• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Insight on Maine??

Shuie

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
So, I was thinking about trying to finally get up to the Northeast to play. I thought I'd start with Maine and scratch as many state off the list on the way back. Upon investigating more into the top rated courses, damn near all of them seem to have a no pet policy. Does anyone out there have any insight on this?? I imagine Sabattus is very strict but, are the other private courses a little more lenient towards responsible dog owners??? Trying to plan a 10 to 11 day trip that way the end of May.

Last edited:
I spent two full summers in Maine and the private owners of these courses take their rules pretty seriously. I think that one aspect of the "no dogs" rule is insurance related. No dogs, lower premiums.

But I am also aware of a couple of courses that decided to allow dogs on a trail basis, only to pull the plug because so many dog owners just don't get the concept that not everyone wants to interact with their dog, or their dog's crap.

There is also the issue that many of these courses are on the owner's property, and they may have dogs themselves. That may be a factor.

The idea of being more lenient toward "responsible dog owners" seems reasonable, but virtually all dog owners view themselves as responsible, and once you decide to let one person break the rule, you may as well not have it...

BTW - Maine has some great DG courses!

Last edited:
So, I was thinking about trying to finally get up to the Northeast to play. I thought I'd start with Maine and scratch as many state off the list on the way back. Upon investigating more into the top rated courses, damn near all of them seem to have a no pet policy. Does anyone out there have any insight on this?? I imagine Sabattus is very strict but, are the other private courses a little more lenient towards responsible dog owners??? Trying to plan a 10 to 11 day trip that way the end of May.

I noticed the same thing when planning a Maine trip, so I will be interested to hear whether any of the private course owners are willing to make exceptions for well-behaved dogs (and well-behaved owners lol).

I noticed a worthy MA course that is not on your wish list:

Borderland State Park

If you swing south, you might consider adding a couple of two-course sites to your wish list:

Freedom Center - Clark's Run
Freedom Center - Scattersville

Pinchot State Park - Quaker's Challenge
Pinchot State Park - Boulder Woods

And if you make it to MD, DE, northern VA, southern PA, or eastern WV and would like to toss a round or three, shoot me a PM!

I'll second Borderland. It was my home course for years when I lived in nearby Foxboro. It's also only 10 minutes off I-95.

There are a handful of good courses that have popped up in southern NH that weren't there when I last lived in New England.

I understand what you guys are saying about " Responsible Dog Owners" but, I myself being a dog owner and private course owner would gladly allow an individual who seems respectful enough to play. With that said to play my course you must contact me. I guess what I was getting at is if I showed up at off times like early Am on a week day perhaps they would allow it. Just be a shame to get out to Maine only to be denied the top courses all because I can't get a dog sitter. None the less, that trip will happen just hoping to hear from some Maine folk that might direct me to the right courses.

I understand what you guys are saying about " Responsible Dog Owners" but, I myself being a dog owner and private course owner would gladly allow an individual who seems respectful enough to play. With that said to play my course you must contact me. I guess what I was getting at is if I showed up at off times like early Am on a week day perhaps they would allow it. Just be a shame to get out to Maine only to be denied the top courses all because I can't get a dog sitter. None the less, that trip will happen just hoping to hear from some Maine folk that might direct me to the right courses.
Going through the same thing now that we have a dog. I wish the pet friendly filter here on browsing courses actually worked. It would makes things alot easier.

Nichols Field was one of my favorites on the trip I took out that way, not an "epic" course but one I really enjoyed. It's a sleeper at 4.21!

I lived in Maine for 15 years and started playing in 2008. I'm not gonna lie, but Maine weather in May possibly not that great. Good weather really arrives like July 22nd through September 22nd, maybe even early October. Be sure to bring some bug juice for the Black Flys at that time of year.

All that aside, Maine courses are totally worth it. Back in the Hoosier state where I grew up and still prefer courses of Maine and the Northeast. Obviously hit Maple Hill on the way through. Borderland and a number of the "Dam" courses as well. Been gone too long from Maine to comment on the newer ones, but have played Pineland Farms, worth it.

These folks could probably point you in the right direction. https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaineDGS/