• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I hate unsanctioned tournament players....

Let's make a new unwritten rule that all putts inside the circle have to be thrown between your legs. :|

To say that a private organization as incompetent and inconsequential as the pdga owns the sport of disc golf is insane. Just because they purport to be the official rule makers and others reference them as such does not make them so.

What's up with the rebel without a cause routine. Who claimed the PDGA owned the game? They purport to be the official rule makers, because they are the only rules. :confused::|:doh::|

Last edited:
I believe WFDF had their own rules but eventually just adopted the PDGA rules so there was an accepted International standard. Not sure why there's such a knee jerk by some regarding the rules of disc golf as published by the PDGA. It's good for the sport so it can be played officially the same way, usually with complying equipment, everywhere. Even ball golf didn't have our International consistency until the USGA and R&A finally merged their rule books in the past 10 years. Now, the rule book published by the USGA just says The Rules of Golf on the cover with approval by the USGA and R&A on the inside cover.

Last edited:
So let's get specific : what are the most commonly ignored rules? I'm not talking about the social rules just the rules that would impact scores.

It's an odd phenomenon in disc golf where people want to jump in and play tournaments without having the foggiest idea of the rules. I've never heard of this in any other game/sport.

I realized that I don't enjoy super-casual events. Non-sanctioned tournaments are fine, but 'party events' are just not fun to me. A bunch of casual players dicking around on the course, waiting on every hole behind groups of 10 guys with beers and dogs and everything. If people have fun at that type of event, good for them.

It's not for me, so I generally don't play. Simple as that.

The conflict here seems to be another example of the Pavlovian response some people seem to have at the mere mention of the acronym PDGA. Nothing more. There's no reason to reject the PDGA rules of play other than because one has a desire to dislike anything associated with that four letter term.

1690msk.jpg

Of course the PDGA rules still have some items in there that are PDGA tournament specific, and I am not referring to anything in section 805.

Wrong. My problem is with Chuck Kennedy declaring that only the pdga can determine what "disc golf" is, as if they were the owners of the game as a whole.

According to Chuck, if the pdga chose to change the rules and only allow us to throw chickens instead of discs then that would be the only proper way to play disc golf because they own the definition. I find this hard to swallow.

Wrong. My problem is with Chuck Kennedy declaring that only the pdga can determine what "disc golf" is, as if they were the owners of the game as a whole.

According to Chuck, if the pdga chose to change the rules and only allow us to throw chickens instead of discs then that would be the only proper way to play disc golf because they own the definition. I find this hard to swallow.

So you're over-reacting to one guy's opinion like he speaks for anyone but himself? Geez.

Oh, stop it. You know exactly what Chuck's point was.

There are rules of disc golf just like there are rules of ball golf, rules of basketball, baseball, and so forth. In some cases (baseball being a good example), the rules are slightly different depending on what level the game is being played. Disc golf isn't like that - if you decide to take practice throws during a round you are playing the game of disc golf but not by the rules. Likewise, if you ground your club in a bunker you are still playing ball golf but not by the rules.

The OP's issue was with people who, during an organized round where money was involved, were not playing by the rules. Just because Chuck didn't use those precise words you decided to make this big point to call him on it and present a number of absurd examples to make your point. I find it hard to believe that you don't know what he meant.

Like it or not, the PDGA is the arbiter of the rules of disc golf. If you choose not to follow them during a particular round is up to you, but if you don't follow them in a PDGA-sanctioned tournament then there will be (or should be) consequences. If you don't follow them in an unsanctioned tournament or a casual round and there is money on the line, then you had better hope that everyone who put money on the game agrees with your decision to not play by the rules. That's the point...

How can you be so obtuse? Is it deliberate?

So you're over-reacting to one guy's opinion like he speaks for anyone but himself? Geez.

Chuck isn't just one guy, he speaks like a quasi authority about the pdga rules all the time and people believe what he says. If he makes a statement that is rediculous and that statement is made with his usual tone of authority then it needs to be pointed out.

Chuck is not saying that the pdga had the official rules and that is all. He is saying that the pdga has the power to define exactly what is and is not disc golf. He is saying that if the pdga decides something they decide it on behalf of the entire sport. I recommend that people actually read the thread, read chucks words before replying to me.

The OP's issue was with people who, during an organized round where money was involved, were not playing by the rules. Just because Chuck didn't use those precise words you decided to make this big point to call him on it and present a number of absurd examples to make your point. I find it hard to believe that you don't know what he meant.

Like it or not, the PDGA is the arbiter of the rules of disc golf. If you choose not to follow them during a particular round is up to you, but if you don't follow them in a PDGA-sanctioned tournament then there will be (or should be) consequences. If you don't follow them in an unsanctioned tournament or a casual round and there is money on the line, then you had better hope that everyone who put money on the game agrees with your decision to not play by the rules. That's the point...

How can you be so obtuse? Is it deliberate?

Can't speak for SonicGuy, but a very valid reason for taking issue with Chuck's comments is that all that is needed for fair competition is the ability to appeal rules to a "higher authority".

The OP basically said that there was no such higher authority, hence the nightmare of everyone doing as they saw fit as far as adherence to a playing standard. That is not fair. Especially when money is at stake, a standard of fairness is very wise to have as the potential for bickering/fighting is much higher.

The issue is that Chuck has come across as saying that the PDGA is the sole arbiter of the rules and anything short of that is unacceptable and is simply not disc golf. That is wrong.

The "higher authority" can be the TD (in the players' meeting and/or on an appeals basis after the round). Or as I pointed out earlier in the thread, a simple course sign stating the main rules can be that authority....and everything outside of that is permitted. If everyone is playing by the same rules, that is all that matters. If everyone can take practice throws, allow gimmes, ignore OBs & Mandos, have lax stance rules, play "ready golf", work/distract each other, etc.....it is fair, and it is still disc golf.

SonicGuy...curious...what rules do you use when you play disc golf??????????