• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Male vs Female Skill Levels

Im quite sure that Valerie has tons of competition playing with Nate and Avery. You dont need fields of 100 women to get better. You need practice. BTW one of the best women players I have played with is Kelsey Brakel. She only carries like 5 discs, lol. I wish she played more. She almost made the Semi's at Worlds in MA1 this year and i am confident she would have finished in the top 10 for Female Open. Her 950 average rated rounds would have put her 1 rating point behind Paige Pierce 951.

Anyways...

Somewhat agree. If the competition in question is FPO tourneys, there'd be more motivation in general to improve, shave a stroke off here or there, if there were more women at the top tier. I'm not sure that playing with your brother/sig other is quite the same drill, even if they do have mutliple WCs between them.

In other words, if she's naturally super-competitve, then she may practice her brains out to beat Doss and Avery, but if she's already dominating the field at every women's event (not to say that's necessarily the case currently,) how much time is she going to work on her grenade shot, or dialing in her D control from 325-375, I think is where I'm coming from.

Women have the major disadvantage of being responsible human beings. The maternal instinct created by estrogen and other womanly hormones also leads women to seek out stable and responsible activities, like, you know, employment.

It takes a man to completely disregard any respectable life ambition to play a game 7 days a week. The same man that is really really good at disc golf has the same qualities as the top rated modern warfare player. All it takes is time and a lack of self respect.

LOL, pick of the day so far! :clap:

how much time is she going to work on her grenade shot

Ya know, I have never been in a round where afterwards I thought "If only I had practiced my grenade more, THEN I would have cashed!"

In my mind there are only three shots you need to master in disc golf. Accurate 350' driver shot, accurate 280' mid shot, and putt. With those three shots you can dominate at any level. Thumb roller practice hours will not be rewarded.

Women have the major disadvantage of being responsible human beings. The maternal instinct created by estrogen and other womanly hormones also leads women to seek out stable and responsible activities, like, you know, employment.

It takes a man to completely disregard any respectable life ambition to play a game 7 days a week.

It also takes a man to turn his employment into a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOBS90sKGkQ

You switched around the meaning of my statement to make it false, which would make me look stupid, dude! What I'm saying is that out of the entire population of women, not all of them are athletes. He's alluded to testosterone level to be the determining variable in aggressive and/or competitive behavior in the female population, which doesn't give a complete understanding of either those types of behavior or the specific subset of females (athletes). Which is why I said 'nearsighted'.

I was not suggesting that it is impossible for females to be competitive. And, of course, testosterone is not the only factor for that behavior. However, if you take the population of females and the population of males, because of differences in their biochemistry, males will have more propensity towards competition and aggression. If you disagree with that, then we will just have to agree to disagree.

However, if that is true, more men will participate in activities that are competitive, and will do so more frequently in a competitive way (as opposed to casually). I believe that the competition has an effect on the way that people compete, especially at the highest levels. In other words, the biochemistry of the gender as a whole has an indirect effect even on those who choose to compete.

You're right. But, they would have to stick to short courses. I don't think you will see a woman with a skill-set that is that good decide to stick to just the shorter courses for the purposes of getting her rating over 1000. There is little point. If they are that good, they would be playing NT's, which are typically held on championship level courses. NT's are where the money is at.

If I were a woman who had a high rating, and could kick butt, I'd stay local, or only play courses that cater to my strengths. AND I'd play against the men, and take their money. A woman who potentially had a 1000 rating could make more money doing this than the top FPO, because of the poor women's payout structure.

I could see this happening, and then the PDGA would change the rules so that women couldn't compete against men anymore.

If I were a woman who had a high rating, and could kick butt, I'd stay local, or only play courses that cater to my strengths. AND I'd play against the men, and take their money. A woman who potentially had a 1000 rating could make more money doing this than the top FPO, because of the poor women's payout structure.

Boom. Winner. I will never understand why talented women play in women's divisions. If you are a good open woman you could most likely cash in C tier open and win AM1.

The first woman to win a big time tourney in open is the woman I want to sponsor with my discs.

