• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

(IA, KS, MO, OK, AR, TN, KY) The Long Road to BG Ams.

Martin Dewgarita

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
35 days until Bowling Green - which for me signifies the end of the winter traveling season. One state left unplayed in the lower 48.

(Plans subject to change or last minute cancellation) I will be leaving MN, after a week of tooling around MN/WI, on Mon, March 5.

My primary destination is Tulsa, I'd like to spend a week there, a week getting there via a straight shot down 35. A week in OK, focusing on the Tulsa area. And a week to get to BG, arriving ~March 24, spending the final week in BG preparing to kill it in MA1.

I'm fully capable of studying the maps and picking out the 3.5+ rated courses along the way. So recommendations for hidden gems, unlisted courses, or otherwise unique coursers that I must see are welcome.

If anybody wants to meet up for a round, I'll keep this thread updated with where I'm at, if you have a specific time/place you want to play, let me know, I'll try to fit your schedule.

Lets get some travel tag swaps in.

Any non-DG related things I must do/see? I dig cool natural features, hiking, scenic drives, Brewpubs, good burgers, unique bars, cheap beer, cheap food.

Thanks y'all, looking forward to seeing you at the course!

Cedar hill and 7 oaks are musts if youre going thru nashville.

Heading east from St. Louis, hit up Foundation Park in Centralia, IL. Continue on I64 to Evansville, IN and play Mesker Park.
Head south on US41. Atkinson Park in Henderson, KY is a fun course, worthy of a stop since you will go right by. Heading south on the Pennyrile Pkwy, stop in Madisonville, KY and play Madisonville City Park. There's a private, unlisted course outside of Madisonville called Fern Valley. You may not be able to get on unless it's the weekend. PM me for the owner's phone number.

Finally, get back on Pennyrile South to I24 east. It will take you practically to Cedar Hill in Nashville. Hit up Cedar Hill, Seven Oaks and then head north on I65 to BG!

All the listed courses are >3.9 with the exception of Atkinson. Bon voyage!

the Lodge courses at Pawhuska, Ok. Hands down my favorite 2 courses ive ever played. They are on private property, camping is free and encouraged with obvious donations to the taylor family. its 45 min northwest of tulsa off of 412. my friends and i deem this property 'disc titty land'..nicest courses in OK offering some of the best golf you'll ever play.

Hit me with a PM and I can show you some of Des Moines best kept secrets. My favorite being the Wednesday and Thursday night glow crews. You can also park at my place if you need.

Are we aiming for quantity or quality on this trip? I see you don't have Rosedale Down Under in KC yet, although you do have the top course.

Hit me with a PM and I can show you some of Des Moines best kept secrets. My favorite being the Wednesday and Thursday night glow crews. You can also park at my place if you need.
This is the kind of info I like to hear Wednesday nights huh... I always love me some glow

Are we aiming for quantity or quality on this trip? I see you don't have Rosedale Down Under in KC yet, although you do have the top course.
Quality over quantity, but I'm sure i'll be bagging 9 holers along the way as well. I might do a day or two in KC, still a number of courses I'd like to hit around there.

I missed the part where you said you'd be coming across I-35. That decreases the likelihood of an I64 leg.
Yeah, I said nothing about IL/IN :p, Thanks for the thought anyway, maybe on the way home.

Keep it comin'!

the Lodge courses at Pawhuska, Ok. Hands down my favorite 2 courses ive ever played. They are on private property, camping is free and encouraged with obvious donations to the taylor family. its 45 min northwest of tulsa off of 412. my friends and i deem this property 'disc titty land'..nicest courses in OK offering some of the best golf you'll ever play.

I agree with most of this . . . not my two favorite courses ever but both are in my top 10!!!! See if you can play a round with Jim and get the history of the land . . . he has some interesting stories and is a great guy . . . and I know you like beer so bring him some special beer and sit down afterwards in his lodge.

If you are coming down I35, stop of at oklahoma joe's BBQ in KC, 2 minutes off of I35 (arguably best BBQ on the planet, Anthony Bourdain's top 15 places to eat before you die), Rosedale DG is 3 blocks away for a quick round as well.

So this year you're taking a direct-route?
(Compared to last year?)

The BBQ there is great. Unfortunately, the lines to get into the damned place are beyond ridiculous. I would instead recommend hitting the Olathe location.

No matter which place you go to the line will probably be pretty long (20+ minute wait) but it is worth it. Or you could get the number and call for carry out before you get there and eat it elsewhere, saves the waiting period. Get the Z-Man and fries.

If you decide to be that close to downtown you should hit up Disc Golf World, the largest disc golf store in the midwest. It never disappoints!

Also, if you want to take a little detour, check out Swope Park down by KCI and the KC Zoo.

Enjoy!!!

Last edited:
Centralia, IL is definitely worth the stop on the way back, best course in the state (sorry, McNasty).
We used to go to BG every year. We always stopped at Elizabethtown, KY on the way back. A really fun course, and well-designed.

1 week after BG is the Ozark Mountain Open in Vichy MO just north of Rolla at Dave McCormack's 2 private courses scheduled april 7 and 8. An absolute must as they are 2 of the top 10 courses I've ever played.

1 week after BG is the Ozark Mountain Open in Vichy MO just north of Rolla at Dave McCormack's 2 private courses scheduled april 7 and 8. An absolute must as they are 2 of the top 10 courses I've ever played.

Very worth the trip to there to play some of the best golf you will ever play.

Latest posts