• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nate Sexton boycotting DGPT?

Didn't mean to suggest this was your stance, but it is one that is out there (see Brockness's post as an example).

Guess I'm just as baffled that commentary is that much of a factor. I mean, I don't like Joe Buck but I still watched the World Series last fall because I like to watch baseball (and I'm a Red Sox fan). It doesn't matter to me who the commentators are as long as I get to see the action on the course. I watched the DGLO to see McBeth shred the course. I couldn't have cared less who was commenting on it.

For me, free time is short and the commentary and production values add more to my enjoyment than the names on the card. I get your point of view, though.

However, I am confident that the template is so established by now that DGPT will be able to copy the formula without much problem, but if they don't, they will be last on my watch list. If I have time, great, but there are only so many hours of disc golf I can watch in any given week. With the expansion of coverage the last couple of years, I am not able to keep up as it is.

That's the point right. Dodge and the Pro tour will instantly lose viewership before they gain it back. This whole fiasco has not sat well with fans and players alike, and when the players (obviously not all of them) are not happy with a decision you know something is wrong. So my statement holds true that I will not be watching DGPT coverage unless it comes from Jomez or CCDG.

Fiasco seems an exaggeration to me. It's a business decision. Calling it a fiasco before seeing a second of coverage seems premature to me. Fine, you like the quality of Jomez and CCDG (I do too) and expect a drop-off with the new coverage plan, at least initially (me too). That's reasonable. Saying you refuse to watch it at all seems a bit stubborn and overblown, though.

I'd understand upset over this if the DGPT was moving their content to a platform that charged a premium or was unavailable to certain markets (like, say, the NFL putting games on NFL Network when a bunch of cable providers didn't offer it). But they're just changing channels (the equivalent of the NFL going from CBS to FOX back in the 90s). People watching on Youtube are still going to be able to find it if they want it, so I really don't think the viewership is going to dip that significantly, even right out of the gate. People who want to watch the Memorial are going to find it whether it's on Jomez, CCDG, Smashboxx, DGPT, or some brand new channel we've never heard of.

For me, free time is short and the commentary and production values add more to my enjoyment than the names on the card. I get your point of view, though.

However, I am confident that the template is so established by now that DGPT will be able to copy the formula without much problem, but if they don't, they will be last on my watch list. If I have time, great, but there are only so many hours of disc golf I can watch in any given week. With the expansion of coverage the last couple of years, I am not able to keep up as it is.

Neither CCDG nor Jomez created the format. It was around long before them...actually none of them were born when the format was created.

Fiasco seems an exaggeration to me. It's a business decision. Calling it a fiasco before seeing a second of coverage seems premature to me. Fine, you like the quality of Jomez and CCDG (I do too) and expect a drop-off with the new coverage plan, at least initially (me too). That's reasonable. Saying you refuse to watch it at all seems a bit stubborn and overblown, though.

Time will tell. I don't mind being wrong, as long as the result benefits everyone.

He stated clearly that "This is not a boycott", yet you title your thread 'Nate Sexton boycotting DGPT?' Why turn this into some kind of battle to take sides on? Seems like you did all the guessing.

Nate posted his full explanation after Eman made this thread. Nate's original post just said he wouldn't be playing DGPT events and more to come later.

Thanks, I thought it was a reasonable assumption the reason the most well known jomez/ccdg commentator was skipping the DGPT. I understand his non disc golf commitments, but am guessing he is still trying to show allegiance to the guys that have him a platform to star on.

I rarely watch dg tourney coverage if it doesn't include "high profile" (LOL) names.

I want to see the best of the best or close to it on a card, not just some good players. That's just my preference.

So a couple of years ago I really enjoyed the off/early season coverage of Nikko's events. Was that Par Save Productions? I enjoyed them much more than the Jomez and CCDG coverage of other random (to me) players.

And finally. I really dislike random card coverage of 5 player groups. Maybe it's just my attention span, or lack there of, but I just can't handle it.

And now back to your regularly scheduled program. :D

Some people feel oddly strongly about this. But to each their own.

For me, I will give DGPT coverage a chance. Just like I did with two new channels lately (Teetime and Gatekeeper). If they have good videography, decent enough graphics, and commentary that is not annoying, I will likely keep following them. If they fail the aforementioned and the card is not stacked with my favorites or top 10 players... Odds are that there are other DG media to digest to hold me over. 2019 looks better than ever. 1 week to go!!

To those still speculating on the boycott, Nate's one of the most genuine guys on tour, he's got a growing kid and family responsibilities at home, get off it already.

I'm hoping DGPT will put out quality content, at this point I really can't see them putting out something sub par since the standard for lead card major event coverage has been set by CCDG and Jomez. My biggest concern with them is commentary, but even in the event commentary sucks I can just turn it down really low and still watch the play.

Thanks, I thought it was a reasonable assumption the reason the most well known jomez/ccdg commentator was skipping the DGPT. I understand his non disc golf commitments, but am guessing he is still trying to show allegiance to the guys that have him a platform to star on.

It's arguable DGPT gave Nate just as big a platform to "star on" by organizing a tour of elite level events for him to play well in, such that his profile was high enough for content producers to desire his commentary in the first place.

I'm more inclined to believe that it has nothing to do with allegiances and loyalties and everything to do with simple business-minded prioritizing. It makes perfect sense that if he has a limited number of tournaments he can play that he would choose to play where he could simultaneously supplement his earnings with commentary. But that doesn't have to be viewed as any sort of statement against the DGPT.

Is it disappointing that Jomez won't be covering DGPT tournaments? Sure. Is it the end of the world? No. Boycotting is dumb, whether it's viewers or players (to be clear, I'm quite certain Sexton is not boycotting anything). It's like boycotting the NBA if they moved their national broadcast from ABC to CBS. Maybe ABC did a great job, but in the end, are you watching to hear Mike Breen and Jeff Van Gundy call the game or to watch Lebron and Steph and Harden play the game?

I sure as heck boycotted Monday night football this past season. I could not make it 10 minutes listening to the booth of Joe Tessitore and Jason Witten.

It looks like Nate was going to back off a bit from the number of tournaments that he would play. I don't think he's making that part up, he'll sty home more and his wife will work more this year.

So, if you're Nate and you are going to cut out some of the tournaments you're gonna play, DGPT events are probably at the top of that cut list. It probably made it an easy decision as to which ones to take out.

It's arguable DGPT gave Nate just as big a platform to "star on" by organizing a tour of elite level events for him to play well in, such that his profile was high enough for content producers to desire his commentary in the first place.

I'm more inclined to believe that it has nothing to do with allegiances and loyalties and everything to do with simple business-minded prioritizing. It makes perfect sense that if he has a limited number of tournaments he can play that he would choose to play where he could simultaneously supplement his earnings with commentary. But that doesn't have to be viewed as any sort of statement against the DGPT.

Yet, he flat out states he does not like DGPT's decision. He was not ambiguous about it. He was also quite frank about stating his loyalties and bias.

Anyway, I don't want to be seen as anti-DGPT, because I am not. Plenty of eyeballs for all and competition is a good thing for the consumer. I always find it interesting how one statement can elicit so many interpretations.

I sure as heck boycotted Monday night football this past season. I could not make it 10 minutes listening to the booth of Joe Tessitore and Jason Witten.

Perhaps you jest, but this is exactly what I will never understand. You have zero skin in the game. Why would I EVER intentionally withhold something I like from myself, to seemingly punish someone, who will never be impacted by my decision? Dang, I know enough about football....turn off the sound and put on some tunes.

To me, commentary is just as important, if not more, than the game itself. Watching a game with no commentary is like watching a movie with no soundtrack.....something is just missing, and if the soundtrack is terrible it ruins the experience.

To me, commentary is just as important, if not more, than the game itself. Watching a game with no commentary is like watching a movie with no soundtrack.....something is just missing, and if the soundtrack is terrible it ruins the experience.

Never watched a game in a bar, huh? :)