• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Matching the Shryke for sheer distance

I have better luck with Shrykes for flippy bombing. I like Ballistas OK, but they just aren't quite as good. They don't glide as well as Shrykes.

I've been getting back into the Katana lately too. Not as flippy or glidey as a Shryke, but every bit as long.

I've been expecting that I would begin having diminishing returns on distance as I am getting older, and that I'd be able to disc down to my Pro Wraith. But my Pro Shryke keeps outdistancing it and everything else. It keeps "dragging me back in", as that Godfather movie says... :D

I've been expecting that I would begin having diminishing returns on distance as I am getting older, and that I'd be able to disc down to my Pro Wraith. But my Pro Shryke keeps outdistancing it and everything else. It keeps "dragging me back in", as that Godfather movie says... :D

I've been having the same experiences with Terns and Katanas lately. I keep (for some reason) trying to write off both of those molds. However, they keep luring me back with their sheer distance potential.

The next Shryke I get to try for big distance is a 162g star. I've thrown a 150g star Shryke before, and I found it too flippy to get anything substantive out of.

I've been having the same experiences with Terns and Katanas lately. I keep (for some reason) trying to write off both of those molds. However, they keep luring me back with their sheer distance potential.

The next Shryke I get to try for big distance is a 162g star. I've thrown a 150g star Shryke before, and I found it too flippy to get anything substantive out of.

I've been throwing Star Shrykes for the last year and a half as my (longer) beat Star Wraith replacement. I remember throwing a few 170ish Champ Terns a couple years back for that slot and they did bomb. Stars were really flippy and less consistent for me. I think I dropped them cause of the relatively shallow rim.

I've been throwing Star Shrykes for the last year and a half as my (longer) beat Star Wraith replacement. I remember throwing a few 170ish Champ Terns a couple years back for that slot and they did bomb. Stars were really flippy and less consistent for me. I think I dropped them cause of the relatively shallow rim.

I prefer the Shryke to the Tern, but its close. I just feel like the Shryke provides a bit more consistency. Terns are wilder for me. Distance is the same. Despite being a speed slower a Tern will fly as far as a Shryke.

The Shryke is the flippiest driver I bag. I don't use it a ton, but its perfect for those really open holes where no danger lurks. Sometimes being able to unleash 450' of power on the course has its uses.

So, I found a disc that can match a Shryke for sheer distance. The Knight! My god this thing bombs. Unknown and underrated. I had the gold line Knight in the field vs. a G* Shryke today. It was pretty much a tie for max distance. The Knight is a hair faster than the Shryke, but doesn't quite have such floaty glide. Very similar overall flight patterns. Nothing I'm throwing right now is matching these two for distance. The only other disc I can even think of right now that might compare is a star Tern.

The Knight is worth a look for those wanting maximum distance and speed. It flies just a tick more overstable than a Ballista, but a speed faster. I'd go as far as to say that the Knight is the longest driver in the Trilogy lineup.

Shryke and Knight were both touching 450' today... multiple times.

I enjoyed the knight when I owned one! It was one of 2 discs that I was ever able to get around the 400ft mark on sidearm, the other being a max weight bolt. Both of those discs bomb and are really fun to throw. Unfortunately, I lost my Knight at Maple Hil..

I enjoyed the knight when I owned one! It was one of 2 discs that I was ever able to get around the 400ft mark on sidearm, the other being a max weight bolt. Both of those discs bomb and are really fun to throw. Unfortunately, I lost my Knight at Maple Hil..

I love my Knight. For me it flies like a broken in Katana. Nice turn and a pretty soft fade. The Bolt was way flippier for me. I've never had luck with that mold. Very long, but super easy to turn and burn.

My Knight will go as far as a G* Shryke, but its a lower, straighter flight. The Shryke flies higher, glides better, and has more S curve.

The Knight is the longest driver in Trilogy's lineup, IMO.

2nd outing with ballista..got it to fly better but had to throw it less hard..then my ballista pro...even though same speed..the bproprefers more power and frankly I much prefer its flight...I'm sure I will find the right angles for the regular one...

2nd outing with ballista..got it to fly better but had to throw it less hard..then my ballista pro...even though same speed..the bproprefers more power and frankly I much prefer its flight...I'm sure I will find the right angles for the regular one...

With the regular Ballista you'll probably have to throw hyzerflips to maximize distance. I've gone well over 400' with Ballistas, but hyzer release was needed. Thrown flat the Ballista will flip on anything over about 350'.

The Ballista is definitely more finicky than the Shryke when it comes to understable distance.

