• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Matching the Shryke for sheer distance

So I shouldn't have read this thread because it made me think I needed one of these. I have had a Jessica Weese swirled star but didn't jive with it because it is flat, low glide, too dumpy, and as an Innova swirl, it looks like a muddy pinkish blur. BUT, I think this particular run must have just molded up weird. When I look at OTB, I see all the ones for this run showing as being board flat which is consistent with mine.

Fast forward several months and I decide to try something. Not long ago, I was content with my Wraiths. Then I threw my friend's beat in star destroyer and decided I needed one. So then I bought a bunch of destroyers and find them very similar distance wise as my Wraiths but with a more dependable fade. I can get destroyers to turn as much as a wraith and get similar distance, but for the same turn and distance, the destroyer is more reliable in its fade. Its not much of a difference at my max distance of 400'ish. I would imagine someone with 450' of reliable power would find destroyers to go about the same distance as a wraith but a little more dependable fade.

To make a long story short, too late, I have had a few guys who can't throw as far as I do getting close to me with Shrykes - so obviously something had to be done. I broke out the Weese swirly star and reaffirmed my belief that shryke's were terrible. Then I saw the OTB dome ratings and realized that the Weese run may be an anomaly.

Enter the shryke. So I bought a 171g standard star run off infinite. I was still skeptical and thought I have some lower stability destoyers (gstar, pro pfn) which are probably basically the same as a shryke. I also have a 3 line AJ destoyer that is almost destrulcan looking in that it has a very linear shoulder and then breaks into a slight dome. The shryke has that wedge shape where the shoulder is straightish rather than a curvey.

Feel wise, the shryke is very similar to a destroyer but slightly more comfortable for me. I think it having slightly less depth keeps my indix fingers first knuckle from digging into the bottom of the flight plate so much. I generally prefer wraiths because of the smaller rim but the shryke is a nice compromise with the width of a destroyer but slightly more comfortable due to the depth.

Today, I went out to a wide open 400' hole, with a bag full of drivers and my 6 year old on the speed gun. I was throwing wraiths (pfn pro & star of varying stability), destroyers (current gstar, pfn pro, aj 3 line), an echo star DD3, and my new star shryke - all 171-175g. Conditions were pretty windy with gusts close to 10 MPH mostly left to right but slightly into me as well.

I only got to throw each 3 times today but the shryke was consistently the longest. It is definitely not the most dependable. I was kind of surprised to see it turn over as much as it would brand new but man its long.

The gummy AJ and PFN pro destroyers were the shortest, which sucks because I love that AJ. The gstar destroyer, star wraiths, and echo DD3 flew similarly and got nice distance with a dependable faded for me. The destroyer has half a season of mileage, the wraiths maybe 10 rounds, and the DD3 was unthrown. The longest two discs were the PFN pro wraith (played with a bit but never in trees) and the shryke.

For my best throws with these two, and my daughter on the speed gun, I hyzered the wraith out 62 mph (highest I was hitting today) and it popped, drifted right hard, and finally fought out right before the ground. Shryke came next at 60 and followed a very similar line (unfortunately both were 50' right of the target...). I thought the wraith was the longest but when I got out there, the shryke had it by 25'. Wow, I thought, this thing bombs.

I am concerned about control, but man this thing is fast and glidey. It does remind me of a valk in that it goes further than you think when you throw it. Really nice disc.

Anyway, these were my first impressions. It is going in the bag for now. Let me know your current impressions of different available runs and stability.

Anyway, these were my first impressions. It is going in the bag for now. Let me know your current impressions of different available runs and stability.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun!
My sample size is only two, stock star 171g right around when star was a new release practice: great for max distance for a long time, still awesome for distance sidearms (when wind isn't a concern) but after living in kansas for a few years it has been traded to someone who throws slightly slower than me so they get the best flight out of it.

I now sometimes carry a XXL stamp (I think that's what it is) Star Shryke that claims its 175 but I scaled it at 177.. Holy cow this thing bombs, I believe it is without a doubt my farthest throwing disc when I get the nose angle right. Its fairly stable if thrown on hyzer, but if thrown on accidental anny it will not come out. It's a great run and from what I understand Star seem to be the glidiest plastic its molded up in and I haven't heard of run-to-run variation.

Nice read! Long, but worth it. I fully agree that not all Shrykes are good. I have quite a few of them now (20+) in all plastics. I have one color glow Carina Nowles Shryke that is probably my worst one. Really flat and pretty glideless. The disc will turn over easily, but then wants to fade hard too soon.

IMO a good Shryke needs some dome. I've thrown a few flat ones and I don't like them. I've had good luck with star, G* and champion. Champion Shrykes can be almost beefy at times, but they'll still bomb. G*s are probably the longest (also the flippiest).

With Shrykes I generally aim left of the target (RHBH) and let the disc float right in an exaggerated S curve. Done right it'll end up pretty much on line and well over 400' away. Shrykes aren't very good wind discs. They'll do OK downwind, but suck crosswind or upwind.

The only other Innova mold I can get similar distance with is the Katana.

Furthermore, I don't think run makes a huge difference with Shrykes. I've thrown a whole bunch of them since they came out. For the most part the Shryke is a pretty consistent mold. I see very few oddballs that don't fly right.

