• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills II - Resurrection

Granite is definitely my favorite full course out there! This is all fantastic news. Maybe it's time for another summer excursion to HBH!

Does anyone know the Crown Jewel layout? There's a scorecard for it on Udisc and I want to make a map for it. Brandon doesn't know it but he thinks there are a couple holes that play backwards to complete the loop. I wanna see if it works with the redesign of Blueberry Hill.

Does anyone know the Crown Jewel layout? There's a scorecard for it on Udisc and I want to make a map for it. Brandon doesn't know it but he thinks there are a couple holes that play backwards to complete the loop. I wanna see if it works with the redesign of Blueberry Hill.

From Redae in post #1417 of the other thread (coincidentally, right after one of your posts):
"John sent me the Crown Jewel Layout:

Play Blueberry 1-3, then reverse tee #4 to gold 13. Then 14-18 gold make up 9. Bear 1-3, woodland 16-18 and granite 1-2...then reverse #3 granite to 18 granite! Back 9!"

I had never heard of the crown jewel until recently but there was also a Granberry layout and another hybrid. I think we tried playing Granberry once but it was confusing AF. They even had scorecard/ maps for it if I remember correctly. Maybe we missed the path to the zipline uphill that JJ mentioned. At least competent people are running it now.:clap:

oh yeah I asked the wife and Woodland/bear was the other hybrid. This was like 7 or 8 years ago but that was before The Bear was done. You played a couple of the first bear holes then it was basically woodlands if I remember correctly. This is still my all time absolute favorite place to disc golf. There is nothing close IMO. Make Chestnut Hill a 9 again because it's the best night golf course in the universe!!! Keep it up MM and company. This place is otherworldly even in non disc golfers hands. I patiently await right minded folks can do here. :clap:

There's White Gold also. Those were all Johnnie inventions to up his course count. I don't think he came up with the Crown Jewel but I would love to hear the history of it. I don't think Granberry works with the redesign either, at least not the final version.

Last edited:
There's White Gold also. Those were all Johnnie inventions to up his course count. I don't think he came up with the Crown Jewel but I would love to hear the history of it. I don't think Granberry works with the redesign either, at least not the final version.
There will be a Granberry 24 or 25 and a BlueRidge 24 when the dust settles. White Gold was there from the beginning simply playing the White tees on the Gold course. Plus, we've got some ideas for new short loops so players in a time crunch can still play some holes on each course. In one day you could play 48 holes from the five hilltop courses. Maybe completing "The Crown Jewels" in a day might be the best 5-loop combo among these below?
Dozen Blueberries
Berry New 12
Rock Solid 12
Rock Bottom 9
Really Green 9
Greenback 9
Gold Niner
SlicTic Gold 9
SlicTic Golberry 12
Bearable Trail 9/12

We had another bear visit while I was home for a couple days, the boss sent me this pic this morning. Looks like my camp is a total loss. He got into the pro shop too but just tipped over a bucket full of trash. I loved staying on the hill but I'll have to move to the bunkhouse now.

IMG_3271.jpg

Quick update from an outsiders view: a group of 6 of us just spent 3 days playing golf up on the hill. Here's my initial reflection.

Gold: you can tell a lot of trimming (tee box areas, fairway lanes, and greens) had occurred. Grass was short or manageable on all holes. It was cart friendly. The redesign (phase C) was complete the last day we were there. Hole 13 plays same fairway but ends about 300 ft up fairway and is tucked 15' into left side of tree line (basic straight throw with light fade at end of flight). Not a standout hole, but ok. Hole 14 was open field throw, approximately 300'ish feet. It doesn't fit the gold course IMO, just too basic. Hole 15 is a gem!! 500'ish ft hole, plays slightly uphill to a big rock then goes down and over old hole 13's green to a pin tucked into the woods. My favorite of the redesigned holes and totally fits the flavor of the gold course. It will take a year to beat holes 14 and 15 in, they were pretty rough feeling since they had literally just been cut out. Overall, this course has received a ton of work since the last time I was at Highbridge (about 3 yrs ago) and it is looking and playing great.

