• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I hate unsanctioned tournament players....

I've seen enough bullying with rules. It frequently is accompanied by insults (implied and explicit) for not knowing the rules. I like to think that our weekly unsanctioned pickup round proves that a non sanctioned round can be decent, respectful, cooperative, fun and not so bloody hung up about foot fault x, two meter rule y, or whether or not the blinker I keep on my putter is Approved or not. When serious players wanna tune up for a sanctioned event, they'll card up together. We'll send out a mixed card next, but everyone plays "togetherly" and we meet up at the end to commiserate and share stories. Sorry if that pisses you off. We're on our third year, 60+ consecutive weeks, and cats keep coming out to join us. This is just how it's gonna be.

Hmmm...

Maybe it's my morning medicine (wink) but didn't our beloved obsession get it's start by Steady Ed and friends who didn't follow the rules?

Last edited:
I've seen enough bullying with rules. It frequently is accompanied by insults (implied and explicit) for not knowing the rules. I like to think that our weekly unsanctioned pickup round proves that a non sanctioned round can be decent, respectful, cooperative, fun and not so bloody hung up about foot fault x, two meter rule y, or whether or not the blinker I keep on my putter is Approved or not.
You're doing the right thing. This thread, alongside a comment from a Finnish player that recently visited the US, actually inspired the following question: how expensive are weekly tournaments over there in general? The guy who I'm referring to was in the Rochester area, where weeklies cost 10$. Sure, it can be rewarding to win a bunch of dollars, but that wouldn't sound very good in terms of #growthesport if entry fees are generally that high :)

That high? $10??? Really? This sport will never "grow" to the point some people want it to if people won't pay $5 to play a PTP course and/or think $10 is too much $ for a league.

When I was in Helsinki I think it cost me 2 Euro to play in their weekly PDGA sanctioned league. Things are growing leaps and bounds there.

@ the Portage Lakes Disc Golf course in the Akron, Ohio area. We realized that we could not teach all the newer players and tell them of the basic rules, so we put most of the basic rules on the short tee tee signs, so if an interested player wanted to they could learn the rules as they played they could. ----------- - +

@ the Portage Lakes Disc Golf course in the Akron, Ohio area. We realized that we could not teach all the newer players and tell them of the basic rules, so we put most of the basic rules on the short tee tee signs, so if an interested player wanted to they could learn the rules as they played they could. ----------- - +

+Like. That's the way it should be. If a sport is bound for infamy it will do it on it's own.

Last edited:

Great idea. Probably wouldn't hurt to put the same on the signs at the long tees too, no? Those folks might need the lesson or refresher too. :)

I've only got a couple rules on tee signs on my course. The mando rule is explained on the hole where there's a mando. OB drop zones are explained on the holes where there is a drop zone for OB. But I could definitely see where adding things like marking or stance rules to signs on other holes might be beneficial. Maybe next time the signs need replacing...

Why don't we make a set of rules outside of the pdga for unsanctioned tournaments. It would be a rather easy thing to accomplish.

1. One throw from behind the end of the t-box area
2. Farthest out from the basket throws next
3. Make sure your planting foot is behind your last throw
4. If you're in water, throw from the last place it crossed dry land, and add a stroke
5. If you're in a tree, throw from underneath it
6. If you go out of bounds, throw from where it went out of bounds, and add a stroke
7. You can re-throw at any time, just add a stroke
8. If you are within 30 ft of the basket, your feet have to be on the ground, and behind your last throw until your disc is in the basket

I lied. It would be so much easier to just announce that the pdga rules are in play, and just make amendments to the rules you don't like. Of course, announce the amendments at the players meeting.

Great idea. Probably wouldn't hurt to put the same on the signs at the long tees too, no? Those folks might need the lesson or refresher too. :)

I've only got a couple rules on tee signs on my course. The mando rule is explained on the hole where there's a mando. OB drop zones are explained on the holes where there is a drop zone for OB. But I could definitely see where adding things like marking or stance rules to signs on other holes might be beneficial. Maybe next time the signs need replacing...

More than likely they're passing the shorts after they throw from the longs...

If they're not reading the signs then, they probably weren't going to in the first place.

Just found out that I'm a PDGA Legacy Member. Yup, renewed after a long absence, and even played in a local C-tier recently (Came in second in my div. got a sweet Cryztal Meteor + shirt for prize). Watch out all you Rec Grand Masters!

Ironically, a C-tier that was a warm-up for worlds last year in St. Paul was the most rule-relaxed tournament I've ever played.

For a couple of years, there were a series of unsanctioned tournaments in northern Iowa that were the most well-run and rule-following tournaments I've played.

Depends on the crowd and personalities more than anything.

I Googled "define disc golf" and got this...

"a game in which a concave plastic disc is thrown into each of a series of metal baskets situated on an outdoor course, the object being to complete the course using the fewest possible throws."

That sounds about right. I get people who treat the game as a lifestyle would want the definition to be more refined, that this is probably the gist of it.

As an occassional unsanctioned tournament player who has zero interest in a PDGA event, we probably hate you a little, too.

That high? $10??? Really? This sport will never "grow" to the point some people want it to if people won't pay $5 to play a PTP course and/or think $10 is too much $ for a league.
Yeah, really. Virtually all our weeklies are non-sanctioned and the sport has exploded. Non-sanctioned yet well organised tournament play for a couple of dollars gives the newbie a chance to actually learn the game, instead of going to a sanctioned tournament right away and make your nerves boil.

Latest posts