I wonder if I just have a bad ballista...it flps very easily fh and bh...today I was throwing downwind d sidewind...threw a katana past hole...udisc 420...it hit the trees ..really was cruising flat...threw the ballista...300 ft then a roller...this thing is like my r pro boss flippy.....without the downwind crush potential...its a 173 opto...and I love my bpro

I wonder if I just have a bad ballista...it flps very easily fh and bh...today I was throwing downwind d sidewind...threw a katana past hole...udisc 420...it hit the trees ..really was cruising flat...threw the ballista...300 ft then a roller...this thing is like my r pro boss flippy.....without the downwind crush potential...its a 173 opto...and I love my bpro

I've definitely seen a couple of bad Ballistas. When they beat in a little they get super flippy and wild. I also found that really flat Ballistas are flippy too. I don't like them. They flip over, don't glide very well, and then hook fade late.

MOST Ballistas I've thrown are flippy, but still manageable.

Matching the Shryke for sheer distance....

OK, back on topic for a bit here. I recently threw a disc that could give any Shryke a run for its money. A Z lite Nuke SS, 161g. I've thrown quite a few Nuke SS's over the years, almost all of them Z. They tend to be on the flat side, very little dome. This Z lite one has a big dome. First time I've ever really seen any dome on a Nuke SS.

Surprisingly, this disc can be thrown hard and is at least somewhat resistant to turning over entirely Thrown hyzer this Nuke SS flips up and flexes out hugely. Glide is outstanding, and I was getting to 450' with surprisingly little effort. The flight actually reminds me of a Shryke. This is by far the best flying and longest Nuke SS I've thrown.

Discraft's Z like plastic looks like good stuff. It isn't all choppy and ugly like blizzard.

Any of you noodle arms looking for a really easy fast disc to throw might want to check out the Z lite Nuke SS.

I know I'm preaching to the shryke choir here....but today throwing my fave katanas..I threw a pro destroyer and saw to my surprise it was almost identical. Middle of fairway...same d....threw star shryke 40 ft past them...but off on the right side...tried this twice same result...light wind... But for some reason I cannot control the shrike as well as a katana or even a pro destroyer I will lose them to the right pretty much every time I throw them.. The pro destroyer I know will flip to a roller but I can get the angle as a rule to keep it straight if there is no wind The shryke I know will bomb but I know it will end up turning and not coming back.. And katona I can get to fly straight if I throw them on a little heizer. But will flip hard to rollers if I overdo it and throw flat..not good rollers either

I know I'm preaching to the shryke choir here....but today throwing my fave katanas..I threw a pro destroyer and saw to my surprise it was almost identical. Middle of fairway...same d....threw star shryke 40 ft past them...but off on the right side...tried this twice same result...light wind... But for some reason I cannot control the shrike as well as a katana or even a pro destroyer I will lose them to the right pretty much every time I throw them.. The pro destroyer I know will flip to a roller but I can get the angle as a rule to keep it straight if there is no wind The shryke I know will bomb but I know it will end up turning and not coming back.. And katona I can get to fly straight if I throw them on a little heizer. But will flip hard to rollers if I overdo it and throw flat..not good rollers either

Not being facetious nor trying to troll you in any way, but do you think some of the issue might be form? In particular, wrist roll?

I would agree....but I throw the katanas fine..and like us discs.. and throw my aviars accurately up to 300 ft..on tee.....I even throw a dx shark for similar holes that are just a little far for the aviar*downwind *... Could be oat...but the others dont flip as unpredictably...I like the star shryke..just dont know where it's going always...I m sure you're right and it's just more sensitive to an extra tug ..

With any degree of stability I've found the Kahu XG to be the longest disc that's not a flip monster. I hit 450 with it on the course and 425 another two times on real golf lines. It's a beast.

Those are all backhands btw, I throw Warhorses 450+ FH whenever.

Last edited:

Katanas generally have a harder fade than Shrykes. If you go right with a Katana it'll usually fight back toward center at the end of flight. Shrykes can drift right and stay there, especially if there's any wind at your face. Honestly, I can probably throw Katanas and Shrykes the same distance. The Katana gets its distance with speed/penetration while the Shryke gets distance with floaty glide and not wanting to fade much late.

BTW, champion Shrykes have some late fade. I don't find them to be flippy at all. Stars and G*s definitely can be though.

Last edited:
With any degree of stability I've found the Kahu XG to be the longest disc that's not a flip monster. I hit 450 with it on the course and 425 another two times on real golf lines. It's a beast.

Those are all backhands btw, I throw Warhorses 450+ FH whenever.

I just got a Warhorse. I'll take it to the field this week and try it. I'm definitely not expecting 450'. It looks pretty overstable.

I just got a Warhorse. I'll take it to the field this week and try it. I'm definitely not expecting 450'. It looks pretty overstable.

It's very Os, but beats into a huge FH bomber.

You ever try giants for that....I ve never us ed d the war horse....sounds like you bomb em

It's very Os, but beats into a huge FH bomber.

Forehand isn't really my specialty, especially for max distance. I'll give it a go though. I'll probably throw the Warhorse tomorrow or Wed. I'll do a little write up on it afterward.

I have a nice World I need to try too. I'll take it out with the Warhorse.

Latest posts