• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

How do you guys know what it will fly like? :confused:

Educated guesses based on the shape of the disc, the description provided by the manufacturer, and past performance of MVP discs. No one is claiming to know how it's ultimately going to fly though.

I saw the banner up there and pooed myself!
icon_lol.gif

Skimming through this and the MVP thread I didn't see this question anywhere,
Is the overmold on the volt made from the same material as MVP's current discs?

I don't see why this would even be a question. Ofc its the same plastic.

Maybe because a putter is designed to grab chains while something like a driver with its sharper edge and nose angle sensitivity should be more durable to keep a more consistent flight?
It would make sense to at least use a higher durometer material.

Maybe because a putter is designed to grab chains while something like a driver with its sharper edge and nose angle sensitivity should be more durable to keep a more consistent flight?

Are the overmolds on the Axis and Vector not durable enough? That's still the same material as on their putters. MVP isn't a company to change things up like that IMO. What's one of the big things they pride themselves on? Consistency.

Maybe consistency between runs, but current Ions fly nothing like old ones, etc.

You have no insider knowledge about MVP. They could easily make a firmer overmold for a driver, which would be completely logical to me.

Maybe consistency between runs, but current Ions fly nothing like old ones, etc.

You have no insider knowledge about MVP.
They could easily make a firmer overmold for a driver, which would be completely logical to me.

What makes you think that? The early Ions weren't exactly what they were looking for, which lead to them getting retooled and reseating the overmold. The overmold on the Axis and Vector are plenty strong/firm for a driver.

between runs yes and the ion was their first disc lots of lessons were learned from that disc and we all got to witness that, but since then an ion is an ion axis is an axis etc. slight differences between protron and eclipse but again very slight.
it takes a lot of time and research into building a new mold and coming up with a new blend. I am sure that the overmold will probably be the same. It would just add a ton of extra time and money etc to make a new overmold. my .02

I'm thinking the new core plastic will be stiffer than the current offerings. As for the overmold, I think there are a lot of variables involved. The overmold of the Volt could be weighted more or less than the other MVP discs depending on what the cores weigh by themselves.

You have no insider knowledge about MVP.

This does get a little old, crossing far beyond fanboi status. Couldn't help but notice that UPS even went so far as to post his version of the Volt announcement on MVP's facebook page before they did...wow. Bit overreaching there, dontchathink? Ahh.....the exuberance of youth. :|

The overmold material is plenty durable, imo, both in demonstrated experience thus far as well as in comparison to other plastics used in premium solid-material discs...currently, it's definitely not soft enough to be grabby on anything. I don't buy into "chain grabbing" anyway, and I think it's been shown that tackiness of material is of minimal to no importance when compared with placement on the target. Looking at the profile, it's neither too wide on the wing nor too thin at the nose for me to think there will be any durability issues. I did wonder about that some time back while we were all speculating as to how/if they could produce a driver with their co-molding technology. The thing is, unless my memory is failing me, higher durometer materials are also more dense, which appears to be an issue with their designs when it comes to achieving target weight. Maybe MVP will chime in on this, but I really do wonder if weight concerns in a driver design are what drove the introduction of Neutron plastic. The flip side approach would be a lighter/softer/less durable overmold material, which would be a negative double whammy for their hallmark gyro benefits.

Last edited:
This does get a little old, crossing far beyond fanboi status. Couldn't help but notice that UPS even went so far as to post his version of the Volt announcement on MVP's facebook page before they did...wow. Bit overreaching there, dontchathink? Ahh.....the exuberance of youth. :|

You going after me or him there? I posted it on the MyThrow page as one of the growing DG media outlets for the Twin Cities should/would, and just so happened to tag MVP in it so that people that 'like' MVP and not MyThrow will still be able to see the news and that we will be doing some rigorous testing of these.

I heard Obama was pushing production of the Volt by giving people who bought one tax breaks.

I don't think Neutron was made due to a weight issue as the idea was hatched long ago (and was a major reason they quit making opaque Ions). Also, the MVP website says that all their models will soon be available in Neutron plastic.

Who cares if mr. puppyslayer wants to promote MVP discs. I believe he is a tester an happens to like MVP stuff.