• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Julio review of Highbridge?

Tom Julio will rank Blueberry a....

• 5.0....it's really that good...hats off!

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • 4.5...it's good but it's no Flip!

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • 4.0...it's just an average great course

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • 3.5...Why did I drive to Wisconsin?

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • 3.0...Maybe I played the wrong course here?

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • 2.0...I can't take anyone being better than Flip!

• 1.0...This oughta sink that up and comer good!

• 0.5...Was a great trip I even let Dr awesome drive

• 0.0...I should reserve this score for Lemon Lakes but...

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
All in fun but what will Tom Julio's review of Highbridge Hills Blueberry Hill be. We all know Julio is a die hard Flipper but he also seems to be honest in his reviews. He will surely be torn knowing that his review will either keep Blueberry as top dog or perhaps it will drop and Flip will take the crown! This is in fun so lets keep it light! A tough spot to be in knowing the DGcoursereview world is watching!:D

3.5 rating is not correct because he is a Wisconsinite. My guess is knowing Tom that he will rank it 4.5 (assuming it is as good as other people have said). It will not outweigh the vibe he gets from Flip City.

because of the low number of reviews a 4.5 may put flip back on top so he doesn't need to be dishonest, just bias.

I should have chosen the lemon lakes one, because of the animosity for the TD, but I don't think he would give it a 0.

no 4 is excellent

it goes:
Best of the Best 5
Phenomenal 4.5
Excellent 4
Very good 3.5
Good 3
Decent/Typical 2.5
Reasonable 2
Passable 1.5
Poor 1
Bad .5
Abysmal 0

in the poll is says "4.0...it's just an average great course" which is an oxymoron. Meaning that the course is great, and being great it is a 4, but it is of only average greatness so it is not a 4.5 or 5. Now I'm rambling...

Maybe he'll hold off on his rating and let someone else do a Blueberry review ahead of him so his vote isn't the one to take down BH from #1 if he's only going with 4.5 or lower.

The funny thing is, the Highbridge people that are reading this are freaking out. If he rates anything other than a 5 they loose the top spot. I bet they met him out there with a welcoming party complete with a few women and a ton of booze/cheese. I mean seriously, they're in northern WI, they'll know when someone new comes to town, there's like 10 people up there and one of them is sasquatch.

on a side note, I see the Tom Julio becoming common nomenclature among DGCR like a Cubby Ace, and a Wareagle. AS A JOKE TOM! please don't start a thread about me now ;)

Now that I think about it, isn't this thread a Tom Julio?

I'm not sure there's anyone living within 100 miles of Highbridge reading this site. I believe all of the reviews have come from travelers living at least several hours and even some states away.

OMFG!!! I went up to Highbridge yesterday and they knew I was coming! There were balloons! There was a welcoming parade of strippers and bags of free coke! They let me use the owners house for free for my stay! I got a bag full of discs as a valued customer! A back rub. a foot massage. a free haircut from the grounds keeper, and the key to the city from the mayor! Hell, the owner even paid off my student loans and promised to pay for my health insurance which I don't have because of the incredibly lame health insurance idiots and the morons who vote against health reform! Just amazing!

All in all, I could only give the course a 1.0. :(

(if I wasn't so amazing and personable I would take aim at this poll!)

In all seriousness, yeah, Flip is my watermark for a 5.0, as should the best course you have played IF you have played a 5.0 course. I WANT to give more 5.0's because that MEANS I have just PLAYED a 5.0 course! What more could a DGer want?! :D

..and remember I am not a Flip local and love that place. So do 59 other reviewers. I hope my state course of Highberry ( I live in Wisconsin, seems some poll creator missed that fact, even though it is right there, in the upper right corner) is in the same category as Flip when I play it. Truly. What could be better than that?! Oh yeah, everything I listed above. woot!

The funny thing is, the Highbridge people that are reading this are freaking out.

Craziness! No one is freaking out.

Tom just dropped Winter Park from 6 to 9 with his review of 4 out of 5 partially due to poor muddy conditions when he played, but it is what it is, there will be no freaking out. Having less reviews makes you more volatile.

I just wanna play great courses because the past 5 years or so has really seen a push for disc golf into the mainstream, into the suburban backyard parks for the non-addicted players. While there have been more than a few designers out there bending the heck out of the envelope of course design with some fantastic and amazing courses, they unfortunately are outweighed 10:1 or so by all these little pitch and putt 9-holers or poorly designed courses on poor pieces of property. (that's a sidebar - I will never review a course higher because "the designer did the best they could with what was available". That's BS, if the course is in the wind, it BLOWS! I don't want more courses that blow, I want a few that are amazing!)

He'll give it a 5 - seriously there is no reason not too. You have to play to believe, once he plays, he'll believe.

Who is this tomjulio character everyone is caught up on???? :D
He's only played 39 courses and been playing 1.3 years according to his profile!!!!!

Who is this tomjulio character everyone is caught up on???? :D
He's only played 39 courses and been playing 1.3 years according to his profile!!!!!

