• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hyzer-flip good, anhyzer-flip... bad?

RHINESEL

Double Eagle Member
I see a lot of people advocating hyzer-flipping.

"I just hyzer-flip that TL and shoot it right up the pipe"

But than people put down anyhyzer-flipping a disc claiming it is "bad technique".

To me they are just two different ways of throwing a disc to make it what you want to do. Hyzer-flip my Leopard, throw an XL flat, anyhyzer-flip an Avenger, it all works out the same.

Why so much hate for the anhyzer-flip?

I don't even know what an anhyzer flip means ><. Flipping usually refers to turning a disc over into an anhyzer, or just turning over in general. If it starts in an anhyzer, does that mean it turns into a roller in an anhyzer flip?

I don't even know what an anhyzer flip means ><. Flipping usually refers to turning a disc over into an anhyzer, or just turning over in general. If it starts in an anhyzer, does that mean it turns into a roller in an anhyzer flip?

Agreed, I'm not sure exactly what an anhyzer-flip would be or if it even exists. The only thing that would somewhat make sense would be maybe taking an overstable disc, throwing it on an anhyzer line and having it come back? But then it's not really flipping it...

Why so much hate for the anhyzer-flip?

Really can't hate something when I don't know WTF it is.
Is there a youtube vid of the Anhyzer-Flip?
I would think an Anhyzer-flip would be turning the sucker right into the ground or attempting to throw a roller.

Is talking about a flex shot? I don't know of anyone hating on flex shots though.

I think I may know. I used to think I was throwing a Hyzer Flip. However what I was doing was starting my shot with Hyzer and following through with anhyzer. The shot would start out looking like a Hyzer, then flip over. It wasn't flipping because I put so much snap on it. It was flipping because of my follow through.

my experience tells me...

A hyzer flip is more forgiving than a forced flat shot. My leopard is going to finish closer to where I intended it than a firebird if not thrown correctly. There is more room for error with a hyzer flip and I find it easier to aim down tight lines. I used to force my discs over to get more distance but used so much fairway it wasn't beneficial for all courses or holes.. I found myself able to crush in open fields but unable to get much D in tighter fairways. With a hyzer flip you are essentially using the same amount of angle change but keeping the disc on a much straighter flight path. It is also more natural for your body to release on a hyzer angle.

Ok, let me clarify.

Take an overstable disc and throw it on an anhyzer line or RHBH like this "\". Opposite of a hyzer flip. Just the opposite of an understable disc. Use the stability to flip the disc up flat.

Maybe it's called a flex shot, maybe I'm getting my terms messed up.

Ok, let me clarify.

Take an overstable disc and throw it on an anhyzer line or RHBH like this "\". Opposite of a hyzer flip. Just the opposite of an understable disc. Use the stability to flip the disc up flat.

Maybe it's called a flex shot, maybe I'm getting my terms messed up.

Well, a hyzer flip is what the disc does during its flight after it's been released. The term "hyzer flip" has nothing at all to do with the position of the disc while it's in hand. The term for that would simply be hyzer.

In many cases, throwing an overstable disc with an anhyzer release, you can expect the disc will come back to the left (for RHBH). That's not a flip at all. That's simply the discs' natural tendency to follow its rotation.

The hyzer flip can best be thought of as a disc that is turning (flight path) opposite of its rotation. Some discs will display varying degrees of this behavior based on many factors.

for me, an anhyzer flip would be when you throw a disc hyzer, and in the air, it will flip over to an anhyzer flight, hence the S curve.

There's nothing wrong with a flex shot, but unless you have a ton of height and left to right play to work with you'll need a pretty overstable disc to perform a flex shot that doesn't turn into a roller. If you're using an overstable disc you'll get a lot of fade. Many times, especally in wooded areas, you don't have the room for a big flex shot and a big fade is undesireable so you'll throw a more neutral disc on a hyzer to get a straight path.

A flex shot with a very overstable disc is a pretty consistant shot. I used to do it all the time when I was throwing Spirits 300'. I'd just throw on a bit of an anhyzer out to the right and get the big fade and skip to the basket. You can control distance with the angle of release.

The only potential issue is that very overstable discs tend to mask OAT, so if you're performing them all the time and unknowingly have a lot of OAT in your throw when you get to a hole where a flex shot isn't appropriate you might not have a way to get to the basket. Your neutral discs will act very understable and you won't have any control.

A flex shot with a very overstable disc is a pretty consistant shot.
agreed, thats why i prefer flex shots over hyzerflips .

what i dont like about hyzerflips is if you screw up and dont get enough on it and it dosnt flip you end up with a big hyzer and way off line.

There's nothing wrong with a flex shot, but unless you have a ton of height and left to right play to work with you'll need a pretty overstable disc to perform a flex shot that doesn't turn into a roller. If you're using an overstable disc you'll get a lot of fade. Many times, especally in wooded areas, you don't have the room for a big flex shot and a big fade is undesireable so you'll throw a more neutral disc on a hyzer to get a straight path.

A flex shot with a very overstable disc is a pretty consistant shot. I used to do it all the time when I was throwing Spirits 300'. I'd just throw on a bit of an anhyzer out to the right and get the big fade and skip to the basket. You can control distance with the angle of release.

The only potential issue is that very overstable discs tend to mask OAT, so if you're performing them all the time and unknowingly have a lot of OAT in your throw when you get to a hole where a flex shot isn't appropriate you might not have a way to get to the basket. Your neutral discs will act very understable and you won't have any control.

Thank you. Perfect answer for what I was looking for.

Off axis torque, typically caused by not following through properly and rolling your wrist.