• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to get that extra distance?

To achieve max distance, I sacrificed a goat and prayed to the gods of the wind to make sure that every time I throw the wind is at the perfect rate of speed and direction.

All joking aside, I spent a lot of time in a field working on smooth form and release. I now can safely say with a slow x-step as my run up, I can obtain 430 of golf distance. My longest 'raw' distance throws are thrown with flat to slight anhyzer release. My furthest measured distance throw was 571 at Plante's Ferry Park in Spokane WA. It was a 159 ESP Nuke thrown on anhyzer with a 8-12 mph tailwind. I think I could've thrown further but was having issues getting the disc on the right angle to ride the wind instead of being pushed down by the wind.

To get raw distance, it requires 3 things. Optimum conditions, patience and lots and lots of practice. Good luck

The type of throw I use for max distance depends on the conditions and the goals. Hyzer flips are more controllable, but yield less distance for me at times. Also, if I have a left to right wind, I'll often thrown an anny in place of a hyzer flip of the course allows it.

For pure raw distance, high anhyzers with less stable discs, when coupled with the right conditions, are the way to go. I can get 400' distance with golf shots, but my best thrown has been 525 with a 175 icon cannon with a 15 mph left to right tailwind. Throw an extremely tall, steep anhyzer with the bottom of the flight plate shown to the wind, the wind will catch the disc and carry it a very long ways.

Main problem with hyzer flips is the vulnerability to wind. Use them judiciously. If you have strong crosswind, you might want to go with the big anny with a stable disc that fades just enough at the end to land flat, or a big hyzer with a less stable disc, depending on which side the wind is coming from. Use that cross wind for extra carry. Texas has more wind than any other state.

Agreed. However, I think Crossfit should only be attempted by people that have a fitness base and some existing knowledge of lifting techniques. They don't teach that in the classes. They just tell you to rep out 50 pull ups, followed by another 30 power cleans. 95% of the class will be kipping their pull ups and cleaning with arched backs. It's the worst place in the world for weekend warriors that have no clue what they are doing. I guess this discussion should be held in another thread, though.

If you believe this than you have taken part in classes with bad or inexperienced instructors. Crossfit is a great way to improve your body for anything that requires some athleticism.

Kipping is not bad, it is just another kind of pullup unless you try to do weighted kipping pullups. Bad form with weights is usually due to the person using a weight that is to heavy for them. When in doubt, go lighter. I have participated in a few crossfit workouts when I go and visit my friend. I have never had problems and would do it more often if I had a gym closer than 45 min away.

Kipping is not a pull-up at all. You are just using momentum from your body to get you up. Plus you look stupid doing it.

Kipping is not a pull-up at all. You are just using momentum from your body to get you up. Plus you look stupid doing it.

That's like saying a drive with a run up isn't really a drive because you use footwork to create momentum. It takes skill to do both. They are just different techniques to achieve different results. Dead hang pull ups are ideal for strength and kipping pull ups are good for achieving a higher rep count while working more muscles in the body.

i prefer to skip all of the hard work and just shoot up some 'roids to get that extra D. this is america, why should i have to work for anything??!?

Im not a pro or an expert, but from teaching newbies and improving my own game, its all about technique and arm speed. Work on perfecting your form and the distance will come. I remember Feldberg came into town and gave a workshop and gave me personally like 4 different tiny things in my driving form to do and it has made a huge difference.

I have learned monster sidearm s throws using Champion Bosses and Blizz Apes which added massive amounts of feet to my drives.

I also crush Blizz TeeDevils too.

Hope this helps!

Its funny that so many people are recommending discs or technique advice, when the OP only asked if a hyzer-flip or a flex shot was the most effective for big distance drives. Apparently, people don't read.

I play here in Texas and just need to step up my bomb drives. Is the best way for huge distance to hyzer-flip something or throw the big anny with something more stable

Its funny that so many people are recommending discs or technique advice, when the OP only asked if a hyzer-flip or a flex shot was the most effective for big distance drives. Apparently, people don't read.

Might want to brush up on your own comprehension skills. :doh:

yeah a big anny with something more stable that will flex out at the end of the flight.

Isn't a flex shot another way to describe an anny shot with a more overstable disc? That's what I always thought at least.

I find that to be the best for my longest max d drives.

Latest posts