• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Let's talk Deer Lakes

Road trip

Headed to Sandusky, OH and Cedar Point 2nd week of August. The itinerary has us playing DG in the Pittsburgh area on August 9th. Was already looking here but this thread has sealed the deal. Really looking forward to playing this course. :thmbup: Perhaps we'll get lucky and run into some PA folks. :)

Tomorrow evening, Thurs 7/28, there is a work session to do pin-related work at Deer Lakes. Meet at 5pm at the Blue Gill parking lot, or come when you can and look for us probably at Holes 7 or 9, where we will be moving pins.

Work Session Tomorrow

Come out and help on Thursday 5-8 pm. Bring pole saws, pruners. Work to begin on hole 2 - moving basket, removing briars near Red tee and around green; Relocating White Tee sign on hole 3 in prep for machine work to be done.

PFDO Tee Sign Sponsorships

Anyone looking to support the 2011 Scholl's Bicycle Centers Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open and its exciting debut at Deer Lakes Park can do so by sponsoring a tee sign for $50. See the linked flyer for details, and please submit your sponsorship information in the next week:

http://www.pfds.org/media/kunena/attachments/49/DeerLakesTeeSponsor_2011-08-08.pdf

Your support will be greatly appreciated and help make the event worthy of the courses on which it will be played!

Work Session Thurs., August 18

Last major work session before the PFDO! Please come out to help on Thursday, August 18, and bring any tools for weed whacking (we will also have some to provide). Arrive when you can, but we plan to be there between 4 and 5. Call Vince at 412-450-0705 or listen for the weed whackers when you arrive. Emphasis will be on Holes 3, 9, and 15, among others.

I'm not putting a lot of hope into this, but...

If anyone is on hole 11, on the right-hand side of the first plateau (probably near the creek, after the first downhill but before it drops into the gorge) and spots a light blue ESP Buzzz, I'd love to get my hands on it again. It's basically the one disc I have a hard time playing without, and somehow it got away from me in the waning sunlight.

Please don't go out of your way or anything; I have a feeling it's actually blatantly obvious, but it was getting dark. Thanks so much.

---

Anyway, last night was the first I played DL in about a month. It's looking really nice, and the new pin positions are awesome. My only issue might be with too much foliage being cleared away (but I'm usually against cutting down any tree that's not already dead). It does make for some better disc golf though. If I weren't working on Thursday, I'd definitely want to make it out to the work day.

If you are looking at it from a competition stand point, it is a soild course. But I think a true 5 needs to appeal to the masses.
Disagree with this! There are allot more pitch and putt courses and very few championship level courses. Hard to put in an Idlewild, or Renny when dealing with park commissions, then having someone design and having the vision and then most importantly someone that is willing to put a few free hours in to maintain it every week. Don't think that should be a negative aspect of an amazing course IMHO.

Wow, I would totally have tried to come up for the PFDO this year if I had known Deer Lakes was included!

Had a blast playing this joint on the way back from Cleveland last week. :clap:

Beautiful Job and the place looks great in prep for the PFDO. I definitely have to try to squeeze PFDO in the tour schedule for next year.

Only played the reds cause we were dodging rain showers and my girl is a watcher not a player.

This pic describes the great time I had.

picture.php

Love it, MAC! Just Love it! :thmbup:

G Bud, next time take the path around to the right. It's your reward for not ending up in that gulley.

Whiz, if you came up for the PFDO I'd just have to spill my lunch all over you again.

Thanks to WillGrrr and the Deer Lakes Park staff for a new addition to the course meant to insure that nobody ever gets lost in the Hole 6-7-8-9 loop ever again!

picture.php

REALLY good pics Vince. So you're a good photographer as well as a good TD.

Amidst the grumbling by the top folks about too many trees, it was a very good and challenging tournament across all three courses.

There was only grumbling about Deer Lakes until those malooks played Moraine. I have never heard such cries of anguish from such good players. You would have thought Moraine physically assualted their mothers the way they were carrying on. Nothing but praise for Deer Lakes after that!

There was only grumbling about Deer Lakes until those malooks played Moraine. I have never heard such cries of anguish from such good players. You would have thought Moraine physically assualted their mothers the way they were carrying on. Nothing but praise for Deer Lakes after that!

There is nothing more beautiful than hearing top players bitch n moan....that means they are actually playing a tough course

I thought Moraine and Deer Lakes were both very fair courses.....I think in the heat of the moment everyone says dumb sh1t and blames the course or the disc or the basket

Hey 1000 rated "suck it up"

Bottom Line Ive learned there are multitudes of different types of disc golf out there...you have to become better at each to be a TRUE PRO

Latest posts