• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to throw an Aerobie Epic overhead

Punisher

Bogey Member
I just got a Aerobie Epic in the mail yesterday and bought it just for tomahawks and thumbers. I went out today and throw it and tried throwing it on different spots on the rim but could only throw it about 320' and when I threw it flip over like a regular tomahawk then it flip over again and flew like a regular backhand throw. The but bad thing about the disc is its very inconsistent and would not trust it in a tournament. On the bottom of the disc it has five circles ranging in different sizes I was just wondering is where do you guys grip it at and far can you throw it everybody online talks about how the disc can go up to 500'.

Take the disc.
Throw it in the trash.
Keep throwing whatever you had thrown before.

Let me take that Groove out before you shoot though. Don't want any bounce-outs.

And make sure you throw it left of the can first, so it twists back right, then back to center and left upside down, back right, then more right, back to left -- is there a bounce I'm missing in there??? -- then back left to center and glides out to nothing but can!!!!

(correct me on the flight pattern if I'm mistaken)

I just got a Aerobie Epic in the mail yesterday and bought it just for tomahawks and thumbers. I went out today and throw it and tried throwing it on different spots on the rim but could only throw it about 320' and when I threw it flip over like a regular tomahawk then it flip over again and flew like a regular backhand throw. The but bad thing about the disc is its very inconsistent and would not trust it in a tournament. On the bottom of the disc it has five circles ranging in different sizes I was just wondering is where do you guys grip it at and far can you throw it everybody online talks about how the disc can go up to 500'.

I think the main reason people don't throw them is because of their inconsistency, which is due to the crap plastic they're made out of. I had a friend that could throw them 400'+, but it would actually beat in after each throw. After two weeks he said it was completely uncontrollable. I bet if this disc were made out of champion-type plastic it would be in more peoples' bags.

I think the main reason people don't throw them is because of their inconsistency, which is due to the crap plastic they're made out of. I had a friend that could throw them 400'+, but it would actually beat in after each throw. After two weeks he said it was completely uncontrollable. I bet if this disc were made out of champion-type plastic it would be in more peoples' bags.

But then you couldn't tune it!

It's been said, but I'd throw it overhand into a large dumpster. It would have to be an extra large dumpster because the Epic is so unpredictable after leaving the hand.

I only use mine for getting out of trouble. I never throw mine for distance, only short range throws through foliage and over bushes.

Woah, some irrational hatred for the Epic going on here. If you don't have anything else to say than "throw it in the trash" maybe you don't need to comment on the subject...

The fact is that the Epic is the longest thumber disc in the world if thrown correctly. And it is possible to learn how to throw it correctly and (pretty) consistently, but it's going to take a buttload of practice. If you feel it's worth it for you, just keep hucking that thing and trying out different grips and angles.

A buddy of mine just bought one of these. Its just downright goofy looking.

You have to tune it basically every time you throw it. Tune it understable, adjust release angle if needed, throw it REALLY high. I like to grip it so that the widest part of the rim is facing me and my grip is about 45ish degrees from the thinnest part (if that makes sense). It's not very reliable as far as accuracy, but is fun to play with and always gets a lot of ooooos and ahhhhs
I'd imagine you need a pretty good overhand and a smooth snap to get it to work. If you don't already have a good overhand, you will just hurt yourself and give up before you figure it out. I have a very good overhand and can get it to roll almost every time, but I just can't find a practical use for it.

Thank you Kevinmzane do you only throw thumbers with it or do try throwing tomahawks and on your thumber throw do you pinch the bottom of the rim with your index and middle finger or do you put those fingers on the opposite side of the disc. The last question is when you tune it do you want it to be as overstable as possible, understable are in-between.

It shouldn't really matter tomahawk or thumber other than for the direction of flight you want to achieve. I prefer tomahawk for d, but that is just personal preference as I feel I can get more of a solid hit on the release.
My thumber grip is with my 2 fingers on the top side of the disc, but that is also personal preference partially due to the pistol grip style not working well for me on larger rimmed drivers.
And just tune it as understable as you can get it, going around the disc bending the wings down on one another and take it from there until you can dial it in to what works best for you.

Don't spend more than a few throws every few days or so doing this or you will end up hurting yourself. Its not worth having to sit around nursing your arm. Even having a well developed overhand technique, I dont throw overhand unless it is the higher percentage shot by a LONG way.
My epic is never going to have a spot in my bag, I don't care if I could throw it 600 ft. I need absolute consistency and I just don't see that being at all realistic with this disc. If you don't get it to work, don't bother with it, it's really kind of anti-climactic once you figure it out anyway.

Once I threw a few bombs with it, I thought to myself "I know a dozen people who could still out drive me with rollers" and it now has a permanent spot in a dark corner of the closet.

Epics are far from junk nor a novelty, yes the have maximum distance that is not impressive, but with the proper, skill, knowledge and education of how to use this disc you will find it very effecient workhorse. There is a fella on the east coast who plays all am divisions(advanced, ad. masters, ad. grandmasters, etc) and usually places 1st just with a couple epics and and arrow or 2. Funny to watch hotsh8ts get schooled by a oldman throwing epics, it really is. Yes, he has a rating and its 962 and hes a grandmaster. Throw it or dont, but dont knock it because your not smart enough nor patient enough to see its value!

So I'm assuming you also use epics? Or are you also not intelligent enough to wrap your mind around the genius design, being forced to use inferior discs like the rest of us?

I will repeat my advise on the overhand throw of the Epic.

Throw it overhand into a large garbage receptacle. Use the vastly inferior discs that 99.9% of all disc golfers "settle for". Be content. Have fun. Practice putting.

Seriously, if you will practice putting instead of learning the Jedi moves of the Epic, you will be a MUCH better player. <----- this will now be my new signature!

Last edited:

Latest posts