• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has Will Schusterick peaked?

Well, there's something up with his form...again. Check out the video and notice his backhand seems to be stuttering, shaky, etc, before he rips it. He's still throwing well, but I'm wondering what's going on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN8KuEqyIJI

At first I didn't notice it, but now I could see that on hole 4. It's only a matter of confidence, but his form still looks pure and it doesn't affect his throwing style.
There is comment saying "Schusterick looks like he is trying hard not to play bad." and it's completely true.

He has a new putting style though and I like it way better. Less shaky moves and except that putt on hole 1, the rest was good putting. If he gets better at putting in the next tournaments, the confidence could come back really fast. And we all know what a confident Schusterick is worth !!!

Will's still one of the best throwers in the game.

It's just his terrible, terrible putting that ruins it.

Yeah I noticed that shakeyness in his backhand form now also that wasn't there just 6 months ago. It looks like Focal Dystonia. Its something a lot of musicians get, but its basically where your muscles can spasm doing something as routine as playing guitar or doing a backhand drive, but your brain gets the wires crossed when you've done a certain routine so many times and causes unwanted muscle contractions.

Yeah I noticed that shakeyness in his backhand form now also that wasn't there just 6 months ago. It looks like Focal Dystonia. Its something a lot of musicians get, but its basically where your muscles can spasm doing something as routine as playing guitar or doing a backhand drive, but your brain gets the wires crossed when you've done a certain routine so many times and causes unwanted muscle contractions.
I recently noticed he has changed his backhand driving form, which obviously leads to some awkward stuff at first. The main thing he seems to have worked with is bringing the disc more outward of his body in reachback, to prevent what is called rounding. Not that it's been a major issue for him, but it has probably come into play on holes with less room for lateral movement.

Last edited:

Sounds like 'the yips' in golf ball golf putting.

Will's still one of the best throwers in the game.

It's just his terrible, terrible putting that ruins it.

Ah man it's an awful feeling to be in a tournament and everything is clicking in your game except the putt. Lose confidence in the short game and everything else will crumble into a mess. Might be a good idea for Will to walk away completely for a couple months this winter. I alway find it helps to step away for a while and come back to approach a problem in my game.

He's still playing some good disc golf, he's averaging a 1000 rated round for 3 rounds @ USDGC. I think he's very capable of having a stellar 2017 if he can fine tune his short game during the off season.

Will peaked? I saw him a few weeks back at the BHMO on the lead card final 9

.... carrying someone else's bag.

Well, there's something up with his form...again. Check out the video and notice his backhand seems to be stuttering, shaky, etc, before he rips it. He's still throwing well, but I'm wondering what's going on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN8KuEqyIJI

One word: forehand

Will never threw forehands couple years ago. Nowadays he's using it quite alot. I believe he's been trying to learn forehand and that's disturbed his backhand technique and finesse of it.

I don't know about that. Last season, Will's backhand still looked phenomenal, and people were starting to talk about how his forehand was emerging as one of the better ones in the game.
I don't see a compelling reason as to why, this year, the forehand would be causing any problems with the backhand.
Is his driving demonstrably worse this year, or are his problems relegated to the short game?
I feel for the guy. I'm sure he wishes he knew what to do about correcting whatever the problem is.

Years of rampant steroid use are clearly taking a toll on his body. I mean just look at him, nobody gets that bulked up naturally.

The 18 year old who placed fourth at the USDGC and has potentially decades of his career left?

Yeah, he's peaked.
It's not an easy age he is in. I don't know him personally, but what I see from the tournaments coverage, I do have my doubts if he is mature enough to understand his own potential yet and what it means to use that.

@BrotherDave: are you sure you want to express yourself this way?

Last edited:
It's not an easy age he is in. I don't know him personally, but what I see from the tournaments coverage, I do have my doubts if he is mature enough to understand his own potential yet and what it means to use that.

Not familiar with sarcasm?

tumblr_o7op55Plex1t5mz64o3_540.gif