• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I hate unsanctioned tournament players....

Upon reflection, my choice of the phrase "not playing disc golf" wasn't precisely what I meant and has been interpreted negatively by some, which I understand. Try this instead. There's a formal definition of the rules of "disc golf" as published by PDGA and WFDF and there are many other forms of disc golf that "should" require qualifying words in front of or after the words "disc golf". So when you go out to play disc golf you're playing an alternative or subset of disc golf, such as "My Disc Golf" or "My Buddies' Disc Golf" or "Disc Golf With Gimmes, No Foot Faults and No OB Penalties", that is unless you're actually playing by the official rules. And I agree you're still playing some version of disc golf including just practicing.

At this point, with no alternative complete set of rules like NFL, Arena, NCAA, HS, PeeWee for football, the game of "disc golf" without any qualifiers is officially defined and played by the rules published on WFDF or PDGA. It may help clarify it for some by calling them PDGA Disc Golf rules. But using "PDGA" as a qualifier won't really be needed until there's some other recognized complete set of rules by the "XYZ Disc Golf" organization or tour. If you Google just "disc golf", the first listing is Wikipedia which points to the PDGA site for official rules, and the second listing is the PDGA site.

Upon reflection, my choice of the phrase "not playing disc golf" wasn't precisely what I meant and has been interpreted negatively by some, which I understand. Try this instead. There's a formal definition of the rules of "disc golf" as published by PDGA and WFDF and there are many other forms of disc golf that "should" require qualifying words in front of or after the words "disc golf". So when you go out to play disc golf you're playing an alternative or subset of disc golf, such as "My Disc Golf" or "My Buddies' Disc Golf" or "Disc Golf With Gimmes, No Foot Faults and No OB Penalties", that is unless you're actually playing by the official rules. And I agree you're still playing some version of disc golf including just practicing.

At this point, with no alternative complete set of rules like NFL, Arena, NCAA, HS, PeeWee for football, the game of "disc golf" without any qualifiers is officially defined and played by the rules published on WFDF or PDGA. It may help clarify it for some by calling them PDGA Disc Golf rules. But using "PDGA" as a qualifier won't really be needed until there's some other recognized complete set of rules by the "XYZ Disc Golf" organization or tour. If you Google just "disc golf", the first listing is Wikipedia which points to the PDGA site for official rules, and the second listing is the PDGA site.

Yea that's fine truce :D

However, we still don't know what rules Sonic plays by when he plays his version of disc golf.

However, we still don't know what rules Sonic plays by when he plays his version of disc golf.

I already said, I play PDGA rules except for I pay a stroke for vertical relief of any kind.

I also play mandatory rethrow when the disc lands OB. Dropping at the OB line gets messy without a spotter.

SonicGuy said:
I also play mandatory rethrow when the disc lands OB. Dropping at the OB line gets messy without a spotter.

that is one rule that I get confused on... can we take a re-throw if we want to when a disc goes OB for any reason or only some reasons?

On the second, if I play a casual round and I don't mark my disc with a mini, I am still playing the sport of disc golf. The PDGA and Chuck Kennedy cannot tell me that I am not playing disc golf because I am not following their privately established rules.

Maybe you should actually read the rules before complaining about them. Using a mini marker is optional as you are more than welcome to simply use the recently thrown disc as it lies for your marker.

totally disagree. disc golf is the more general term. how about we call it "pdga disc golf"

everything else is disc golf, or some other subset. all pdga disc golf but not all disc golf is pdga disc golf.

Maybe you should actually read the rules before complaining about them. Using a mini marker is optional as you are more than welcome to simply use the recently thrown disc as it lies for your marker.

Or I am rethrowing the same disc without marking. 2/10 troll post.

totally disagree. disc golf is the more general term. how about we call it "pdga disc golf"

everything else is disc golf, or some other subset. all pdga disc golf but not all disc golf is pdga disc golf.

cosign

Whenever money is involved I expect players to play by the rule book. Casual rounds,who cares.

Whenever money is involved I expect players to play by the rule book. Casual rounds,who cares.

I agree. Played a local doubles tournament. Had a pretty significant buyin. But we know that the scores turned in by some of the teams were ridiculous. Not even close to right. It really soured things for me. I didn't expect to win...just to compete on a level playing field. We played by the rules...suspect some others didn't.

I agree. Played a local doubles tournament. Had a pretty significant buyin. But we know that the scores turned in by some of the teams were ridiculous. Not even close to right. It really soured things for me. I didn't expect to win...just to compete on a level playing field. We played by the rules...suspect some others didn't.

Money aside, I think anytime there is competition that spans more than one group of players, the expectation should be that everyone's playing by the same rules. And same doesn't necessarily have to be the "official" rules to the letter so long as everyone agrees.

I've seen groups that represent an entire division cut some rules corners in a (usually unsanctioned) tournament. For example, a 3 man Grandmasters division who agree to pick up gimmes inside 3-4 feet (because they're old and don't want to have to walk and bend over all the time :)). Not a ton of harm in that if what they do has no impact on other competitors, particularly at unsanctioned tournaments. But there has to be agreement amongst the group to do so. If one guy objects and insists on putting everything out (or following whatever other rule some might want to skirt), that's what everyone should do.

I see both sides of the " what is disc golf" discussion.

I am pretty anal about playing by the PDGA rules, even when playing solo rounds, when I'm keeping score. Whether I expect the same from a group I'm playing with depends on each, unique, situation.

Sometimes, though, I just go out to my course to play a couple holes before dark, or just to practice, or I might go to a local park with my Skillshots. In these situations I am taking practice throws, I'm not keeping score, etc. and I'm not really following the general rules of the game. (I still don't allow falling putts and I play from behind my thrown disc, etc.)

But if you ask me what I'm doing, in any of these scenarios, I will definitely reply that I'm playing disc golf.

OP. The fact that you made this thread proves my theory that I would not enjoy playing in the local Winter Carnival event that goes on in St. Paul for charity through GGGT. I was thinking about playing this year but being that I've never played a tournament and am probably far too casual of a player for most tourney players liking I opted against again.

So that means less money for the charity. Less likely that I'll have fun and make my buddies come out next year. Less likely to continue putting more money into the sport (though I do because I enjoy casual rounds with friends). I'm just saying that there are always numerous ways to look at this.

Being a skateboarder for the last 2 decades I can tell you this. If you want more courses, more attention for the sport, more money for the sport (or game or whatever you want to call it), more companies coming out with quality products regularly, etc, then you have to take some of the "casual" players along with it. Also the younger kids who will occasionally take forever with their parents because ma and dad heard frolf was the new fun way to exercise outside and spend time together, or whatever. Also, some crappy companies and products and courses will come out of it as well. It's just the way these hobbies that are technically "out of the norm" work. Thank god snowboarding didn't go through the same thing and ruin it.....oh wait :)

Is it bad? Not necessarily. Because that realm of skateboarding or disc golf can still continue without me. I can support the companies I chose and be involved where I see fit. Put my money, time, and effort where I think I should. And yes I still make fun of the kid at the skatepark with the tony hawk helmet who pushes mongo (ugly backwards technique) but I also don't expect an entirely new skatepark two cities away from me to be entirely empty either. He has every right to be there and as long as he isn't doing anything dangerous then more power to him for enjoying himself with the same activity in a different realm than I do.

Give and take. Good or bad. Just the way things work as popularity grows for something "outside the box" like these activities.

Latest posts