Granite: this course was in the best shape overall, very clean tee box areas, fairways were all groomed and the lanes all trimmed, rough was cut back, greens were in great shape. There were a couple things different than I had remembered, with one hole having a complete different green that I had never seen in my previous 3 visits to Highbridge. If you remember the big "downed tree" hole (I can't recall which hole #) the basket was just pass the downed tree on a small mound on the right side of the fairway. Anyway, it now goes slightly left and up a steep hill where the pin is located at the top of the hill amongst some trees. This must have been the original design placement and I think it adds a little difficulty to the hole, great change IMO! This course tops Gold as of right now in having survived the years of overall neglect by the previous owner. It has recovered nicely and looks fantastic!

Woodland: this was just as I had expected and remembered , except one hole (previous owner used the fairway for the whitetail course but has now been reclaimed for the woodland green course). The course is in great shape and looks beautiful!

Blueberry: very sadly, and to no fault of MM, this course is not the same as we remembered. What was once a fan favorite of our group (because of its natural beauty, mild challenge, walkability , mix of short and long holes etc.) was our least favorite course of the trip. It looks tired, a bit neglected, and has lost its shine (other than hole 2 which has never looked better). The redesign of many of its holes is a definite minus (several holes are missing and we had to play Granite holes, other holes were altered from the original layout and not in a good way). I'm hoping the holes we played were only phase B of the redesign and that there is a better plan for the permanent phase C hole designs (in fact, I'm pretty sure MM is hard at work figuring this out). Again, I want to reiterate that this has NOTHING to do with MM and everything to do with the previous owner. He let this once pristine course turn into a lesser version of itself and his current selfishness has only hurt the legacy of Blueberry by causing a redesign that (as of now) hurts the course and the golfing community. Is Blueberry playable, absolutely. Is it what it once was, no. Can it find a new identity (because it will never be the same), I'm sure MM and his crew will do their best to make this happen.

Other observations: the pro shop and surrounding area looks better than ever. Many of the old stages, a burnt down cabin, and random piles of crap from JJ have been cleaned up. The courses are super clean, I think we only saw one random beer can on the courses. The rough, fairways, tee boxes, and greens were ALL mowed and trimmed better than ever. JJ would have some parts of the courses cut but there were always parts of the courses he just didn't manage. This was the first time I experienced all courses completely cut and managed, it was awesome! Many of the tee box benches were replaced or fixed. It is abundantly clear which parts of the hill are owned by MM and which parts are owned by JJ. Random thought: JJ, what he!! are you going to do with the thousands of tires you have strewn about your properties??? It is an absolute disgrace and it makes you a hypocrite based off your previous "largest organic blah blah blah" you preached for so many years. Thousands of half buried rubber tires and thousands of rubber tires in massive piles cannot be environmentally friendly and it sure as he!! isn't organic in that state! I feel for MM as he tries to navigate around JJ's piles of crap collected by the Honka house as well as the rest of the land JJ owns. We can only hope that JJ looses or sells the rest of his his land to someone who will #1 allow dg to coexist with it #2 will take care of the land the way it deserves. I don't want JJ to be broke and homeless, but it sure would be nice if he just left the hill to those who really care about that land and will manage it with integrity and respect for Mother Nature.

Finally: would I recommend a trip to Highbridge right now? A resounding YES!! It looks the best it has looked in years! MM and his faithful crew have already left their imprint on the hill. We ran into him a couple times while we were there and I made the comment that the hill is starting to smile again. I think this resonated with him as he had a small but proud smirk on his face. He seemed very humble and was cognitive of the massive amount of work still left on the hill to get it to where he wants it. He was also professional to us, in that he never once mentioned JJ or the crap he has had to put up with, fix, clean up, and work around (he can't clean JJ's crap piles on JJ's land). I want to be clear, the land that MM owns and/or manages has never looked better. The irony is that because his land looks so good and JJ's land looks so bad it makes JJ's crap stick out even more. Ain't that a kick in the sack, lol. If you are contemplating a trip to Highbridge, be reassured that you will love what you see and will have a great time. I left confident that the hill is now in better hands! Thx MM and friends for a great experience at Highbridge!!

