• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Vector Midrange

Sounds interesting, I might order one next time I buy discs.

Apoth: Nope, you're the only one that's ever given a shit :p

With your power and affinity for throwing slow and beaded discs, I think you would really like the Vector. I responded on your fwy driver thread before I read this, but I mentioned in that thread that I use my overstable Vectors to help bridge the fwy gap in my bag (I go from mids to PDs). When pushed over 350' a new Vector is a straight to fade disc. So far my most beaten Vector is flying much like a Rancho at the same stage of wear would...It is flying straight without flipping and fading very late.

I'm only throwing 177-178 FR reds.

I saw a nice looking Vector at PIAS when I went OLF shopping. It's green and pretty flat from what I remember. Felt nice in the hand. I might pick it up and try it out, but I've really been enjoying the Rocs I just bought so who knows if I'll bag it.

I've been thinking about adding a more overstable disc to compliment my rocs. I throw various dx rocs in different wear stages, and keep a Kenny glow in the bag for straight shots that I don't want to turn or when I need more fade. I've been thinking about checking out a gator or the vector. Would one of these even be necessary? I loved the ion, but it also couldn't take wizards out of my bag. I've come to the conclusion nothing can. The only reason I ask, is because I feel my Kenny glow covers all my overstable shots fine, and holds hyzers and spike hyzers perfectly. I'm also a mold minimalist so that is why I'm asking this. I currently have eight molds as you can see and could maybe add one more.Especially since I'm considering dropping the surge. I throw 380-400 ft. currently for reference.

throwinrocs said:
I've been thinking about adding a more overstable disc to compliment my rocs. I throw various dx rocs in different wear stages, and keep a Kenny glow in the bag for straight shots that I don't want to turn or when I need more fade. I've been thinking about checking out a gator or the vector. Would one of these even be necessary? I loved the ion, but it also couldn't take wizards out of my bag. I've come to the conclusion nothing can. The only reason I ask, is because I feel my Kenny glow covers all my overstable shots fine, and holds hyzers and spike hyzers perfectly. I'm also a mold minimalist so that is why I'm asking this. I currently have eight molds as you can see and could maybe add one more.Especially since I'm considering dropping the surge. I throw 380-400 ft. currently for reference.

I have some experience with Kenny glow Rocs (I retired mine when Kenny signed it). The Vector has a couple advantages over the Glow Roc. First of all, I never found the Champ Glow Roc to be MUCH more overstable than other Rocs, it's just really flat and fast for a Roc. The Vector is definitely a clear step above the Roc for overstablity. It has the same flight as a Roc, it just has to be thrown harder to see it with a new Vector. So the Vector would provide something clearly more overstable than your Rocs, but it still has some glide and line holding ability that something like a Gator lacks. It also feels much more like your Rocs in the hand. The final advantage that the Vector has over the Kenny glow is obvious...Replaceability.

In terms of minimalism I think that in the scheme of things the Vector fits as a nice bookend to an otherwise all Roc setup, and is cheaper and better as an overstable mid. The shape is quite similar to a Roc in the hand and to me feels more like a Rancho to me than the PLUS mold does.

i, like discspeed, regard the vector as very close to the aftershock in terms of the slot they fill in the bag.

i also agree with what discspeed expressed in his bag thread: that that overstable mid slot is useless.

also: dear mods. please stop deleting my succinct, relevant posts. thank you.

sincerely,

your favorite Apothecary

throwinrocs said:

it seems to me that your minimalist bag doesnt need a vector. your kenny rocs hold their line and have late fade...which is really all you can ask for in a usable overstable mid. youd be better served to learn how to throw your kenny rocs on a better hyzer line instead of adding a mold thats not going to get any use on the links.

Apothecary said:
trolling blather

If you want to start a "Discpeed's philosophy on the overstable mid slot,by Apothecary", and then tell people what I think regardless of what I post myself, then fine. Just keep it off threads about topics people actually care about.

it doesnt take a rocket surgeon to see that sometimes what people post and what they really think or mean arent always the same. sometimes people post things to further their own personal agenda, which it seems to me is exactly what your over-the-top praise for the vector (especially the love for your "beat in" vector), is an attempt to do.

lets call a spade a spade: vectors are decent overstable mids for people with 400'+ of range...if youre into overstable mids. personally, i find them useless. and im not alone. ;)

You never had any problem with my praise for the Ion...because you agree with me. I wasn't praising the Ion because MVP sponsors me, it was because I LOVE playing golf with it. It was and is still my favorite disc. You know all the stuff I've said about the Ion is true because I've seen video of you experiencing the same thing for yourself.

