• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How did you get started?

Long time lurker…first time poster. I first started playing in the mid-90's at Dolese Youth Park in OKC when a friend suggested that we try to play. I bought an Innova Starter Pack and tried out the course. I couldn't BH at all, switched to FH and everything started working decently. I would then play periodically until the late 90's/early 2000's in OKC and Austin but didn't take it too seriously.

Fast forward to after a divorce in the summer of 2010 (I had only played about six rounds from 2002-2010). During the aftermath of the divorce, a friend (Shane) invited me to join him and his cousin, whom I've never met, at a local pool hall. I joined them and had a great time playing my #1 hobby. The cousin was chrismalatesta (post #77). Chris is a very competent billiards player.

In early 2011, Shane asked me if I had ever played Disc Golf before. I suggested that the next weekend we should play. I dusted off the cobwebs of my old starter pack and various other disc's that I had acquired and Shane and I headed to Dolese. We both had an absolute blast. It wasn't until a few rounds later that Shane told me that he wasn't very interested in this sport because of his competitive nature with his cousin. He just couldn't beat Chris and therefore didn't really enjoy it. I hadn't known that Chris was a disc golfer.

Chris came into town and the three of us went and played. I was only hitting about 180-220' with the discs I had and Chris handed me an old Xcal that he had which easily added another 40-50'. It was then that I was hooked.

Chris is not exaggerating his distance and aces. I fully expect to sign a disc every time we play. I've signed his disc three times so far.

This summer, I've decided to disc-down and work on my FH form and learn a proper BH from the ground up. That Xcal is now retired. Thanks to all on this forum for all of your invaluable information and unknowingly giving me advice. Disc golf has taken over my #1 hobby, and my pool table is starting to collect dust.

I first saw baskets Libertyville, IL (probably Adler Park) when I was in grade school, maybe the late 1980's. So, I sort of knew the game existed.

I played a lot of Ultimate in high school, college, and grad school. I was dimly aware of disc golf, and maybe sort of thought I'd consider playing it as I got too old for Ultimate.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine, then living in Waco, got to playing casually but regularly. Based on my Ultimate experience, some background in ball golf, and general love of hiking and the outdoors, I was sure I would like the game. And, I was correct. Played two rounds in Waco (Cameron Park) and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was living France at the time and just assumed there weren't likely any courses around. Didn't even consider pursuing the sport at the time. Though, it turns out there is a course in Geneva, Switzerland (Les Eveaux; admittedly, it would have been 30-40 minutes from me).

I moved to Valparaiso, IN, last August. And, I somehow heard that one of the other fathers in my daughter's preschool class played. He used to play a lot in college, and still has several baskets on his property, though he doesn't play many rounds. So, I learned that there was a course in town (Rogers Lakewood). When my Waco friend came through just before Christmas I asked him to bring discs, and we played a few more rounds.

For Christmas 2011 I asked for, and received, some DG gear: an Innova starter set (Leopard, Shark, Aviar: the Aviar's the only one of the three that I haven't lost, and I've moved on to a set of heavier Aviars now). As well as the one Disc Golf book that I know of.

I played basically twice a week through the winter, and then maybe 3-4 times a week after daylight savings time. Plus field work, now putting at home (father's day basket), etc. I try to try other courses when I'm traveling (particular on business, without family). And I've played in several tournaments.

I still haven't broken out of the Novice ranks yet, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the game. I've been limited the last month due to a back injury, but I hope to ramp frequency of play back up soon.

Last edited:
I'm still a college student so I'm not going to have one of those nostalgia stories about playing once through college then having kids and starting to replay with kids but anyways, a few summers ago my brother always invited me to play but I never decided to go just because it didn't sound like the funnest thing to do and hanging out with my older brother and his friends can be obnoxious.

Finally decided to go, can't even remember what I threw but it was pretty fun. I went a couple of more times and decided to by a disc. My brother convinced me to buy a champ boss:wall:. I think it was just because he wanted to throw it but didn't want to actually purchase it. I could hardly throw it but god did I know how to play the skip with it haha.

My moment of addiction was when I hit an ace (first and only so far:()with that boss. It was all luck but hey, it is still an ace. I actually got my first ace before my brother so it was nice to have a little bragging rights over him even though he has been playing.

Needless to say, I play all the time with him now. I got my girlfriend into playing and we play all the time together too. She even has a purple fade tourney bag and even 20ish discs so its pretty awesome.

I was bored after work in the summer and played with some friends. First disc was a beat to death pro d buzzz that I found. It was so understable so I rolled it for most drives. It was pretty soft so it made for a great approach disc as well.

