• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] If you had a putter configurator....

Hmm.

I love the Envy for a throwing putter but honestly don't care much for any of their plastics. Maybe just an Envy in something like soft P-line plastic?

As far as putting, I have been really liking the Roach but once again I'm not a huge fan of any of the plastics. So maybe a Roach in soft P-line?

Soft X would be the answer then.

I don't think so. I have soft x roaches and they're pretty floppy. My soft p-line P2's are relatively stiff and grippy but not too grippy.

Okay so more like standard X line when that once was used for Discraft putters before the Soft X came out. The X line looses that initial slick over time of use and does get grip but not get the extra grip, unlike Pro that gets the slick to wear into the plastic as extra grip.

Comet flightplate

Polecat "wing"

Stiff blue Eraser plastic

Or

Comet flight plate

Envy wing and over mold

Firm cosmic Electron plastic

Last edited:
I don't think so. I have soft x roaches and they're pretty floppy. My soft p-line P2's are relatively stiff and grippy but not too grippy.

Have you tried roaches in jawbreaker? I'm assuming you have, but aside from dusty days, I thought it stayed both grippy and firm...

my only x-soft experience is with the Ringer GT. I absolutely love it for putting, but x-soft gets gouged up just by breathing on it and so I can only imagine how quickly it must break in. Wait a sec, that gives me an idea...(am I really considering bagging three versions of a Ringer GT? hahaha)

If I was magically concocting my putter, it would be a soft-x flight plate Ringer GT with an MVP Ion overmold. I'd put more plastic into the wing to bring the speed up to a 4 or so. I'm thinking the overmold rigidity will allow for the thinner flight plate with the grippy soft x and the thumb track.

I think a Zephyr sized Stego would be a hoot. I'll take one in MF Champ and one in Tarpit plastic.

Could the champ one could be a legit doughnut tire on a small car lol

I also want a 100g putter in MVPs fission plastic. Fission polecats? That would be a lot of fun.

That is a fun one... I like the Comet/ Envy hybrid idea.

I'm pretty happy with the Envy hand feel, actually I friggin love it but it could use a tweak...

Envy Overmold rim feel, but smack on a more tapered bottom like a Magic or Spin while maintaining that lid feel. Hopefully it flies a bit straighter and is available in Gateway style plastics, SSS and that grip first run Evo kind of feel. Damn I miss my FR red Evo Magic that was the grippier champion kinda plastic with a good amount of flex. Just run it in the same mold no matter what the plastic blend and I will find a stack I like haha.. And twice as many to trade but it will cover every stability need.

TBH though that Ohm is really fitting the bill, when it's available in some softer plastic or a grippier plasma that's really what I'm asking for. The Ohm lives at:

2 5 0 1 Awesome Ave.

What Legacy putter and plastic do you like? I haven't thrown any of their discs so I'm curious about their discs and plastic types.

The Clutch. I own 30+ I'd guess.

Legacy likes to copy "the greats" so to speak. It's a clone of the Magnet from Discraft (one of the owners of Legacy used to LOOOOVE Magnets). Slightly lower profile, slightly faster, slightly more (over)stable. Overall an exact copy like the Ghost is a Roc or a Rival is a Teebird. Sure there's minor differences but hand feel alone would prove my point. Hell, they even released the Mongoose to compete with the Sidewinder - Mongooses eat snakes lol. The differences are subtle but transitioning as a former Magnet lover was quite easy.

A SOL rim feel with a flatter top that can handle light headwinds. Maybe a Champ Cro but less fast. 1.2 rim versus 1.3.

So a cross breed between a SOL, Cro and Envy. Sort of a mashup between those. Envy = too deep. SOL - too much flip. Cro = too fast makes it a midrange.

1.2 rim width, 1.25 rim depth. Flatish top. 0 turn 1 fade. 55 rim conf. making it straight but slow enough not to go too far. I think a Tomb is closest just slightly less fade. Tomb is fractionally too deep with fractionally too much fade. Close. Actually a straighter SLOWER Blunter Suspect would be perfect. I love the hand feel of the Suspect.

Made in stiffer base plastic like Trilogy Hard or Prodigy 350.

