• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Matching the Shryke for sheer distance

The Archon is not discontinued.

Seems like it would be too popular to be discontinued but then Innova did that with the Classic ROC. It was popular but for some reason got discontiued, almost all of the Masters and Grand Masters players that knew the Classic ROC if they played in the 1990's had one if they were not a brand loyal to another brand be it with a sponsor or just brand loyalty. Few did not have the disc and that was due to non Innova brand they threw.

T-Rex is another I can think of but then the disc was hard to make in to weight in any plastic.

Seems like it would be too popular to be discontinued but then Innova did that with the Classic ROC. It was popular but for some reason got discontiued, almost all of the Masters and Grand Masters players that knew the Classic ROC if they played in the 1990's had one if they were not a brand loyal to another brand be it with a sponsor or just brand loyalty. Few did not have the disc and that was due to non Innova brand they threw.

T-Rex is another I can think of but then the disc was hard to make in to weight in any plastic.

Yep. But that's how it goes. The Trident seemed to be popular, then Trilogy took it OOP...

Could just be the Classic ROC was no longer selling, or too many other discs overlapped what it did. There will always be those disappointed in a disc going OOP, whether it's the ROC or the Max or the Trident, etc.

Overlap at the time in 2004 and really 2005 when you could no longer find it on online stores or on shelves new, is my guess. It had to do with the disc the Cobra doing what the Classic ROC could do, sort of and sold better due to being in a starter package at the time. Also they thought the Hydra was supposed to take the spot too at that time, both fly different with Hydra being a true putter that can do putting better and is more a Challenger like flight.

Back in the field a bit today with the Raketen and a previously unthrown G* Shryke 168 g. Its literally a dead heat for sheer yardage. I can't pick one over the other. The Raketen seems to be a tiny bit more stable. I can throw it on huge anny lines and it flexes all over the place for ridiculous S curve distance. The Shryke seems to prefer a straighter line and a flat release. Favorable wind conditions today (slight R-L downwind breeze). I was chucking both of these 450'+. Had a couple absolute freak throws with a blizz Katana that went closer to 480'. Not useful golf distance on the Katana shots, but they were massive high flex shots that seemed to catch the jet stream and go forever.

Katana out-distanced everything else today. It was sloppy distance though. Its like throwing a Nuke SS. Trying to put it up there and hope you guessed right on the release angle. The fact that the disc is 150g and going into the jetstream didn't hurt.

How far do you throw something like a Wraith/mild Destroyer/Trespass/etc. on a golf line? Something that is speed 12ish with a -1/2 flight on a flat or slight hyzer release? I'm just wanting some more perspective on how much more distance you're getting with these discs and lines....480' is ridiculous haha

How far do you throw something like a Wraith/mild Destroyer/Trespass/etc. on a golf line? Something that is speed 12ish with a -1/2 flight on a flat or slight hyzer release? I'm just wanting some more perspective on how much more distance you're getting with these discs and lines....480' is ridiculous haha

Golf line.... probably 420'ish. Less if its a tight shot and real accuracy is needed. On a golf line I'd be going much straighter toward the basket. Not as much flex on those types of shots.

The shots I was doing today were big anhyzers that I was intentionally starting well left of the target and letting them work right quite a bit with big S curves.

I don't pull out the huge anny bomb line on the course very often. Its too easy to mess up.

So, I figure a huge flex line for me is good for 50' extra easily. Especially if I'm chucking a fast blizzard driver high and letting it S curve a ton. A Destroyer maxes out about 440' for me. I like them, but they aren't really good flex bombers. I use Destroyers a lot on the course for straight, accurate 400'ish drives.

I've been getting same from ballista pro...flexed a bit with wind from left just explodes...but stays right...fun and if hole is big and wide useful...but surprised that they dont fade back

Rakenten is 23.3mm so a true speed 13. I have one from funny money at my first MA3 win. It's a pretty interesting driver cause it has a little flip to it, but it doesn't seem like it's in the air for terribly long and yet I'm always surprised when I get to it and it went just as far as anything else I can throw. I feel like it's underrated for sure.
I will say dirt immediately gets into the hexes and is hard to get out.

