• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I hate unsanctioned tournament players....

It would interesting to come up with a casual set of rules hearing what people do in practice when playing casual rounds, sort of how ball golfers will use their "foot wedge" to re-position their ball from a divot to flat ground or even onto a tuft of grass, or allowing gimmes.

475886956_4189427806.jpg

We've all seen plenty of signs at courses that outline the main ones that could easily be agreed upon for a casual competition.

It seems that the OP has an issue with enforcement as much as agreement on what to enforce. ....and the feeling is probably reciprocal (many players at these unsanctioned events hate sanctioned tournament players).

Chuck Kennedy went out of his way to say if you are not abiding by the PDGA rules in their entirety you are not playing disc golf. That is the comment I am responding to. According to Chuck if I play without vertical relief I am not playing disc golf but some other sport I have invented. Which is dumbfounding.
When you play "disc golf" and say you shot a score, it's technically not a "disc golf" score if you didn't follow the rules. Doesn't mean you weren't "disc golfing" as a general term for dozens of variations of throwing discs at baskets. But those should have a qualifier such as "casual" disc golf or gimmes or skins or doubles or wolf or winter rules (no OB penalty in MN). But when when you say "disc golf" by itself, it loses precise meaning in communication with others if it's not the version stated in the official rules.

Just like when you say you played chess, there's global agreement on what the rules are for that game. I'm not even sure what casual chess might mean like maybe "Yeah man, we just slid our knight between the pieces rather than lift it over them."

I play PDGA except for I put my foot where the disc is regardless of height. If it is in a tree I put my foot into the gal darn tree or take a stroke.

Not really the point though. PDGA rules are NOT the exclusive rules of the sport of disc golf. So College Football isn't football because they don't have NFL style overtime? Ludicrous.

Question for you, College or Pro?

Two teams play each other
Game has a clock and set amount of time
Take their turns playing Offense and Defense
Each offense gets 4 downs to produce a first down
10 yards = First down
Can run the ball or throw the ball (behind line of scrimmage)
End zones on each side of the field
TD's = 6 pts, FG's = 3 pts, Xpts = 1 pt
Penalties for Holding, Offsides, Interference, Delay of Game, etc...

Are these not the basic rules of football? Do you understand the basic rules of play for football whether you are watching HS, College or Pro? Similar to football Disc Golf also has a basic set of rules on how the game is played. Just like backyard football is going to be different from the NFL, casual DG can be slightly different from PDGA sanctioned DG. The basics remain intact, there just may be formal rules when the event is more organized.

I recently moved to a new area where unsanctioned tournaments are common (I can't think of any that took place in the Pittsburgh area except ice bowls) and I can't believe the attitude of the players regarding the rules of disc golf. I saw players not putting out taking practice shots every type of illegal stance possible and certainly every courtesy violation in the book. I tried to say something and the response from the other cardmates was this is an unsanctioned tourney that rule doesn't matter. How can people pay to play a tourney knowing the rules won't be followed? Who decides what rules to follow? Am I way off base in my thinking? If I was playing in a different sport I don't think this would happen and it is amazing to me how few people know or follow the rules of disc golf.

I might as well be playing in your events. I just played a sanctioned doubles tournament where the TD told players that an island hole disc resting place had to be completely in for it to count. Later on, a player team on my card lost his balance on a 10 foot putt and thought that if he apologized it would be ok. There's no use explaining the rules to them because of the language barrier. I pretty much gave up on trying to police them. :|

Question for you, College or Pro?

Two teams play each other
Game has a clock and set amount of time
Take their turns playing Offense and Defense
Each offense gets 4 downs to produce a first down
10 yards = First down
Can run the ball or throw the ball (behind line of scrimmage)
End zones on each side of the field
TD's = 6 pts, FG's = 3 pts, Xpts = 1 pt
Penalties for Holding, Offsides, Interference, Delay of Game, etc...

Are these not the basic rules of football? Do you understand the basic rules of play for football whether you are watching HS, College or Pro? Similar to football Disc Golf also has a basic set of rules on how the game is played. Just like backyard football is going to be different from the NFL, casual DG can be slightly different from PDGA sanctioned DG. The basics remain intact, there just may be formal rules when the event is more organized.

You are arguing with yourself here. Are you on my side or Chuck's? If I play a round and do not follow vertical relief am I in fact not playing disc golf?

You are arguing with yourself here. Are you on my side or Chuck's? If I play a round and do not follow vertical relief am I in fact not playing disc golf?
Not really. If someone asks you what you shot and you say 54, but didn't follow proper stance rules, the other person assumes you played by the standard rules. And yet, your score doesn't reflect playing by standard rules. So your game is "Sonic Rules Disc Golf".

Not really. If someone asks you what you shot and you say 54, but didn't follow proper stance rules, the other person assumes you played by the standard rules. And yet, your score doesn't reflect playing by standard rules. So your game is "Sonic Rules Disc Golf".

So you are on Chuck's side Chuck, I'm glad we have that established :hfive:

I kind of like the ring of "Sonic Rules Disc Golf"...

