• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to throw a Valkyrie?

As people have alluded to already, the Valkyrie is fairly understable. You NEED to release it with hyzer angle if you plan to throw it hard at all. If you do this, you should notice a gentle S-curve on your Valkyrie. Granted, your disc might be too light for you, but I thought I was overpowering my Sidewinder for the longest time until I realized I needed to release it with A LOT of hyzer. You will notice, the the harder you throw it, the more of a hyzer angle you will need. Give it a shot, and you should see some progress. It's just one of those discs you have to play with a bit to figure out.

I ain't no scientificalist, and maybe only the MythBusters can answer this, but could the color of the disc potentially affect the curing process as far as the light spectrum involved? It seems red and blue are the usual suspects in this debate...different wavelengths in the light spectrum.

It also seems logical to assume (I know, logic and uninformed assumption are pretty much mutually exclusive, but also the foundation for scientific inquiry!) that the materials used to obtain the color of the disc (i.e. MINERALS) could affect the final characteristics of the disc. I'm sure the overall stability of a disc comes from the actual aerodynamic design, and hence advanced players might not notice a difference if they're able to accelerate their throws beyond the variations (if any) the final plastic may retain from the manufacture.

Just thinking, like I tend to do at an uncontrollable rate most of the time... :)

My experience is that the lighter or more understable a disc is the more important angle of release is. When I try to throw hard I have a tendency to anhyzer the disc. If you do that with a Valk it probably will just go right and never come back. But if you throw it smooth and flat you should get a nice S curve.

What is it with everyone suggesting heavier discs? If you're not throwing 400'+, you should NOT be throwing max-weight drivers!

I have a champ yellow valk. I throw 300 consist, and i noticed it was turning more than i wanted. So to fix the problem I throw it with some hyzer as well as nose down snap as I release. Last night i had the longest drive ever with it at 370 and it faded at the end. Awesome to watch

The more snap you have the more hyzer angle you probably need. I throw it at about 2oclock

I throw the valk, wraith, and destroyer. Each has a characteristic that dictates a proper release and a weight that is suitable for you.

The valk does need to be hyzered some if you are going to really crank on it or you will turn it over. But she will really fly when done correctly. Gee maybe that's why its held the distance record for so long.

As for the weight that is both physical and mental. I would not recommend a max weight for most people it won't go anywhere near your max distance. As for the mental part if the disc is not comfortable to me then its useless. Try different weights and see what works. However, if your convinced a certain weight is good or bad then it will effect your throw.

I ain't no scientificalist, and maybe only the MythBusters can answer this, but could the color of the disc potentially affect the curing process as far as the light spectrum involved? It seems red and blue are the usual suspects in this debate...different wavelengths in the light spectrum.

It also seems logical to assume (I know, logic and uninformed assumption are pretty much mutually exclusive, but also the foundation for scientific inquiry!) that the materials used to obtain the color of the disc (i.e. MINERALS) could affect the final characteristics of the disc. I'm sure the overall stability of a disc comes from the actual aerodynamic design, and hence advanced players might not notice a difference if they're able to accelerate their throws beyond the variations (if any) the final plastic may retain from the manufacture.

Just thinking, like I tend to do at an uncontrollable rate most of the time... :)

I suppose that since light travels at different rates and strengths through the color and is used to help cure it ( from what I see here that is the case) then it could effect it.

However, I think not. The more likely culprit is our own preconceived ideas effecting the throw (there are tons of studies done on how the mind effects what we do and how we do it) and drag. I am more familiar with Innova so I will use their disc type.

With Innova you have 4 basic plastics with some variations (Pro-D for example). They are DX, Pro, Champion, and Star. Each has a different texture, rigidity, and speed. Texture would equate to friction and if you have more or less friction than you will have more or less drag. Causing the disc to have slightly different behaviors with each type of plastic. With the centrifugal force put on a disc then the ability of the plastic to maintain its shape would also effect its flight. The last is speed and the ability of the thrower to achieve the optimum speed and torque. Since each of us is different than this would also have to be factored in.

Anyway just a thought.

Last edited:
I cant say my claim is accurate because like you said there is no written evidence to prove it. But with around 5 years of playing my theory has not failed me yet. Take any same innova, champion or star disc in the same weight (1 red and 1 blue) and compare, I think you might be surprised. I'll bet the red will be more overstable than the blue, and remember it still is the same disc so the difference wont be huge but should be enough to tell.

Seems a little "crazy" to call my theory crazy if youve never tried it for yourself.;):)

thats why i throw mostly yellow discs :p

I recently purchased a 166g Champion Valkyrie and I have had some issues throwing it.

Why do you first thing to buy the Champion discs even you never threw Valky before? DX is a lot cheaper and if you don't like it, then you can give it to someone else.

175 DX Valkyrie is my first disc that broke 300+ mark after mastering the 175 DX Cheetah years ago.

DX has better control and distance than Champion types. Also you can able to learn its behaviors from being new to broke-in a lot faster as oppose to Champion/Star which is unpredictable and imperfect.

If you are big arm thrower, go for 175g. Small arm thrower should try 168-172g. Oh, yeah, the Valky needs a bit of hzyer to achieve the long S-shots.

as for color effecting the flight...when cyclones first came out...the lighter colors seemed less stable(white,yellow,pink) than the darker(black,red,blue)...maybe it was me or can anyone that played in the 90's second me on this?

I've been throwing a 167 star valk for a while now and I seem to get my most predictable flights with about %90 power. I can easily get it in the 350 range with a smooth even release at that power. If it gains some height it gently works it's way right then fades left in a great big S-curve. When it makes that transition from right to left and glides forever the oohs and ahhs are really fun. This is throwing RHBH btw. When I overpower this disc it will turn over into a sky roller in dramatic fashion. If I accidentally grab the valk and muscle it thinking I've got the TeeBird the result is always the same. I can even throw the valk in a bit of a head wind as long as I hyser it a bit and don't muscle it but that's when I'll usually pull out my boss or groove. This is from a guy who likes heavier plastics but just keeps coming back for more of that amazing glide.

I love my dX Valk. It is in the 166g range. It is beat up enough now where you start out with a nice hyzer and it turns right maximizing distance for me. You just have to know your disc(s) and expect for them to do what you want based on your throw(s).

i have 3 valks all ce from overstable, stable and understable

it is a finess disc if u try to over power the disc it will flip so take some power off and it should fly striaght like an arrow i can throw my understable one about a good 400+ ft put a big hyzer angle and it S curve for me. But first finess it untill u get comfortable w/ it then u can start experimentin it w/ full power hope it help.

PS Practice on a field and not a course u can get much better faster that way so u r not rushed from chuckers

I will support the idea that colors and dyes affect the discs' flight. I have two destroyers. One is 168 and a very light blue, almost a white with a blue tint. I also have a bright yellow one, kinda yellowish green, 171. This one is newer and less used than the blueish one. However, the yellowish one is much less stable (except in strong winds, then they are even). I guess the difference isn't that noticeable, but it is for me. The yellowish one is also much more flexible. I would think that the dye might be affecting the rigidity of the plastic.