• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills II - Resurrection

What's the story on the hybrid Woodland Bear layout?
Only 7 holes of the new Bear course could be properly completed to prepare for hosting the Pro Worlds in August 2007. The plan was to combine 11 holes from the white level (900 rated) Woodland Greens course next to the 7 new gold level Bear holes (1000 rated) to create a hybrid 18 hole layout to be played as one of three courses by divisions other than MPO.

So this new event on July 5th will revisit the 2007 Pro Worlds layout. Looking at the Highbridge map, the routing will be The Bear holes 1, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10 then crossing over to play 11 Woodland Greens holes 8 through 18. A 1000 rated round should come in around 53, equivalent to a mixed pin placement blue level (950 rated) Blueberry layout.

I don't think the full Bear was done for a few years after Worlds. I played the Woodland Bear quite a few times before ever playing THE Bear. It's a fun layout.

Our weekend ....

Myself + 5 buddies from MIlwaukee and St Paul took the usual 5 hour ride to Highbridge last weekend. We have gone there for 9 straight years and the property just continues to get more impressive.

Every year we have been treated with kindness and respect, which makes these weekends truly unforgettable. We dealt with John leading up to last year and when we told John the courses needed to be ready, he always stepped up. We don't see a difference in 2019 or this weekend as Tom & Crippler worked tirelessly all weekend to get the courses mowed.

Nobody was up there! It was like we rented out the place for the entire weekend. Perfect weather, deer running through the fairways, and more open lanes then years previous.

We went Blueberry Friday night then Gold,
Woodland, Granite Saturday with the finale Sunday @ Bear. Tom promised us Bear would be mowed and he did not disappoint.... The course was immaculate and always the favorite of our group.

One thing that was different this year was camping down past the courses. We loved the camping in the woods at Chestnut but this was actually way better! Pretty sweet starting Woodland #10 from your site and then walking 25 feet from Woodland #9 pin to your tent.

Thanks again Tom & Crippler.... Special
shout out to Tom replying to texts with the speed and detail expected. See you in September for our annual outing. Gonna have 12 this year for Wisconsin vs. Colorado Ryder Cup format!

Who has the biggest one?

The long tee to pin on that map is at least 1335, some say 1385. The 1776 tee would be straight back from the current long tee, throwing across the 17 fairway. However, that area is overgrown currently. You might have to go up towards the 17 pin placements for a 1776 temp tee without clearing.

What I know is that the 1776 tee is relatively in the open right now. On the map it is about halfway between the #17 tee marker and the #7 tee marker so as to make a dogleg-right over the regular long tee.
I measured to that regular long tee with my 100M tape a few years ago. I don't remember the exact measurement but it was within a few feet of 1400' so that is what I remember. Also I moved the goal a few feet last year. So I believe that 1385' is a really good #.
So what I remember is that 1335 was known to be an incorrect number really early on, but 50' was not a real issue AND if some other course were to claim a 1350' hole to be even longer than Highbridge, the true length could be revealed. So that vanity of having the biggest morphed into the 1776 tee which has probably never actually been measured.

Now I claim that I do not have the best memory in the world. However, because my 3 lots and cottage front this hole, I have paid particular attention. I've seen a lot! It was 4 years ago last weekend when the hole looked like a mud bogger convention site following the Infrasound festival.:popcorn:

Now I claim that I do not have the best memory in the world. However, because my 3 lots and cottage front this hole, I have paid particular attention. I've seen a lot! It was 4 years ago last weekend when the hole looked like a mud bogger convention site following the Infrasound festival.:popcorn:

Our annual road trip was the weekend after that. The course was absolute trash with it being torn up by vehicles and with broken canopies and tents everywhere.

Going to be there in two days. Unfortunately, the weather took a look at our calendar. As it always does, it sees the days that we have been looking forward to for so long and is now going to take a dump on us. Thursday and Friday should be manageable, but right now it looks like 70% chance of rain all day on Saturday. That day, of all days, we wanted to play sun-up to sun-down with it being the longest daylight day of the year.

With the weather looking as it is, we will likely play Gold and Granite on Friday. I have a sneaky suspicion that if it is going to rain, and if we are willing to play through it, Woodland and Bear would be the best choices to hide from the rain in the forest. We are bringing our mountain bikes to cycle and play Gold and Granite, which I suspect would be near impossible if the rain turned those fairways to mud.

Going to be there in two days. Unfortunately, the weather took a look at our calendar. As it always does, it sees the days that we have been looking forward to for so long and is now going to take a dump on us. Thursday and Friday should be manageable, but right now it looks like 70% chance of rain all day on Saturday. That day, of all days, we wanted to play sun-up to sun-down with it being the longest daylight day of the year.

With the weather looking as it is, we will likely play Gold and Granite on Friday. I have a sneaky suspicion that if it is going to rain, and if we are willing to play through it, Woodland and Bear would be the best choices to hide from the rain in the forest. We are bringing our mountain bikes to cycle and play Gold and Granite, which I suspect would be near impossible if the rain turned those fairways to mud.

Conditions are improving, tomorrow looks good, 40% on Friday, 30% for Saturday, 40% for Sunday.:thmbup:

Would like to thank Tom for all the work he and others are putting in at Highbridge. Was just there for a long four day Father's Day weekend and the courses are in spectacular shape. Friday morning we played best shot doubles on Bear, Blueberry Hill in the afternoon and Woodland Greens right at sunset. Saturday we rode our bikes while playing Gold in the morning. Played Granite Ridge in the afternoon. Sunday was another round at Blueberry Hill before leaving.
Wish I lived closer as I would definitely play there more often.

Which Course(s) to Play?

I'm hoping to stop at HH tomorrow - July 8th - on my drive from Michigan to Montana. If you could only play one or two rounds there, which courses would you choose? I'm a 900ish rated player with mediocre distance if that makes a difference!

Latest posts