• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Milwaukee Fall Color Tour

ru4por

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Heading to Milwaukee the week of Oct 8th through 15th. Looking for golf insight, as well as other outdoor activities the area offers. Dining and drinking suggestions are always welcome. Come on you Wisco golfers, tell me what you got. :popcorn:

Like Juke said, Brown deer and Dretzka are the top 2 in Milwaukee. Park pass is good for all 5 Milwaukee county courses. Stoney Creek and Sandy Knoll just a bit north are both really solid. I'd recommend them for sure.

Johnson park in Racine and the Foxes in Kenosha are worth playing if you're driving up thru Chicago.

Heading to Milwaukee the week of Oct 8th through 15th. Looking for golf insight, as well as other outdoor activities the area offers. Dining and drinking suggestions are always welcome. Come on you Wisco golfers, tell me what you got. :popcorn:

Unfortunately, my vacation got bumped to first week of October....

Fortunately, weather looks fantastic for me at start of the week.

I hope to hit a bunch of these courses next week.

Last edited:
Lime Kiln Park is a good/interesting niner.

Sprecher Brewery is a good place for food and beverge.

...I see Juke already mentioned both of these; but New Glarus Brewery has some fine thirst-quenching capabilities as well. (No activities, drats! I got to see Moe play at that brewery, after a day of discin'.) The grounds are quite interesting. Talk a walk around with a beverage in hand, if you go there.

Unfortunately, my vacation got bumped to first week of October....

Fortunately, weather looks fantastic for me at start of the week.

I hope to hit a bunch of these courses next week.

Too bad, love to have hit up a couple courses with ya. Have fun, man.

Stoney Creek practice basket. Doesn't get much more Wisco!
This course gets really interesting at hole eight.

d52325bf.jpg

I've had some very fun times at Dawgwood Ditch. Appears Sundays are their league day. This one has the private vibe.

306232751_5803179306380616_12784574021766260_n.jpg

Went there not too long ago and aced #8. Glad nobody was there because I was probably shouting like a lunatic for a solid 2 minutes.

Also OP, I know it's been said but definitely check out Brown Deer/Dretzka/Estabrook but if you don't mind being in a sketchier part of town for a quick round, I highly recommend the new layout at Dineen. The rough is probably shorter now so the course will be a lot more forgiving in a few areas. Also, Johnson Park in Racine is a surprisingly fun/decent course although, the navigation is not the greatest. Not too far north of the city in West Bend area there's a few good ones a la Sandy Knoll and Riverside.

As for things to do, do yourself a favor and stop by the Glorioso's Italian market and get yourself a HUGE tub of spaghetti sauce. You won't regret it.

Last edited:

So did you make it to MKE?

So did you make it to MKE?

Arrived on Sat night. Played Sandy Knoll, Stoney Creek and Rollin Ridge. We are only getting in one round a day. With the wife and year old lab, rounds are pretty slow. That is OK though, we have simply pulled out some chairs, had lunch and I got to have a couple frosty beers....part of the standard re-hydration protocol.

Sandy Knoll was a wonderful round. The colors in the park were getting going and this course is a quiet, secluded run. A well stocked pro shop with a fire going outside to sit by and have lunch. Had dinner at Mader's, an old German place near the Airbnb. Solid German food and a boot full of Octoberfest.

Played Stony Creek the next day. The wife and I discussed that, courses only get one shot at an impression with traveling players. In addition to this course being a slow starter, we were accosted by two Golden Retrievers for the first two holes. Friendly enough, but with one of them in heat (diaper clad), the other a male and my exuberant pup, it made for an irritating scenario, to say the least. Also had to listen to a group of family members, then spend a hour bellowing for "Willow and Peter". Front nine was kind of bland, but the back nine of this course delivered. No place to picnic at Stony, so we trekked back toward "home" and stopped off at Brown Deer to have lunch and let rush hour settle down. Ate at a real nice, trendy Italian place, called Sorella. Yum.

Got up to Rollin Ridge on Tues. A bit of a drive, but worth it. One of the best disc golf experiences I have had. The golf was very good, the vibe was awesome, the bar was a fantastic addition to any course. We had lunch, several beers and spent a few hours kicking back and enjoying a 70 degree fall afternoon. Accosted by an aggressive Shepard mix while relaxing. Dammit, leash your freaking dogs. SMH. Probably not a top five course, but it could be a top five destination.

Crappy and rainy today, thinking about hitting one of the local MKE courses. Reservations at Mo's Steakhouse tonight.

Trip is going wonderfully. What a great time of year and Wisconsin is a Midwest delight.

The course have been very good, the trip is a blast.

Arrived on Sat night. Played Sandy Knoll, Stoney Creek and Rollin Ridge. We are only getting in one round a day. With the wife and year old lab, rounds are pretty slow. That is OK though, we have simply pulled out some chairs, had lunch and I got to have a couple frosty beers....part of the standard re-hydration protocol.

Sandy Knoll was a wonderful round. The colors in the park were getting going and this course is a quiet, secluded run. A well stocked pro shop with a fire going outside to sit by and have lunch. Had dinner at Mader's, an old German place near the Airbnb. Solid German food and a boot full of Octoberfest.

Played Stony Creek the next day. The wife and I discussed that, courses only get one shot at an impression with traveling players. In addition to this course being a slow starter, we were accosted by two Golden Retrievers for the first two holes. Friendly enough, but with one of them in heat (diaper clad), the other a male and my exuberant pup, it made for an irritating scenario, to say the least. Also had to listen to a group of family members, then spend a hour bellowing for "Willow and Peter". Front nine was kind of bland, but the back nine of this course delivered. No place to picnic at Stony, so we trekked back toward "home" and stopped off at Brown Deer to have lunch and let rush hour settle down. Ate at a real nice, trendy Italian place, called Sorella. Yum.

Got up to Rollin Ridge on Tues. A bit of a drive, but worth it. One of the best disc golf experiences I have had. The golf was very good, the vibe was awesome, the bar was a fantastic addition to any course. We had lunch, several beers and spent a few hours kicking back and enjoying a 70 degree fall afternoon. Accosted by an aggressive Shepard mix while relaxing. Dammit, leash your freaking dogs. SMH. Probably not a top five course, but it could be a top five destination.

Crappy and rainy today, thinking about hitting one of the local MKE courses. Reservations at Mo's Steakhouse tonight.

Trip is going wonderfully. What a great time of year and Wisconsin is a Midwest delight.

The course have been very good, the trip is a blast.

Today would not have been good on most any course...
When I went in to work this morning @ 6am it was raining...
Managed to look out a window about 9am it was very sunny...
By noon we had rain, wind,
thunder and tornado wrnings...what is this spring all over again.
By 1pm it was just rain...
When I left work @ 3:30pm...
Sunny and cool...Fall had arrived, surprisingly since a lot of trees have not changed to fall colors, their leaves were not blown off...

Hope you have better weather the rest of the week.

Latest posts