I started because a few years ago I had some health problems that kept me from riding my bike. My neighbors asked me if I wanted to come play frisbee golf. I figured I could handle walking through the woods and throwing a frisbee. How hard could it be?? :p

My start

Played 10 years ago with brother in law he moved away I only played 2 or 3 times with him and never went again until year ago and met a new friend who was big time into it with another friend so a year later im hooked with 50-75 disc laying around and a bag full for he courses....... 1st disc beast, avair and roc

Wonder if anyone else wanted to puke from a particular story on here?

I am just pretty sure some people I used to hang out with would talk about disc golf from time to time, and I remember going out and using a borrowed disc, that I couldn't throw worth a damn (Not much has changed) and then I remember starting work at a new job, and some guys I knew from High school were talking about going discing, and I said I'd be willing to go, since I had absolutely nothing else going on, so we stopped on the way to the course, and I bought a Star Wraith and a DX Rhyno....

A few years later, I started to play a little more often, and decided to put more effort into it...

I went to this camp down in Westby, WI which is a ways from me and one of my councilors asked me if I wanted to play frisbee golf. I said sure because I have heard it before and remembered that my brother plays it. By the end of the week I loved it and bought a custom disc about the camp and came home to play with my brother and havn't stopped playing ever since.

I started here in Tallahassee when a few friends and myself went to the local Sports Authority and picked up a disc each. My first disc and I still have it is a green DX Cheetah. it is beat up pretty bad from tree hits. Played first in 2008 then not much in 2009 a little more in 2010 and a whole bunch in 2011 and 2012.

Started in the late 90s and was on and off until last year. No idea what my first disc was. I know I had a red DX FB at one point. My brother in law lost the last disc I had from back then, except my fat tire flyer which I bought at the new Belgium brewery in around 2002. I really got back into the game when my city put in a decent course a minute from my house last July.

I first played disc golf in high school, 4 years ago, but didn't really get into it until a year later when the Worlds came through Kansas City. That got me motivated to start playing more often.

I competed in my first frisbee tournament in 1972, and made it to the National Finals in 1973. Back then, you couldn't go back, so I was done competing until I got to college, when I got involved in the Frisbee club there. The president of the club had designed an object course on campus. This was in 1977. That was when I joined the PDGA. I didn't play on a pole hole course until the next year. Not many people can say that they joined the PDGA before they played on a basket course.

I got started with some friends I used to play ultimate with. They asked me to play disc golf one day after we were done playing a pick up game. I didn't think it would be fun at all. One of my friends gave me a Frisbee Disc "S" driver and we played a full 18. I was hooked after that and began buying discs like crazy! Out of a group of about 8 people who played with me a couple years ago when I started, there is only 1 other than myself who plays somewhat seriously.

I will start this off with the whole back-story behind me getting started in this game... I was an avid golfer (and was getting better, too) and would always tell people that tried to get me to play disc golf, "I'm not playing that stupid game! I will only every play REAL golf!" This continued on for probably a year and a half until during the last semester of my senior year in high school, I took a class called Lifetime Activities where one of the week long units was disc golf.

The school provided a set of three discs (Aviar, Shark, Leopard) on loan while we were there. About halfway through the week I began to realize that this game is pretty fun, so I went to the local store and bought three discs: ESP FLX Challenger, ESP FLX Buzzz, and ESP FLX Predator. I hated the heck out of the predator because I couldn't get it to fly straight (go figure lol), but enjoyed the Buzzz quite a bit. I stayed at this point for quite a while only playing about once a week or so, until the end of last summer.

A supervisor at my work overheard me talking about disc golf with another co-worker, and told me about the South Dakota State Championships that were coming up that his wife was co-TD'ing. After some thinking about it, I decided to give it a try and went ahead and played in Intermediate.

I felt like I wasn't playing very well, but it was my first tournament and I didn't expect too much, but lo and behold when it came time for the awards ceremony, I placed 8th and managed to win a free disc! :)

Ever since that tournament almost a year ago now I have been ridiculously obsessed and have shaved almost 10 strokes off my average. I know now that I have a passion that will help me live a long and enjoyable life.

I was actually introduced to the game by people who no longer play it. This was maybe three or even four years before I started playing in 2006.

The first disc I used, believe or not, was a Polecat ( yes, a stinkin' putter). I didn't know better, I was a noob. A geeky noob at that.

My first course was South Mountain DGC in Bethlehem, PA. That was June of 2006. I got friends hooked on it and when I return to my roots Labor Day weekedn, South Mountain is a welcome stop.:)

Just happened on a course and tried it and then forgot about it. Later on my girlfriend and I bought a dog and I hated taking it for walks, so I took it disc golfing.