• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mt Airy DGC Alert! Threat of closure!!!

Guys, don't you have other organizations that also use that park, or a "friends of the park" group there? It would seem to me hooking up with those groups would help bolster the cause.

I highly doubt it. All the emphasis and fighting are going on over Washington Park and Music Hall. Pretty much OTR. The two major political groups: http://cincinnatiansforprogress.com/Home.asp and http://coast-usa.blogspot.com/ are both against laying off police and firefighters. Cincinnatians for Progress want green spaces but they don't care about Mt Airey they are only focused on OTR because that is were all the 3cdc development, arts funding, street car funding, etc is at. Think Airey is the compromise to satisfy both right and left wing tards in this city. If there is a group it's microscopic compared to these two groups. All the city council members are pretty much Progress surrogates. Hope they find a way to at least try and keep this park open. :(

Last edited:
Jaydub I thought it was $3 a day and $10 a year or something like that. I know I went to winton woods last year I thought we paid three for a day but can't remember.
You are correct. I might have misunderstood your post. It use to be $3 a year for Hamilton Cty Parks but now it's like you said, $3 a day or $10 a year.

Mt Airey is a huge park. I highly doubt that even if every disc golfer gave 20 bucks, it would help fund the park. Louisville just had a very similar situation with Otter Creek which may even be bigger than Airey and somehow they got it back? Maybe try and adopt the model that they are using down there?
I was actually at Otter Creek today and it was a really fun course and park. We had to pay 3$ per/person to get into the park for the day or you can pay 30/yr. It was an awesome park and we explored the whole area so we got our 9$'s worth that we spent to get in. It is run by the KY dept. of fish and wildlife resources who told us that they did it so the park could be open but it was not what they do. Parts seemed run down and the roads seem rough but all in all we had a good time. They also have gates that close at a certain time but will let you out when you leave. Nice setup and really could be a model for Mt. Airy to help save the park.

That is the problem here. We have what 8-9 council members who get voted in by the city residence.

Another issue with Cincinnati politics is the way the 9 member council is selected in an city wide vote with no real district representation. There is no council person to represent the interest of the immediate lower to middle class neighbors surrounding the park. If any progress is to be made in keeping the park open, the locals have to be involved. This is bigger than disc golf imo.

I would like to see the County get involved and take over Mt Airy since it is not really located in the city. They could charge for the yearly/daily County parks decal and charge a daily/yearly premium to play disc golf at Mt Airy with stipulation that the money made from DG premiums be set aside for course maintenance and upkeep.

I do not think the poorly planned street car can take the entire blame for fiasco. This city has squandered millions over the years on absolutely nothing.

House of Stark "Winter is coming"

This city has squandered millions over the years on absolutely nothing.

^^^Truer words were never spoken!

...and I'm not just talking about a stadium for Mr. Brown!

Mt Airey is a huge park. I highly doubt that even if every disc golfer gave 20 bucks, it would help fund the park. Louisville just had a very similar situation with Otter Creek which may even be bigger than Airey and somehow they got it back? Maybe try and adopt the model that they are using down there?

Louisville Metro let go of Otter Creek a few years back (maybe like 2007-2008). It sat idle for a couple years before Kentucky Fish and Wildlife took control and opened it as a fish and wildlife recreation area.

I know it's no consolation, but city government of this competence is not unique to Cincinnati.

^^^Truer words were never spoken!

...and I'm not just talking about a stadium for Mr. Brown!

Don't forget the 15 years of them redesigning The Banks! Or the Million dollar plot of land for the Freedom Center which operates at a 2 million dollar a year loss!

I know it's no consolation, but city government of this competence is not unique to Cincinnati.

Think most city governments especially this one are nothing more than surrogates to pump money into prevailing wage contractors, labor unions, and garbage non profits.

From looking at what is said, the city is closing the bathrooms, reducing the grass cutting as cost savers, but what is the actual cost to the city to keep the baskets up. The costs for maintaining the baskets/course may be minimal and perhaps the DG Club could cover the costs or an argument could be made that the park will still be available for DG use at no cost to the city since the baskets are already in place and the club could maintain the baskets. Just food for thought.

From looking at what is said, the city is closing the bathrooms, reducing the grass cutting as cost savers, but what is the actual cost to the city to keep the baskets up. The costs for maintaining the baskets/course may be minimal and perhaps the DG Club could cover the costs or an argument could be made that the park will still be available for DG use at no cost to the city since the baskets are already in place and the club could maintain the baskets. Just food for thought.

This was discussed yesterday at The Nati. We need to see if the city would allow us to help maintain the course and if they do if we have the finances and manpower to follow thru with it

Think most city governments especially this one are nothing more than surrogates to pump money into prevailing wage contractors, labor unions, and garbage non profits.

I think it's just that there's more glory is some grand project than there is in competent management of money and services. More in a ribbon-cutting ceremony than a balanced ledger.

Public Budget Hearings at Duke Energy Center 6pm on Monday 5/13/13.
Ok so I have searched the City Council website and have found nothing on this meeting. The only meeting scheduled is at 1 PM at city council chamber on the street car. I also look at the duke energy center and they do not have anything on the schedule that shows any kind of meeting tonight.

Duke energy convention center schedule

Council Events and there is nothing

No mention of this in Budget Proposal by City manager

Seems this would have been mentioned specifically and if a meeting was tonight it would have to be on the schedule somewhere.

Only meeting on the schedule today and it is in council chambers

Just putting this out there so that people can verify this as it is not anywhere on any schedule!!:confused:

Bash city council all you want hamilton county out the stadiums on the ballot that decision eas made by the people. Securing a nfl franchise was a good move for the city/ county. They should of done the stadium differently ut building it was a win for the city, and the people made the decision. Back to the course i h
Hope the or nati can work somethung out but not getting my hopes up.

Ok so I have searched the City Council website and have found nothing on this meeting. The only meeting scheduled is at 1 PM at city council chamber on the street car. I also look at the duke energy center and they do not have anything on the schedule that shows any kind of meeting tonight.

Duke energy convention center schedule

Council Events and there is nothing

No mention of this in Budget Proposal by City manager

Seems this would have been mentioned specifically and if a meeting was tonight it would have to be on the schedule somewhere.

Only meeting on the schedule today and it is in council chambers

Just putting this out there so that people can verify this as it is not anywhere on any schedule!!:confused:

I looked for this today also everywhere and the only thing that came up on Google about this meeting is this thread. :confused:

I am probably not going to be able to make this meeting anyway but just trying to put this out there for those planning on going.