Quick update from an outsiders view: a group of 6 of us just spent 3 days playing golf up on the hill. Here's my initial reflection.
Thanks for the update. Sounds like things are progressing well. Here are a few notes regarding things that should get better.

Gold: You didn't comment on the new 12 which I thought will end up as good and perhaps even more challenging as old 12 now that there will be an OB line on the right side of the fairway in addition to the pond on the left. New 13 is old 15 to the original short pin so nothing new other than it will replace old 14 as the "par 3 break" in the string of par 4 holes from 10 thru new 12. Maybe MM didn't mention that new 14 will eventually be a par 4 dogleg with a tee in the old 14 fairway where you have to throw maybe 200 feet uphill just to get into the open before doglegging right to what will likely be an elevated pin near Mile Rd. Glad new 15 is shaping up as a nice new addition.

Blueberry: Definitely in transition. I would have thought new hole 3 teeing from beyond hole 2's pin platform to old 8 would be a cool par 4 hole? Otherwise the only other change at the moment is a shorter long tee on old 3 which is now 5. The net changes by the time MM gets to plan C should be old 6, 7, 8 and 18 will be gone, replaced by the new 3 which uses old 8s cool pin placement on the rocks, a new hole that uses the wooded portion of old 8 going downhill in the opposite direction, and two new holes carved through the huge untapped wooded area north of holes 10 & 11. All the other holes will remain. Perhaps they just need more of MM's magic touch to regain their original luster.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like things are progressing well. Here are a few notes regarding things that should get better.

Gold: You didn't comment on the new 12 which I thought will end up as good and perhaps even more challenging as old 12 now that there will be an OB line on the right side of the fairway in addition to the pond on the left.

Ah, I totally forgot that new hole. I loved the pond/swamp on the left of the fairway. It effects longer drives the hyzer too quick (for RHBH) and the approach to the green is super fun and as it is guarded by the swamp and a tree line. It was a very rough cut in to the green as I mentioned it literally changed the last day we were there. Great addition though, I loved the hole!

So this happened today. From MMs FB page:

BREAKING NEWS FROM THE HILL!

We are very grateful to announce that Northern Lights Disc Golf is the new Title Sponsor of our Woodland Green course. Company owner Bryan Lagergren is very generously donating 18 Chainstar Pro baskets in return for this sponsorship. I'm at a total loss for words other than thank you so much Northern Lights and Bryan for this and everything else that you've done for Hignbridge in the past. Looking forward to our future.

Everyone please check out Northern Lights Disc Golf and support Bryan and give him a huge thank you next time you see him.

In other news, the new Blueberry Hill holes are ready and open for play . No more using Granite Ridge holes. Just follow the signs. You'll play 1 - 13 then A& B, then 16 - 18.

Didn't Prodigy already donate baskets for Woodlands?

What's the status of Bear? Any chance it's playable by the weekend of HBH Open?

Didn't Prodigy already donate baskets for Woodlands?

What's the status of Bear? Any chance it's playable by the weekend of HBH Open?

Prodigy baskets will go on Blueberry, Cale has offered MM a great deal as soon as the $ is available. Bear will probably get the Woodland baskets, not much chance it will be playable by the Open though. We'll most likely start on Bear this fall. We'll be very busy for the next two weeks prepping for Furthur and the HH Open. Chestnut campground is getting all the attention this week, MM is very close to getting his permit.

Cool. I kinda figured Bear would be the last of the courses to get cleaned up. For as awesome as it is, I get it: not too many people actually want to play it.

I may be making a second trip up in the fall if it's playable before the snow falls. :thmbup: