• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

IOWA SLACKERS

Dial-up internet on a Party line to be exact! lol :) I just realized I said Wildcat bluff, I meant Wildcat springs down across from Keokuk. There are plenty of fantastic courses out in those cornfields. I would venture to say that some might be even be in the top 10. Like West Lake in Davenport.

Didnt see this one, guess I was a little late for the old dial up joke....

Didnt see this one, guess I was a little late for the old dial up joke....

No worries, You were still the first responder to the Party line reference! Good friend of mine had a party line when we were kids. Annoying!

Georgia-grown Hawkeye grad here. I picked up disc golf while in grad school there. Yep, Fort Madison is one of my loves, as well as Sugar Bottom in Coralville and anything in CR. Too many courses to remember.

Georgia-grown Hawkeye grad here. I picked up disc golf while in grad school there. Yep, Fort Madison is one of my loves, as well as Sugar Bottom in Coralville and anything in CR. Too many courses to remember.

I.C. and CR are on my hit list on my next trip home! ...I'm a hawkeye transplant in S.C.. lol

I may not have attended U of I, but I grew up a fan. Go Hawks!

Still curious about Iowa though.
I think you'll have to look at which courses aren't reviewed to really know what's going on. My guess is that all of the really great courses everyone talks about in the larger "metropolitan" areas have most all been reviewed. However, it seems like every little town has a 9 hole pitch and putt in a city park. The people that play those courses aren't serious enough to spend time talking about DG on the internet and those that are serious about the game spend their time at the high quality courses. I know I'm not willing to drive 4 hours just to play and review a course where I only have to take out a putter.

Oh, and Cyclones rule!

Not at what, over what. And the answer is all.

Pfff!! The Hawks are pathetic in basketball, I'll give you that (however Cyclones are pretty horrible too).

But football??? The Hawks are far superior on the gridiron. Clones should've hung onto Dan McCarney...

Being from the state, I could actually believe that! Some towns in Iowa, Don't like "Strangers"! Even if they are from the next town over! I am not lying! On the state license plate, it lists the county you are from. Sometimes the cops will profile you based on your county. Pella, Iowa is one of them! Yes, Pella windows home town.

They probably wouldn't like me, with my CA plates.

They probably wouldn't like me, with my CA plates.

Dude, the last time I was back, as I was driving around my hometown. People would stare at me, with that "He's not from here" stare. They would see my SC plates, and watch to see where I went. They would stay at the stop sign, as I drove down the crossroad. Ottumwa has never been known for it's hospitality! lol

There are rumors swirling around that Cedar Falls is putting in two new courses soon if they can get them approved. Good thing there is a DGer on the city council.

There are rumors swirling around that Cedar Falls is putting in two new courses soon if they can get them approved. Good thing there is a DGer on the city council.

That always helps matters! :)

Dude, the last time I was back, as I was driving around my hometown. People would stare at me, with that "He's not from here" stare. They would see my SC plates, and watch to see where I went. They would stay at the stop sign, as I drove down the crossroad. Ottumwa has never been known for it's hospitality! lol

thats great ottumwa has never know for its hospitality... :) especially funny since i was born and raised there... i spent 20 years there and i know exactly how ottumwa is...

Today, for my birthday, I treated myself to a Northern Iowa tour of unreviewed courses. Along with playing 3 unrated courses, I also stumbled upon a course that was unlisted. I've listed that one, reviewed all four of them, updated course info, and uploaded pictures for all of them, of the courses I played, Forest City was a treat! The others, blah - but a fun road trip nonetheless.

Thompson Lions Park. On driving through Thompson on my way to Crystal Lake, I noticed homemade baskets in this small park.
Ellsworth College Park. A crazy unique DG experience.
Oakwood Park. A decent pitch and putt course in this small city park.
Forest City DGC. A gem of a course on the Winnebago River.

Way to go. Thanks for reviewing more courses for the great state of Iowa. Can't wait to get back to my home state!