Dome is the key. The domier the Shryke the more it'll bomb. All 3 plastics will work. Heavy G*s absolutely defy gravity. They'll do 450' pretty easily.

Obviously with a Shryke you're going to get that flippy, floaty glide. It isn't a mold I use when accuracy is of grave importance. When you absolutely want to throw as far as possible the Shryke will get you there though.

You ever try giants for that....I ve never us ed d the war horse....sounds like you bomb em

Giant goes far, for sure, but if I snap it hard I have no idea where it will land. Working on that though, as I think it could be the disc that helps me hit 500 on the reg. Hitting 475 with a Warhorse 2/5 now so I have to think a good OS Giant would go farther. If I ever get to a field again that's my next project.

I find that Westside Kings, in the high 150's outdistance my Shrykes.

A King will fly as far as a Shryke, but its noticeably flippier and really touchy. If you get over on a King even a little bit it'll go dive bombing right into the ground. Shrykes are more resistant to totally turning over.

I'd say the same thing about the Destiny. I was mashing on a Destiny a couple weeks ago, but it kept wanting to turn over.

Furthermore, I don't think run makes a huge difference with Shrykes. I've thrown a whole bunch of them since they came out. For the most part the Shryke is a pretty consistent mold. I see very few oddballs that don't fly right.

Dome is the key. The domier the Shryke the more it'll bomb. All 3 plastics will work. Heavy G*s absolutely defy gravity. They'll do 450' pretty easily.

Obviously with a Shryke you're going to get that flippy, floaty glide. It isn't a mold I use when accuracy is of grave importance. When you absolutely want to throw as far as possible the Shryke will get you there though.

Already ordered another star and a gstar damnit.

My real concern is that I can't throw this disc on any wooded courses or gaps I'm nervous about because it would become a roller after a few hits. It flies like a beat in champ valk in a row sweet spot with a long sweeping turn. I know y'all had different experiences but my champ mamba, star and champ terns are more stable out of the box than this. Whereas those are glide machines, this has the sick glide, a beautiful turn, but just seems to haul ass while doing it.

Have you thrown standard champs? Better than the color glow? Too bad, I love Innova color glow champ. Sexton firebird and Allen teebird are two of my favorite discs.

Already ordered another star and a gstar damnit.

My real concern is that I can't throw this disc on any wooded courses or gaps I'm nervous about because it would become a roller after a few hits. It flies like a beat in champ valk in a row sweet spot with a long sweeping turn. I know y'all had different experiences but my champ mamba, star and champ terns are more stable out of the box than this. Whereas those are glide machines, this has the sick glide, a beautiful turn, but just seems to haul ass while doing it.

Have you thrown standard champs? Better than the color glow? Too bad, I love Innova color glow champ. Sexton firebird and Allen teebird are two of my favorite discs.

I've thrown 6 or 8 champion Shrykes. Only 2 of them are glow. The Karina Nowles one I mentioned earlier was probably the only bad Shryke I've ever thrown in any plastic. I have one regular glow Shryke with a big dome that flies how it ought to. Usually a champion Shryke flies pretty true to the assigned numbers.

BTW, I do all my Shryke throwing in the open. We don't really have heavily treed courses around here.

Lastly, I try to avoid glow plastic in general. I don't think it flies that well or glides. I've thrown quite a few molds in glow and they always seem beefy and glideless.

Got a throw in today without the wind and the disc really played true to its numbers without turning over too much - a slightly more narrow valk flight path in a disc that is a touch faster and higher glide than a destroyer.

Anyone thrown halo shrykes? Got a few from Japan open with a higher PLH and wondering if they will be like a mellow destroyer.

So I know this was labeled as a Lat thread (really Trilogy), but what is DCs/DGAs Shryke-like mold? Thrasher is slower by about 2 speeds, the Crank is too OS otb and slightly too wide rimmed, and the Nuke SS is also too wide rimmed and inconsistent. I hear the Hades might fill this slot, but with its release being delayed by Covid I'm stuck.

So I know this was labeled as a Lat thread (really Trilogy), but what is DCs/DGAs Shryke-like mold? Thrasher is slower by about 2 speeds, the Crank is too OS otb and slightly too wide rimmed, and the Nuke SS is also too wide rimmed and inconsistent. I hear the Hades might fill this slot, but with its release being delayed by Covid I'm stuck.

Discraft doesn't have anything that matches the Shryke for speed and floaty glide. The Crank is somewhat close, but it isn't as understable, and doesn't glide nearly as well. I get MUCH better distance with Shrykes than I do with any Crank I've ever thrown. Cranks will turn, but they have a somewhat dumpy late fade.

The Thrasher is quite a bit more finicky than a Shryke. They flip over and don't come back. I've had good throws with a Thrasher, but overall I didn't like the mold. It seemed like a really beat Surge.

I know the Nuke SS is flippy and inconsistent, but I'd still say its Discraft's longest mold at this time.

I think Discraft just came out with the Hades. Isn't that supposed to be a Shryke-like disc?

What really sets the Shryke apart from almost all other drivers is the 6 glide. That is absolutely legit. The Shryke floats better than almost anything out there.

Latest posts