Now I will concede that the most overstable of brand new Vectors, if they stayed that way indefinitely, would probably have little place in my bag personally. Although I use my newish Vector, I could probably fill the gap with something else that I could use for more other things. It was the breaking in of my Vector that changed my mind about the mold. I REALLY am falling in love with my seasoned Vector. As a fellow Ion thrower I know that you, Chris Apothecary, would like the way my seasoned disc flies. I wish I could get you out to the course in person so I could let you throw it (and probably shatter all your preconceived notions of who I am) because I WOULD BET MONEY that you would agree with me. Now that I carry that Vector, which is very useful, it makes carrying the overstable one for situations and to break in make more sense.

Anyway, back to pure Vectorness...
Has anyone else's Vector started breaking in yet? I'm on vacation and I've been playing some courses I don't see very often. Yesterday I played Heritage Park in Adrian, MI. It is pretty open with some shots that play near a river and some nice elevation changes. My seasoned Vector was absolute magic at this course. It was a little windy, but my Vector was slow and steady on whatever line I released it at. It's nice that there was essentially an unlimited ceiling on most the holes, which is a big contrast to the courses I normally play. This allowed me to push my Vector out farther than I usually get to without having to throw it any harder.

Now that I've thrown the Vector for months and in novel conditions I must admit I'm finally starting to see Blake's point that beaded mids are easier to range than beadless ones...The bead on the Vector really seems to mute the turning action as well as help the disc sit once it loses speed when compared to a Buzzz of essentially the same stability. It's not like the Buzzz is hard to range, but the Vector is easier, especially on novel shots. I'm really looking forward to playing some more MI courses with my Vectors.

JR said:
I don't think anything else has happened except the flat Vector flips a little.

Is it flipping and fading, or flipping a little and holding? The one I have only flips a little if pushed 340'+, otherwise it holds the line almost to the ground before it fades. It only S turns with the right height and finesse...or in other words, not very well. I think a domey Vector that was slightly broken in would be the best for S turns.

It is still so close to new that it fades after the flip unless it goes too far anny to recover before hitting the ground and that of course is height and power dependent. When new both of my flat Vectors faded and recovered from mild 8-10' high annies of say less than 3-4 degrees to a maximum of 330' flat or mild s-curve. No real distance difference for me on both lines which is a novelty for me.

JR said:
It is still so close to new that it fades after the flip unless it goes too far anny to recover before hitting the ground and that of course is height and power dependent. When new both of my flat Vectors faded and recovered from mild 8-10' high annies of say less than 3-4 degrees to a maximum of 330' flat or mild s-curve. No real distance difference for me on both lines which is a novelty for me.

I think this is the gyroscopics at work holding the momentum of the release and making the disc push forward as it works. This is a strange characteristic that I've noticed as well. I've practiced with my Vectors on like a 280' shot (short pad for hole #1 at my home course). I'll throw them on spikes, flat hyzers, straight to fade shots, reverse S shots, and pure annies. It seems like I'm giving the Vector pretty much the same power input for each of those lines to go the same distance.

someone brought in a used one a few weeks back and I gave it a few tosses. I am not sure if it was the dome/weight or the used factor, but it flew fairly straight with fade at the end. Didn't act like an overstable mid and was more roc than q-sentinel. What I mean by that is that when I threw the Vectors with flat domes, if the disc didn't get up to speed the stability kicked in hard just like a fresh sanny q-sentinel. This vector has a moderate dome and doesn't seem to be as picky about getting up to speed. Flies straight about 350ft and then tails off. But again I am not sure if this is the dome/weight or because it is used.

zj1002 said:
Yeah I'll probably buy it and try to "discspeed" it

I like that. :lol: "How's that new Teebird flying for you?" asks Sam. Justin replies, "It's just too stable, I think I need to discspeed it into some trees and cement for a while and see if it straightens out".

zj1002 said:
...it flew fairly straight with fade at the end. Didn't act like an overstable mid and was more roc than q-sentinel...

This has been my experience with the Vector. I've only had one, and I felt like it was nearly identical to a Wasp when its calm and shows a bit more stability in the wind. As for the amount of dome it has I'm unsure since I've never had another Vector to compare it to. Its definitely not flat, but it doesn't seem to have any more dome than a typical Buzzz/Wasp that I've seen. Far less than my new ESP Comets.