I've been getting same from ballista pro...flexed a bit with wind from left just explodes...but stays right...fun and if hole is big and wide useful...but surprised that they dont fade back

I only have 1 Ballista Pro, and I don't see much flex out of it. The disc is still good for 400', but its straight with no turn. Most of that disc's distance comes from sheer speed. It doesn't glide remarkably well.

I throw the regular Ballista further than the Ballista Pro. On the course I'd probably prefer the Ballista Pro though. More consistent, less prone to random flipping.

Rakenten is 23.3mm so a true speed 13. I have one from funny money at my first MA3 win. It's a pretty interesting driver cause it has a little flip to it, but it doesn't seem like it's in the air for terribly long and yet I'm always surprised when I get to it and it went just as far as anything else I can throw. I feel like it's underrated for sure.
I will say dirt immediately gets into the hexes and is hard to get out.

The Raketen is underrated. I have one, and I love it. Little flippy, but huge glide. Very similar in flight to a Shryke for me.

I'm curious to get a regular ballista as now I've only been throwing the opto pro in max weight and I find I really like it but it's a little under stable when I like pushing for a more. It gets a big turn and stays there..bigger glyde and distance sounds good cause my courses are tend to be big and open and I can have fun with that.. katana used to work but I flip them now unless super clean hyzer throw.. would you get the raketen..or opto ballista regular..
Glide calm wind max bomber

I'm curious to get a regular ballista as now I've only been throwing the opto pro in max weight and I find I really like it but it's a little under stable when I like pushing for a more. It gets a big turn and stays there..bigger glyde and distance sounds good cause my courses are tend to be big and open and I can have fun with that.. katana used to work but I flip them now unless super clean hyzer throw.. would you get the raketen..or opto ballista regular..
Glide calm wind max bomber

Keep in mind that the regular Ballista is quite a bit flippier than the Ballista Pro. If you get one you'll turn it over easier.

For sheer distance in calm conditions I'd probably take the Ballista over the Raketen. I only say that because I have more experience with Ballistas. The Raketen is probably every bit as good, and its a bit less likely to flip.

Heavy star or G* Shrykes are what I generally use for max distance. Its open hole distance though. If accuracy is a must, I'll throw something more overstable that has far less chance of flipping.

Thank you you're right on this it's great..my straight d disc is the star boss..it goes nice straight with small fade..if I try to flex them they can dig in and stay way right...

Seasoned big z cranks or lighter ESP nukes can totally bomb. But they can get squirrelly in certain conditions / need lots of room to work laterally.

So, I found a disc that can match a Shryke for sheer distance. The Knight! My god this thing bombs. Unknown and underrated. I had the gold line Knight in the field vs. a G* Shryke today. It was pretty much a tie for max distance. The Knight is a hair faster than the Shryke, but doesn't quite have such floaty glide. Very similar overall flight patterns. Nothing I'm throwing right now is matching these two for distance. The only other disc I can even think of right now that might compare is a star Tern.

The Knight is worth a look for those wanting maximum distance and speed. It flies just a tick more overstable than a Ballista, but a speed faster. I'd go as far as to say that the Knight is the longest driver in the Trilogy lineup.

Shryke and Knight were both touching 450' today... multiple times.

I finally got a regular opto ballista...so much flipper than the pro...but not in a way I like...good for rollers and losing it to the right...I thought it might be a good compliment to the pro...guess it will need some getting used too

I finally got a regular opto ballista...so much flipper than the pro...but not in a way I like...good for rollers and losing it to the right...I thought it might be a good compliment to the pro...guess it will need some getting used too

I have better luck with Shrykes for flippy bombing. I like Ballistas OK, but they just aren't quite as good. They don't glide as well as Shrykes.

I've been getting back into the Katana lately too. Not as flippy or glidey as a Shryke, but every bit as long.