• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mt Airy DGC Alert! Threat of closure!!!

Played there 2 years ago, incredible course. Good luck and I will spread the word as much as possible.

WEll it comes down to this, we need a street car before we need nice city parks so that the the low lifes have a way to get to clifton and back. :doh::wall::eek:

Mt. Airy is a city park not a Hamilton county park but why not charge 3 dollar entry to keep them open. Hamilton county has done that for as long as I remember. Oh wait a minute that is because cincinnati city council are a bunch of idiots and always have been. :sick:

Hamilton County Parks are now $10 a year. I still buy one. Mt Airy could do the same.

In delaware, they have 3 in state and 6 out of state. 25 dollar season pass. The parks are really well kept.

We shouldn't forget about the HISTORY of Mt. Airy Forest either! Mt. Airy has been around for more than a HUNDRED years! Cincinnati championed the way for reforestation and urban parks a hundred years ago, we shouldn't just throw that away!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Airy_Forest

I didn't realize that. Pretty incredible. It has an important place in disc golf history as well.

If it is on the National Register of Historic Places, is there any way to apply for Federal aid of some sort? Perhaps if the plan going forward is to use the aid in conjunction with local income from pay-to-play status?

For those in the Cincinnati area:

Well, what a great thing to wake up to after finally joining the club after many years and just donating for two tee signs at Mt. Airy.

As Drew said above, this is larger than just the course. We are being held hostage in Cincinnati by a mayor that tells voters not to sign a petition putting the parking plan up to a vote because "you will be responsible for laying off police and fire."

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region...rges-parking-referendum-backers-to-reconsider

The streetcar is a boondoggle that will serve few, while enriching the select as does the parking plan and the sports stadium deals.

http://www.fox19.com/story/22136408/reality-check-is-saving-the-streetcar-project-really-feasible

http://www.fox19.com/story/22148461/rc-laying-off-police-and-firefighters-isnt-cincys-only-option

I plan to be there on Monday and will do what I can to remove Mt. Airy and the course from being a bargaining chip in this poker game.

Please read and watch the Ben Swann clips to educate yourself before the meeting.

As a last resort, I think a pay to play parking pass for only the course area is a good idea.

Sounds like people in Cincinnati need to vote the "crap" out of office and get some representatives in there who deserve to be there! This sounds like more of the cut the budget where it hurts people the most way of thinking!!! Get rid of them.

Anyone ever ride on the People Mover in downtown Detroit? We did once, just out of curiosity. Now it rambles around Detroit like a ghost train. Millions of dollars wasted on something nobody uses. I would much rather have nice parks with disc golf courses in them myself.

Sounds like people in Cincinnati need to vote the "crap" out of office and get some representatives in there who deserve to be there! This sounds like more of the cut the budget where it hurts people the most way of thinking!!! Get rid of them.

That is the problem here. We have what 8-9 council members who get voted in by the city residence but a majority of the people who work there and pay the city taxes do not live there so they have no vote as to who gets in. I live in kentucky but work in cincinnati and pay my payroll tax but have no say in who runs the city. The city council has been run by idiots for as long as I remember and I am 53 and grew up in cheviot when it was a decent neighborhood. The problem with the council is they play to the constituents only and really could give a crap less about everyone else. The mayor now wants a street car and has spent millions to find out that it will cost millions more to build than originally expected.

Jaydub I thought it was $3 a day and $10 a year or something like that. I know I went to winton woods last year I thought we paid three for a day but can't remember.

Well Im in the same boat as Chain Chaser, Fred, and Jason, paying a payroll tax in the city with no vote, while the hood rats vote in the same crappy officials over and over.

Cincinnati sounds like about every other city in the U.S.

Hope you guys can save Mt. Airy.

The Nati should get some fundraiser discs with a cool stamp on them to raise some money for the course.

I'm thinking a Kickstarter campaign to save the course, if not the park in total. T-shirts, fundraiser discs, etc.

Words can't describe how pissed off this makes me. I started using other parts of Mt Airey, and walking the trails etc. I stopped at Northside and ate at a local eatery like Melt almost every Sunday, and stopped at Northside Tavern and the Comet many times after playing disc golf or hiking at Airey.

The worst part is that the people who want this street car were just rallying against the proposed new parking lots, and the SPCA becoming a resedential building. Get this they want to have more green space, or urban parks. Cincinnati is the worst ran city in existence with the squandered money of the banks for 12 years, to the 100 + million dollar overrun, and the expectations that electrical company was going to do the wiring for the city for free. The truth is that Cincy is nothing more than a bunch of Bars, Restaurants, and one brewer who is on the Governments tit so they can have a hipster, and young professional mecca in the urban center. The problem is that these people create nothing, produce nothing, and if it weren't for Government subsidies would have long been working as cashier's at Krogers. The economy already are eating these art, and startup companies. All the hipsters instead of a 2 mile long streetcar, ride your f'n bike that you are always touting. Cincinnati is a very dense and walkable city and the street car might work if you ran it from Northern KY or Mason, Blue Ash, etc. But for a two mile amusement park ride to an overpriced farmers market is not really anything that is going to be swallowed back up by the ghetto in 5 years. Makes me want to RIOT!

I'm thinking a Kickstarter campaign to save the course, if not the park in total. T-shirts, fundraiser discs, etc.

Mt Airey is a huge park. I highly doubt that even if every disc golfer gave 20 bucks, it would help fund the park. Louisville just had a very similar situation with Otter Creek which may even be bigger than Airey and somehow they got it back? Maybe try and adopt the model that they are using down there?

Guys, don't you have other organizations that also use that park, or a "friends of the park" group there? It would seem to me hooking up with those groups would help bolster the cause.