I was not suggesting that it is impossible for females to be competitive. And, of course, testosterone is not the only factor for that behavior. However, if you take the population of females and the population of males, because of differences in their biochemistry, males will have more propensity towards competition and aggression. If you disagree with that, then we will just have to agree to disagree.

However, if that is true, more men will participate in activities that are competitive, and will do so more frequently in a competitive way (as opposed to casually). I believe that the competition has an effect on the way that people compete, especially at the highest levels. In other words, the biochemistry of the gender as a whole has an indirect effect even on those who choose to compete.
This is a better way of saying what i meant.

It's awesome that you guys get all that from the original statement of
"In general, women have less of a competetive 'need'. They are less worried about winning, and more worried about making friends."
Pwingles, where did you get that statement? lol

Ya know, I have never been in a round where afterwards I thought "If only I had practiced my grenade more, THEN I would have cashed!"

In my mind there are only three shots you need to master in disc golf. Accurate 350' driver shot, accurate 280' mid shot, and putt. With those three shots you can dominate at any level. Thumb roller practice hours will not be rewarded.

Touche. I was over-exaggerating to illustrate the point that for an elite player to do the small stuff to make themselves that much elite-r, would require enough elite-level players to motivate them.

Of course, to play devil's advocate, "accurate 350 drive shot" would probably be many shots itself, in practice. But I'm picking up what your setting down.

I'm confused again. The quotation must not have displayed on whatever device you're reading, Pwingles. Either way, sorry I picked apart your words. I didn't mean to piss you off or anything.

I'm confused again.

I know

Instead of spending so much time trying to paint me out to be a sexist d bag, go back and read the whole post you partially quoted above..

Not pissed, just slightly offended. And annoyed that someone would start a thread asking for opinions only to argue with anyone whos opinion was different.

Yeah, I saw the Mark Ellis thing and the DGR thing, but I was wondering if that was a direct quotation or if you got that from memory. I'm not gonna go hunt through Mark's posts on DGR.

Yeah, I saw the Mark Ellis thing and the DGR thing, but I was wondering if that was a direct quotation or if you got that from memory. I'm not gonna go hunt through Mark's posts on DGR.

No its not a direct quote, hence the lack of ""'s and me specifying that i couldnt recall spe ifically what he said

Im only the skill level I am because I have a thumber, tomahawk, grenade, BH, FH, flick roller all at my disposal. Especially in heavily wooded courses like we have here in NC, I'd be 40 ratings points lower without all of those shots. All types of throws satisfy your 3 "shots" which is actually 3 different distances. There are lots of ways to get to 280' and they are all useful and fly different.

One need only look at the skill sets of the oldest players with ratings that match/exceed the elite women to see where they could improve. Randomly select 4 of the top 40 men over age 59 (ranging from 950 to 1002 rating) and they would beat the best four MPO women regardless of the course most of the time. As an aside, these guys are more interesting to watch from a spectating (for skill reasons) standpoint with their wider array of shots.

One of the reasons I believe we've seen improvement among both men and women at the top in the past 5-6 years is the addition of powerful forehand drives in the arsenal of the top players. At this point, we still don't see many attempts or high level skill among women throwing rollers or thumbers plus other trick shots like grenades that you'll see top level older men throw. Developing these throws still may not get them to where they match men's ratings but will likely get them closer.

This an interesting post. You would think that the ladies would go for the roller to try to keep up with the men. and speaking of shot variety, Chuck do you, or anyone, think that the FPO stars tend to be more one dimensional in their game? Examples: Sarah Hokum and Sarah Cunningham being almost exclusively FH.

You mentioned C Allen's athleticism. I'm always curious, what's her background, sports-wise? The guy who really got me into DG had a heavy martial arts background, and it seems that a lot of the same skills/sources of "power" there translate well to DG. As McBeth shows, there are some strong ties to the baseball skills.

My ex had a deep dance background, and she never really "played" DG, but she copied my x-step/motion once on sight, and one time we were tossing around in a field, and she could rip it, D wise, and l/r accuracy wise. She wasn't really into it, but all she'd need is some nose angle work and a better grip, and her driving game would've been better than mine at the time.

All I know is that she played volleyball and basketball in high school or college.

Latest posts