• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mt Airy DGC Alert! Threat of closure!!!

Old Bassman

Eagle Member
This just released:

From The Greater Cincinnati Flying Disc Association

We have just been informed of the following per Cincinnati Parks,

To Disc Golf Course Users:
Yesterday we recieved some very discouraging news regarding budget from City Managers Office. The proposed reduction of parks budget is severe if not catastrophic. It will include closing of Mt Airy Forest on July 1, 2013 including the disc golf course. If you or any other disc golf couse users want to speak on the park boards behalf please plan on attending the Public Budget Hearings at Duke Energy Center 6pm on Monday 5/13/13.

Myself and the other Club Officers will be attending to speak on our side of things but please feel free to attend for a show of support. There are many other parks that will be closing, like Caldewll and Seymour, plus all restrooms will be closed, all floral beds, and mowing cycles cut in half with other definite cuts I don`t know of yet.
What this means is, if something drasctic doesn`t change in the budget very soon, No more Mt.Airy DGC for atleast a year and probably more. Baskets, signs and other course materials will be removed and stored until the park reopens sometime in the future.
Please help us spread the word, we will be planning for the worst and hoping for the best.

Last edited:
I hate Cincinnati. Budget problems, and they want install street cars for a city that dies the second the work day ends.

Say it ain't so! :( :( :( :( :thmbdown:

Terrible news, especially for a course that is pay to play and is a major draw for out of town players.

Mt. Airy is not pay to play. It is a free course and one of the finest around. Spread the word to let the city manager and other officials in Cincinnati that this is not okay.

Whoops, for some reason I thought they had a fee. Either way, it's part of the big 3 that people come from all over the country to play.

I wonder who that guy was that Mashnut gave his $20 to then? :D

Bummer news for sure.

If you are local:
From Adam Jones of the GCFDA:
If you or any other disc golf couse users want to speak on the park boards behalf please plan on attending the Public Budget Hearings at Duke Energy Center 6pm on Monday 5/13/13.

Adam Jones and the other Club Officers will be attending to speak on our side of things but please feel free to attend for a show of support.

Now I'm bummed. Awful news.

Just read this on the club website.
I'm speechless.

Well, maybe not. Spending millions and millions on a streetcar nobody will ride, and having it lose money for its entire life-cycle, while closing the parks, is kind of like closing the White House to tours, but still throwing private parties there.

Some of these politicians have got to go.

disclaimer: I'm not a supporter of either party:
Poli=Many + Tics=Blood Suckers!!!

If it weren't for the politicians, the question would be simple: "How much do we need to raise independently to keep the course open?" Unfortunately, to grease the skids would cost ten times the real amount. :thmbdown:

I'm sure some wise politician will say something witty like, "well, if we could have just gotten that last tax raise approved we wouldn't be having this problem."

(being very sarcastic about wise by the way)

Has anyone asked if making Airy pay to play would help?

I'm sure Fred is thinking of fundraiser tourneys as we speak

Since the the decision to close it would be financially motivated, I would think making the course financially self supporting would be favorably looked upon, but you can't expect the city to pay someone collect the pay to play fees if such a deal were adopted. Is it feasible for The Nati to collect pay to play fees and submit them weekly/monthly to the city? :\

Hamilton County Parks charge $3 a day or $10 for the whole year, if/when somebody is manning the entrance booths.
They may not be doing well financially, but you'd think the city could consider this alternative IF the budget announcements aren't just being punitive.:mad:

This does suck, Cincinnati was going to lay off a lot of police and firefighters. They redid their budget to lay off less of them and the parks and other non-essential things have to suffer.
Mt Airy has never been pay to play but I think it's time to make it that way.

Latest posts