Last edited:
Have you tried roaches in jawbreaker? I'm assuming you have, but aside from dusty days, I thought it stayed both grippy and firm...

my only x-soft experience is with the Ringer GT. I absolutely love it for putting, but x-soft gets gouged up just by breathing on it and so I can only imagine how quickly it must break in. Wait a sec, that gives me an idea...(am I really considering bagging three versions of a Ringer GT? hahaha)

If I was magically concocting my putter, it would be a soft-x flight plate Ringer GT with an MVP Ion overmold. I'd put more plastic into the wing to bring the speed up to a 4 or so. I'm thinking the overmold rigidity will allow for the thinner flight plate with the grippy soft x and the thumb track.

Speaking of Jawbreaker, my last one I got (still waiting for the other) has me concerned being flexible as Soft X when new. Also not a fan of how quick the discs wear out if a person does a lot of play and/or putting practice. If these next Magnets in Jawbreaker, discs I did not leave in the sun during the day out in it and the discs do not last longer, I will not be tempted to get Pro-D Magnet or Titanic, currently have a Proline Titanic for putting.

Speaking of Jawbreaker, my last one I got (still waiting for the other) has me concerned being flexible as Soft X when new. Also not a fan of how quick the discs wear out if a person does a lot of play and/or putting practice. If these next Magnets in Jawbreaker, discs I did not leave in the sun during the day out in it and the discs do not last longer, I will not be tempted to get Pro-D Magnet or Titanic, currently have a Proline Titanic for putting.

I've never used a magnet, so I can't speak for them, but I've had roaches in pro-d and jawbreaker, challengers in pro-d and jawbreaker, zones in jawbreaker, z, and zflx, and ringer gt's in soft-x, jawbreaker, and zflx

In the challenger and roach, the jawbreakers were like a more durable version of the pro-d. I used stacks of both plastics interchangeably for practice putts, but the pro-d gets nicked a lot faster (like soft-x). Now with the zone and ringer gt's, I've thrown them harder and into trees a couple times and the jawbreakers do get dinged up (a lot more so than z or zflx) but the jawbreaker does hold up very well, so IDK what happened with your magnet?

I've never used a magnet, so I can't speak for them, but I've had roaches in pro-d and jawbreaker, challengers in pro-d and jawbreaker, zones in jawbreaker, z, and zflx, and ringer gt's in soft-x, jawbreaker, and zflx

In the challenger and roach, the jawbreakers were like a more durable version of the pro-d. I used stacks of both plastics interchangeably for practice putts, but the pro-d gets nicked a lot faster (like soft-x). Now with the zone and ringer gt's, I've thrown them harder and into trees a couple times and the jawbreakers do get dinged up (a lot more so than z or zflx) but the jawbreaker does hold up very well, so IDK what happened with your magnet?

Yeah it looks almost the way a Swirl Soft X plastic would be the current Jawbreaker Magnet, of course I got the very last disc from Got Go Gottta Throw. I wounder if this Magnet disc is not just a Soft X in Swirl with a Jawbreaker stamp on it. The other older discs are holding up well in terms of Stability but they are not holding up in terms of dinging up. I hope the next disc ends up more stiff to modern Pro D when new as then the disc will work better for the short putter. The Swirls are fewer then most other Jawbreaker discs even ones people say are less stiff plastic so I wonder is the Jawbreaker plastic dictated by the amount of Swirls?

I was trying to do a speed putting video last night, and had to use more putters than the 9 swan2s I have, so I pulled out my atoms, envy, Wizards, and many others and found that from around 20 ft most of them are no much different.

Except, the Keystone. It has that really boxy outer rim that isn't scooped out at all on the bottom and every time i gripped it from the stack I couldn't hold it the same way as the others.

All of the ones that had no bead or a small one were fine up until 30, even the Wizards and their huge bead was okay in the circle, but that Keystone... wow. Forgot how much I didn't like it.

Casey, have you thrown a Legacy Clutch before?

Yes, in a store one close in plastic grip to the Jawbreaker and the mold did not feel quite right missing the mini bead the Magnet has for tad more stability I threw into a Innova Skill Shot in the store. Also the very mega stiff plastic the ones I would get as I loved the stiff are always sold out due to former Magnet users who loved that older Pro D plastic disc or Magnet users who have wanted a Magnet in a stiff plastic. Also for some reason the Clutch Drops sooner then the Magnet.

Latest posts