I thought you might. I've had some Chuck Rules games over the years. Even better when you make some up during the game. ;)

actually Chuck, technically you can not break a stance violation rule unless it's called by a card mate. so if nobody is there to call you on your stance violation, or nobody in your group calls you on it, how is it an actual violation?

are you saying that a guy who makes some stance violations in a casual round, but isn't called out for them by his card mates, isn't actually playing disc golf and his round score isn't legit? if that's how you see it then every score in a sanctioned round where the guy made a stance violation that wasn't called is also wrong, and that person wasn't playing disc golf.

if this is the case in every video of the pros where we can spot stance violations that weren't called by the card should be revisited and changed for accuracy. the players should be not only be penalized for the stance violations but for turning incorrect scores on their cards and the official scores should be changed so the round ratings can be officially corrected.

The rules still exist whether calls are missed. Violations that weren't called are seen in replays in many action sports and line calls are missed in tennis.

I am always amused by the phrases "relaxing the rules" and "casual rules" when used in any kind of organized event, (local non-sanctioned tourneys, mini's, club singles, bagtags, etc)

More often than not---- it is simply quick signal that the bottles and the bowls are going to be non-issues. No real surprise.

BTW, I admit to being educated by Chuck's post about the distinction between the rules and the PDGA Competition Guidelines. Never really thought about why several items over the years have migrated from the rules to the Guidelines.

As some of you, I have occasionally meet folks that upon hearing the word "relaxed" start looking for other ways to relax the rules. That is when I openly ask, "so, which rules are you wanting to relax? I need to compare that to the list that I want to relax. Do we all get to pick three? Is the TD keeping a master list?"

Always a fun discussion. :)

Ron

And now we're "discussing the discussion." Always enthralling.

\thread

You should run up to the basket on every hole and drop your disc in and call it an ace. If people argue or say that's illegal, just say "well you weren't following the rules so why should I?" Then maybe people will be so mad they will start to follow the rules.

:hfive: That would be hilarious. Awesome post.

The PDGA rules are simply the rules how to play the game of disc golf, not specifically rules for sanctioned events. Over the past decade, the PDGA has been separating the specific rules needed to just play the game, even by yourself, from the rules for competition which are now in the Competition Manual. So when someone says we're following PDGA rules, it's redundant because they're really just the RULES of disc golf.

Nah. The PDGA rules are for PDGA events and anybody *can* use them in general. The PDGA rules are not authoritative and do not apply to play everywhere just because. So, no, they are not "just the rules" for disc golf. They are *a* set of rules for disc golf.

No, I'm afraid they are the rules of "disc golf". Anyone unfamiliar with disc golf (say new players or curious media) asks where the rules can be found, the PDGA site is just one place to find them. Those exact same rules are on the WFDF (World Flying Disc Federation) site. You visit the WFDF site and you'll simply find the rules of disc golf. WFDF just copies the rules of "disc golf" they see on the PDGA site whenever they are updated. Resistance is futile. ;)

To the OP; Are you in Pittsburgh, PA or KS? Cuz if it is PA then I understand why there are so many unsanctioned, for one you are in a big city and it will attract more people to the event and outing, I look at unsanctioned events as a way to meet new people to play with and go to sanctioned tourneys with (You can tell who the serious ones are and who aren't) many use the unsanctioned events as a warm up to a sanctioned tourney, its unsanctioned so it doesn't hurt their rating. Now if you are in Pittsburgh, KS then I am surprised there are that many unsanctioned events and you should wait for the Pitt Open, its a good one I hear, I might be there this summer

Rules clinic

I play in a few unsanctioned tournaments and one thing that could help is to have a rules clinic as part of players meeting . I notice a lot of newer players have never been exposed to the rules and just need to be taught. If I see a rules violation, unless it is a score affecting issue, I will explain the rule to the player. 99% of the time they want to learn what's right and wrong .

To the OP; Are you in Pittsburgh, PA or KS? Cuz if it is PA then I understand why there are so many unsanctioned, for one you are in a big city and it will attract more people to the event and outing, I look at unsanctioned events as a way to meet new people to play with and go to sanctioned tourneys with (You can tell who the serious ones are and who aren't) many use the unsanctioned events as a warm up to a sanctioned tourney, its unsanctioned so it doesn't hurt their rating. Now if you are in Pittsburgh, KS then I am surprised there are that many unsanctioned events and you should wait for the Pitt Open, its a good one I hear, I might be there this summer
I moved from Pittsburgh PA....in PA we don't have many unsanctioned tourneys.

Many of you have hit on the orginal point I was trying to make.....disc golf has rules...if you don't play by those rules you aren't playing disc golf....if the rules are to change from standard they should be spelled out in advance.....I will be much more selective on what divisio n I sign up for if I play any more unsanctioned tourneys......I agree most casual players don't know the rules....I disagree most are willing to change. I still don't know why someone would be willing to pay money to play a tourney sanctioned or not when the rules won't be enforced.

Latest posts