• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How I broke the 500 foot barrier

LOL! Do you, like me, reread your comment a couple times before posting when you call out someone for their grammar? When I do, I make damn everything is spelled correctly and proper punctuation is used. Otherwise, I see a typo afterword and say, eh, fk it.

Edit: I do it sometimes, but can't stand when it's done by others to me. Hypocrite? Eh, maybe.

I agree. I recheck my grammar before posting. That's my thing. I also believe grammar or punctuation has no place on a forum as long as the poster gets his point across. Hence, I see no reason to criticize.

I'm intrigued...really excited to try this tomorrow, particularly since I've just started over with my other arm!

I think I accidentally, partially, figured this out a couple years ago while watching a Will Schusterick video. When I applied what I saw, which was actually reaching back MORE, I instantly saw an increase in distance, accuracy and a feeling of a smooth release. What I probably ran into was this, that I was moving my body around the disc to achieve the sense that I was reaching back more, and i didn't even realize it. Over the last year, I actually LOST that, and couldn't find it again to save my life.

I couldn't be more jazzed to give this a whirl tomorrow.

Super excited for you... good luck! :)

Get loose and warm before throwing, there was much more force coursing through the arm and foot/ankle in my case. I finally felt the 'blow out the shoe sideways' force Feldberg talks about... my foot is sore today.

LOL @ the haters. I have yet to see a video I could clearly see distance anyway.

The biggest difference to me is when someone claims to make these great strides and says things we know aren't right as far as form or basic athletic development. The routine you've set yourself up with and core work and focusing on hips is huge. Spot on advice if there were no number attached to the distance at all.

...The routine you've set yourself up with and core work and focusing on hips is huge. Spot on advice if there were no number attached to the distance at all.

Totally agree, his core routine has no doubt helped his pivot quickness which is a huge factor in distance.

Damned if I do, damned if I don't. Gregory Bateson was famous for studying this type of communication pattern, as it can be very harmful to a developing brain.

I only commented after you said you would put up a video.

It was meant to be tongue in cheek.

Bateson sounds familiar, I believe I read him in a few different classes while attending college.

Anyway, how's that video coming along?

Last edited:
(For RHBH throwers) Ok, so you're about to do the ol' X-step. You step out with your right foot and cross behind that foot with your left. Freeze that image. You still with me? Good! A la Paul McBeth you pop out the disc directly in front of you. Freeze again. You're left foot is still 'X'ed' behind your right. Now, in order to impart the forward momentum of the X step, the entire reason we don't throw a drive from a standstill, we must get our body around the disc... this is the sweet and glorious key (at least for me...) Leave the 'popped out in front of you disc' just about right where it's at AS YOU MOVE FORWARD AND PLANT/BRACE your right leg. Initiate the swing with your hips, drive the elbow, you know the drill! I used to physically reach the disc back on the backswing, (instead of 'freezing it' and moving forward relative to it) which I have absolutely proven to myself today is a bona fide momentum killer. I might as well have just thrown from a standstill! I truly hope this helps someone, let me know!

You know...I've experienced more consistent distance lately and I'm pretty sure I'm doing something like this, but I'm going to make sure I'm doing this now. Thanks!! :clap:

How I broke the 500 foot barrier
Quite simply, I broke it by throwing 501 ft. :|

... still haven't broken the 501 ft barrier... :(

How I broke the 500' barrier:
Climbed up 200' of elevation to throw from the tee box of hole 18 blue at Diamond X.

To those who know deep down they have the goods to toss a disc 500 feet but haven't done it yet, this explanation is for you. I threw 520 feet today [measured with a wheel after 360 feet (goal post to goal post) on level ground]

Any progress on making a vid? Thx.

Id like to see a video. Not of the 500ft throw, but showing us the technique while explaining it.

Id like to see a video. Not of the 500ft throw, but showing us the technique while explaining it.

Check the stickies form thread at the top of this sub forum sw22's door frame drills are basically this and there's one pretty rubbish one from me about it- working around the disc

Check the stickies form thread at the top of this sub forum sw22's door frame drills are basically this and there's one pretty rubbish one from me about it- working around the disc

Kinda specifically door frame vid 3. My personal opinion. Is too watch the doorframe 3, 1st then Watch 1, 2 and 3 again, then watch that 4 window slow motion distance clip and watch will. Watch how long and how much movement his disc stays in one place then watch doorframe 3, then 1,2 and 3 again.
For me? There were some details and ah-ha moments in each step there.
Now putting it in to practice properly???? Eh...

Last edited:
I parked a 525' hole today for the first time, about 8' away. The closest I've come before is about 50' away and have only done that a handful of times. I started reaching and rotating back more than normal, and it really made a difference. I was getting consistently more distance all day, so it really was a sort of break through.

I learned experientially that max D non 360 form is a different animal than regular long distance form.
So now I have 2 basic RHBH throwing patterns for distance and I'm trying to blend them to see what happens, while also refining the individual patterns. Long story short, I'm still in an exploratory phase with the distance shots but I do look forward to making those and other videos in the future, forehand included :thmbup:

(I am working on some drills to make the whole thing easier... trying to K.I.S.S)

I did notice in the 'Distance w/ Dion' video at about the 45 sec. mark that he essentially freezes the disc while he moves forward relative to it before he goes boom. It takes some pausing to see it, but it be there. I've also noticed that it takes a longer stride forward to get in position when throwing in this manner. Maybe that's why some pros seem to be in that 'elongated' stance at the brace? Don't know, just a tingly feeling that's the case.

I've also learned that my training routine is inadequate to support continued distance advancements, (just healed from moderate oblique strain) so I'll be able to present these insights when I finally do make a vid.

I got hailed on today, how's your weather been?

Latest posts