stamp.

His putting seems to be a motion/smoothness problem more than a disc problem.

I really like Will and think he is good for the game. I hope for the sake of DG he stays around after his "career", he will make a good ambassador for the "sport" if he chooses to do so.

Last edited:
The disc in his hand has nothing to do with his putting woes.

^ Aim beat me to it.

If the discs don't matter, then why on earth do all of the fanboys argue back and forth about which company is better? Why do we go through piles of putters before picking the one that "works for us?" Why do people seek out 10x Aviars, or specific runs of Wizards?

Because it matters.

We hold ridiculous double standards for disc selection. Pros should use whatever they're handed and win worlds, but we mere amateurs claim to be able to tell the difference between an Aviar from 1997 and an Aviar from 2006.

Dont you guys think that if the putter was the "magic pill" to fix Wills putting woes that Prodigy would make/mold up a new KC Aviar copy...or just go back to them with a Prodigy stamp.

His putting seems to be a motion/smoothness problem than a disc problem.
Well, no, it isn't a "magic pill" fix, but it can certainly be a detriment if you are not confident. This can manifest in different ways, ie: motion/smoothness problem.

If the discs don't matter, then why on earth do all of the fanboys argue back and forth about which company is better? Why do we go through piles of putters before picking the one that "works for us?" Why do people seek out 10x Aviars, or specific runs of Wizards?

Because it matters.

We hold ridiculous double standards for disc selection. Pros should use whatever they're handed and win worlds, but we mere amateurs claim to be able to tell the difference between an Aviar from 1997 and an Aviar from 2006.

Will's putting motion and timing are what's killing him.

Latest posts