• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My PIAS is a rip off and a half

the play it again sports in crossroads cary is a big rip off, the one in raleigh is so much better and the guys are nicer. the dude in cary always gives me this long story of how he used to be pro and junk. his used disc selection and prices are never that great. and the last time i went almost the entire disc selection was innova xouts and nothing else. weird.

BOYCOTT PIAS!!

Anyone who sells other people's lost (or creek/lake) discs should be hung!*

*= Just my personal feeling about the P.O.S. PIAS that used to be in my town.

So PIA, or anyone else, should pay to return the disc you lost?

Take it how you want. I just don't agree with PIAS buying a stack of discs from some creek rat who shows up in their store with 10 discs with different names and none of the names match his ID.

I've always been a firm believer in returning discs that are found in the creek or lake with someone's name/number on them. They're not anyone else's to sell.

I think anyone who shops for discs in a store already expects to pay too much.

Yep. If I go to Dicks or MC Sports, Im not going for the bargain. Its more about getting the disc in my hand and seeing it or, getting it right now and not waiting for shipping.

I just wish there was an actual PIAS so I could go look at some used discs.

Take it how you want. I just don't agree with PIAS buying a stack of discs from some creek rat who shows up in their store with 10 discs with different names and none of the names match his ID.

I've always been a firm believer in returning discs that are found in the creek or lake with someone's name/number on them. They're not anyone else's to sell.

Are you willing to pay the person who went diving and found your disc?

I'll wonder if PIAS is bound by the same "stolen" property rules that pawn shops are.

If you see a disc on the shelf with your name and number on it, are they required to return it?

Just wondering?

I'll wonder if PIAS is bound by the same "stolen" property rules that pawn shops are.

If you see a disc on the shelf with your name and number on it, are they required to return it?

Just wondering?

I can't remember where I read it (I think in the 'check it out bought at PIAS' thread) that someone found their plastic at a PIAS and threatened to call the cops or something, and got it back. although i might be making this up

I've called a number on a disc from inside a PIAS and asked the guy if I could buy his disc.
He said "Yes... I didn't like that disc anyway."

I usually call to see if they're the person who sold it to PIAS... if they are great... if they aren't then they now know where to go to get it... or in my case they'll give you permission to buy it.

Don't want any bad ju-ju on a disc.
DSCJNKY

Are you willing to pay the person who went diving and found your disc?

Not for the situation here. The creek that flows through our course is mostly goverened by pumps in a few playa lakes. When the pumps are going full-on, the creek is deep and murky, and generally unsafe to enter. When the pumps ease up, the creek bottom is visible again and wet discs can easily be retrieved. The drawback is it could take weeks for the pumps to slow so some impatient people will walk into the creek searching for their disc. Most of us who pull discs out of the creek (I've been fishing discs out since 1988) will get them back to their owner, because we would like them to do the same for us.

It really chaps my a$$ to see someone pull a disc out of the murky water and have no intention of returning it. I've found & returned hundreds and have never charged anyone for the favor.

Yeah thats a joke....the one I go to doesn't even try stuff like that heh. I don't think ive ever seen a bad deal.

Only used disc I've ever found at my local one was a DX Eagle for 7 dollars.

All the new discs are very overpriced and for some reason they don't have a set price for one type of plastic. Looks like they just guessed a price for everything lol.

^ I have also seen alot of people walk away and say oh well, guess that one is gone. If some one is willing to freeze their nuts off in 40 degree water to get their disc adn find some more. I say they are welcome to it. Do ball golfers write their name on the ProV1x and demand someone gives it back when they shank it in the pond? I know those are only like 5 bucks a piece, but so are alot of the discs at PIAS on here.

Seriously, unless it is beat into a sweet spot, if I can go to my local shop and pick up a new one. I'll leave my disc after 5 minutes of looking. I'm changing my entire bag to DX for the winter.

the play it again sports in crossroads cary is a big rip off, the one in raleigh is so much better and the guys are nicer. the dude in cary always gives me this long story of how he used to be pro and junk. his used disc selection and prices are never that great. and the last time i went almost the entire disc selection was innova xouts and nothing else. weird.
For whatever reason, they fixed that. now they sell discraft, millenium, and some gateway as well as innova for stupid high prices...

yeah the crossroads is not a good one ....very little used and lots of x-outs.....i went to the one in Raleigh and they had alot of used discs but they were all really beat.....and i think some of the guys that work there take the good discs before going on the shelf.....has anyone been to the winston salem one....?

or the Durham one? That's a bit closer than winston salem...maybe I'll stop by after a round at UNC....but, I'm thinking Buckhorn for tommorow...hmmm....where to go...

or the Durham one? That's a bit closer than winston salem...maybe I'll stop by after a round at UNC....but, I'm thinking Buckhorn for tommorow...hmmm....where to go...

I do love Buckhorn! And I recently came across some nice coupons for the PIAS in Durham, they are for 5 bucks off any purchase, so that's a sweet discount on a disc.

yeah the crossroads is not a good one ....very little used and lots of x-outs.....i went to the one in Raleigh and they had alot of used discs but they were all really beat.....and i think some of the guys that work there take the good discs before going on the shelf.....has anyone been to the winston salem one....?

I totally agree with you about some of the guys taking the good used ones! I hear some of the guys there were/are pretty good players.

When I was there (up until May 09) the Raleigh store on Glenwood was THE place. That shop has more discs than some pro shops I've been to. I got a 9.9/10 condition star leopard there for $11 - literally the disc was just dirty, not "used".

I'll second (third? fourth? hundredth?) the Crossroads one being a POS. I went in there a handful of times to browse the used discs - most of the time so much random **** was on the floor I couldn't get to the basket full of worthless beat up lightning discs anyway.

PIAS is expensive in general though. If I were you I'd go in just to feel a disc in your hands, see if you like it, then buy it online - unless it's a putter.