• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] My endless quest for a driving putter

Throwing putters

I love throwing putters,
Fluid Warden, straight even with a little wind and it is long.
Fluid judge for left at end.
PA1 in wind or when I need a hard left.
Harp X2 medium for drives little less fade to left than PA1, and soft for upshots, flick has slight turn.
Proxy straight slight turn flies like Warden.
Spike understable for right turning shots.
Suspect putt/mid slightly longer harp.
I putt with shields(x2) and love throwing them but am saving them for putting only.
Trilogy needs to wake up and make fluidfrostsnow versions of all their discs. I have a fluid Harp fantasy.

WOW, i wrote my response before really reading anything else, a lot of Envy votes. I also will say the RDG SERPENT is a great disc. I say it's 2/2/0/1 but beats into 2/2/0/0 . Though it is a slow glideless disc you can get it our really good while knowing it will settle down and be in putting range.

Same goes for the Scale 2/2/0/3 or Element Iridium 2/2/0/3 They all share the same top nice rounded with small thumbtrack, really great for throws.

I use the RDG/Iridium when i dont want to go TOO FAR and the Atom/Envy etc for longer approaches or short mid shots

To me the best :driving putters" are the ones I use, haha SERPENT-straight/slower, IRIDIUM-overstable-slower. /// PA4-understable Electron ATOM-Slightly understable, proton ATOM-stable, ENVY-slightly overstable, HARP-overstable, A1-BEEF

I should give a shot out to my personal straight driving putter, the Polecat. It is beadless.

I can get about the same distance from a Polecat as a Serpent and both are decent bit shorter then an Envy. The Polecat is more likely to show form flaws though.

I don't want to highjack this thread, but maybe someone could quickly give me some hints: I'm wondering why the Zone was not mentioned. Is this because it is not considered a putter, or because it's too overstable for the usecase, or because it is just one of another dozen appropriate discs, ...? There are already a lot of good recommendations; I don't want to add another. I only would like to understand how the Zone relates to them.

My full power driving putter is an SP or Pro line DGA Breaker. I strong arm them on low lines where any amount of turn would put it in the ground. I prefer discing down and powering up, than soft touch shots. Has a bead but is so shallow, its less noticeable then the lip of an Envy.

I don't want to highjack this thread, but maybe someone could quickly give me some hints: I'm wondering why the Zone was not mentioned. Is this because it is not considered a putter, or because it's too overstable for the usecase, or because it is just one of another dozen appropriate discs, ...? There are already a lot of good recommendations; I don't want to add another. I only would like to understand how the Zone relates to them.

He already bags a Harp and a Pig...Zone would be overlap, and they are looking for something less beefy.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117016

The Zone is too OS for what the OP is looking for. In general the Zone is a highly recommended disc, just not for the OP's criteria.

I pair an Ultrium Jokeri with an opto and a zero pure. It covers everything I need. The Jokeri's fade isn't too strong but they are high speed stable. It is less overstable than a Harp in my opinion and a fun disc to throw

It is IMO as well but you can have a proxy with a seasoned envy. Cant make a proxy any more OS. Envy will last much longer vs a proxy. I love the proxy mold but i will just be throwing ions next season. I have OS, straight and US electron. Same can be done with envy/atom.

If you want to keep your ace count low, go ahead and bench Proxies. More 1s for me!!

My full power driving putter is an SP or Pro line DGA Breaker. I strong arm them on low lines where any amount of turn would put it in the ground. I prefer discing down and powering up, than soft touch shots. Has a bead but is so shallow, its less noticeable then the lip of an Envy.

I have an SP Breaker that a friend of mine gave me early on in my DG days. I liked it a lot but got a Harp because everyone raved about them. I throw them both the way you throw yours, but the Harp gives me just a bit more distance. I still have the Breaker and occasionally put it in the bag for windy days. Good disc!

I use a Star Stud as my driving putter. However, as an alternative, why not just move up to a midrange instead of mashing your driving putter?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Aviar3 sounds like money!

If you can get past the bead try the Breaker. This is one of the most reliable discs I have thrown. It's more of a tweener than a putter but it's low profile is great for sidearms and wind resistance.

I just want to chime in and say that the Envy is one of the very few discs I don't like throwing forehand. Mine is proton and the bead makes for one of the most uncomfortable forehand grips in my opinion.

Flies great, and probably the flight behavior the OP is looking for... I'm just not sure I agree it's good for forehand...

I don't mean to thread jack but I bag a Wizard /Rhyno for many years. Been wanting to try something different after reading this thread would a Scale /Proxy be about the same setup in flight?

Latest posts