He's just a guy in the right place at the right time I guess. Wish my married with children ass could make it up there for the strippers and free bags of coke. Oh well. Winter Park is definitely on the list by the end of the year.

Hey Superberry: I used to play with a guy they called discberry 10 years or so ago at Dretzka. Is that you?

Hey Superberry: I used to play with a guy they called discberry 10 years or so ago at Dretzka. Is that you?

Nah, while I grew up in Milwaukee and lived there til I was 18, I never disced until I moved to Madison. I guess that was around 10 years ago, but I've always been SUPERberry! :D

I remember fishing in the Brown Deer pond with my dad way back when and watching people throw frisbees around the ORIGINAL course. Man, I didn't know what I was missing!!!

I'm glad you didn't get mad Tom and had fun with this like we are. I actually like the reviews of yours that I have read.

The debate about the top ten courses is such an "interesting" one. It is almost dated already. There will be a time; real soon; that this will all become immaterial....it will be the top 100 (or 500) that will be the looked at list. Here's the reason: awesome courses are appearing all over the country; probably in Canada (and perhaps in Europe soon as well).
Tim's course; Winter Park, is a good example.....He is justifiably, proud of his achievements there. The course is fantastic in all design areas. He has more than 18 holes. Winter Park has elevation; water; great wooded holes; a beautiful setting; and potential for even more! However, he does not have cement tees. This automatically means he should be no where near the top 10. I am not complaining, Tim, just pointing this out.
Now, I know this will be considered controversial and that Tim will probably be unhappy with me giving his wonderful course a less than perfect review. The fact is; there are a few slightly dangerous tees out there.
Another point; for those who have been to courses like Blue Ribbon Pines, in Minnesota: Winter does not compare to that course in terms of pro shop for one; nor does it have the fantastic landscaping that can be found at Blue Ribbon. There are rock constructions and wooden borders found at Blue Ribbon that are nowhere to be seen in Kewaunee. Look at the picture for hole #1 tee at Blue Ribbon. Note the wood chips on fairways there. The home made wooden bench near the pro shop is the best I've ever seen. There are 27 holes. The design is awesome. However, Blue lacks elevation and water didn't seem to be that much in play to me.
So, to recap: both are more than 18; both have awesome tests of skills; with all shots represented. Timmy Gill and Tim Kopacz should both be given awesome design awards. However, as mentioned above, both are missing something the other has. (Should be noted that Mr. Gill's design at Justin Trails, in Sparta, Wisconsin, is premier as well....36 holes there; with the newer Gill designed "Big Brother" illustrating the best in modern course design. This course has elevation, cement tees, water, etc. There is also camping on site; which the other two lack. Justin Trails is easily comparable to these other two courses.)
Now, both of these have been in the top ten; Winter Park is at present. What this primarily represents is; there is good representation in our part of the country on this site....
I'm not saying these courses aren't wonderful....they are!!!
Now, compare this with Highbridge....6 courses (at present) @90 holes....all levels of play...from gold to chestnut (which is lighted by the way; for night play...again, something all the other three mentioned, lack). Camping on site; a wonderful Chuck Kennedy design (among others); seclusion to the highest degree....cement tees, elevation, water, etc.
Then, the issue becomes; are we rating single courses? Yes, I guess we are. But....the fact that multiple courses are on site should certainly be a factor is overall rating. Should it not? Futhermore; I believe pros would rate gold; and perhaps even Granite, higher than Blueberry. (Lemon Lake is another that has multiple courses on site; the Quad Cities in Bettendorf/Davenport, Iowa, is another area that has multiple courses within a 15 mile radius that IMOH is a better grouping than even Highbridge has (but....requires some travel; albeit not much....)).
To finish this ramble: the multiple course complexes/areas will take over the top ten/twenty in no time at all.
Does this lessen the single course ratings? (Keep in mind that the two mentioned have more than 18 holes; so this would push courses with only 18, below these). No, this won't degrade these courses for what they are....awesome designs you will absolutely want to play!!!! But....they will slide down the list.
To return to the start of this entry: SOON.....IT WILL BE THE TOP 100; or even the top 500; THAT WILL QUALIFY AS MUST PLAY COURSES!!! (Top 100 is only two in each state for Pete's sake!!)
One final thought, so it doesn't seem I have complete midwest bias: I have played the Hudson Mills courses, near Ann Arbor (have not played the Ludington group or the Grand Rapids group; but bet they are just as awesome) and have thrown at Paw Paw in West Virginia; just to name a couple, and these could be substituted in place of the above mentioned courses.
Point is; top ten really means very little; other than that reviews have gone in favor up to this point; for those courses.

The awesome thing about this site is that it allows players to do a little homework and find great courses. With a little more looking; players can enter into the discussions as to what makes said great courses. Therefore, this site helps push the envelope as to what that constitutes; and allows more and more players to go play these places and contribute their two cents into what a great course entails.