• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

NEW Disc Golf Channel - Justin Dubé

Which disc golf bag do you like the best?

• Total voters
Your scale appears to be sitting on an irregular cloth surface. Could that compromise repeatability?

It makes the scale less precise. I worked as a lab tech for a plant biochem lab while in undergrad and part of my job included making sure the scales and other equipment was calibrated.

Basically, any scale that is not on a level surface that hasn't been on for a few minutes in a temperature stable environment will be off. It might not be by much, but it will be off. Some of the more sensitive equipment (talking scales costing as much as used cars) would register a false report just by having a hand on their table.

My procedure for calibrating went something like: 1) ensuring a level surface; 2) ensuring the scale was on for a few minutes; 3) calibrating; 4) ensuring there were no fans or other sources of air movement nearby; 5) calibrate again; 6) measure whatever needed to be measured.

Most of these cheaper scales usually have an margin of error of a gram to a milligram for a better one. Without proper calibration and set up, you'll likely be off by whatever the margin is or more. Most good scales will even let you know how heavy of a weigh boat to use. Without a perfectly flat and level surface, you'll likely get a little off too.

This is just a little bit of useless information I've acquired that has only ever now been useful when people want to weigh discs. But in the video posted, the most concerning thing is really that he's using an object bigger than the weighing platform to rest the discs on. Without placing the object to where the weight is focused in the center of the platform, you're going to be off a little.

Scales are fun!

I wonder if it's a mental thing when a person will only throw a 171g Destroyer. They have confidence that they can throw that weight disc and don't believe they will throw a 170 or 172 well.
It does not matter that their 171g disc doesn't actually weigh 171 grams. If the numbers "171" are written in black ink on the bottom then they feel they will throw it better.

I firmly believe this game is played more between the ears, than it is on the fairway. Given how hard it can be to unthink something, some things are better not thought about in the first place.

I wonder if it's a mental thing when a person will only throw a 171g Destroyer. They have confidence that they can throw that weight disc and don't believe they will throw a 170 or 172 well.

I think this is entirely it. I know I get stigmas going toward certain discs based on color or plastic type even though I suck regardless of what I throw.

My procedure for calibrating went something like: 1) ensuring a level surface; 2) ensuring the scale was on for a few minutes; 3) calibrating; 4) ensuring there were no fans or other sources of air movement nearby; 5) calibrate again; 6) measure whatever needed to be measured.

I never did weights but I did do pressure recorders. I wanted to see a zero repeat three times before the cal and at least once after.

We're talking about throwing frisbees in the woods. 1g isn't gonna make a noticeable difference, except between your ears. Your solid first tree hit is going to make a bigger difference in flight than 1 gram of mass.

I'd say 4-5 makes a noticeable difference, but you don't need a scale calibrated to 0.1g to weigh freaking frisbees.

Yep. I agree with 4 or 5 grams being the noticeable point. Its about a 3% difference, so there probably would be a small change in flight characteristics.

I used to try to get all my main drivers at right around 167 grams. After awhile it became almost impossible to find them in that weight so I had to buy them in the 170's. Turns out I can throw those just fine. I agree with Bogues that it's a mental thing.

Plus it's SO much easier finding what you want closer to max weight.

Salut/Bonjour!

If anyone is looking for a new backpack, I have 3 bag reviews I strongly recommend you check out (links below). Started a disc golf channel and feel I have a lot to offer the public. If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know! And like/subscribe to inspire me to create new content. Disc golf is a great game and I'm hoping to become an informative channel to promote and help inform communities.

Grip Ax4 review - https://youtu.be/np0OK1Rgass
Athletico Power Shot - https://youtu.be/kISIUM6LoDY
Dynamic Disc Trooper - https://youtu.be/nKEIPgQAdmk

P.s I'm not sponsored by any of these companies

In the Grip video:
"You'd think the zipper would be like a premium zipper, it's just a regular bag zipper, definitely going to break."
You lost me right there man. That's a very bold and unfair statement to make and it showed to me that you had buyers remorse and where looking to throw punches where ever you could think to.
I appreciate the time you put into trying to help others, but if you are open for criticism I would recommend you strive for a bit more of an objective approach unless your goal is to score views by causing drama.

Don't get me wrong: I definitely get more distance* throwing drivers in the upper 165-169 the 170-174, and further still in the low 160's and more yet in the 150's... hence I bag a lot of lightweight discs.

I have a range of weights to address a variety of conditions, and don't get hung up on a disc being 166 vs 164.

* assuming calm winds

Plus it's SO much easier finding what you want closer to max weight.
As someone who prefers lighter weight drivers, I have to agree with this. Much easier to find most molds/plastics in the 170-175 range (or higher for larger diameter discs).

Last edited:
Just remember grams is a measurement of mass, not weight. Your gravity may vary.

100% correct. The primary reason you can throw farther from a hilltop is because gravity is reduced at higher elevation. :|

:rolleyes:

The radius of the earth is approx 21 million feet. Climbing Mt. Everest would make about a 1-2 oz difference in your weight. Measurable, but not noticeable. We're talking about a difference of less than 0.1 % for 29,000 ft of elevation change.

Chances are whatever course you're playing doesn't have 29,000 feet of elevation change.

If you think I'm a humorless bastard, you're right. The avatar wasn't some random selection.

That's ok, you are entitled to your opinion. Yes I had buyers remorse because I wore the bag for over a month, and more problems were showing up. I began to regret paying over 300$ for this backpack. The straps being uneven, the straps tearing, the strap ties becoming extremely annoying, the putter pocket not staying up, the bottle holders getting in the way while putting on the backpack and bumping my elbow, were all reasons why I felt the need for this review. I understand your remark about the complaint about the zippers, but they truly didn't feel as great as they should.

I review products to help the consumers. And when a 50$ bag can compete with what a 300$ bag can do, I feel the need to speak up.

That's ok, you are entitled to your opinion. Yes I had buyers remorse because I wore the bag for over a month, and more problems were showing up. I began to regret paying over 300$ for this backpack. The straps being uneven, the straps tearing, the strap ties becoming extremely annoying, the putter pocket not staying up, the bottle holders getting in the way while putting on the backpack and bumping my elbow, were all reasons why I felt the need for this review. I understand your remark about the complaint about the zippers, but they truly didn't feel as great as they should.

I review products to help the consumers. And when a 50$ bag can compete with what a 300$ bag can do, I feel the need to speak up.

Ive been carrying an AX4 for 5 years now, I have none of the issues that you do. Straps are never uneven, no signs anywhere of tears in the straps or even the stitching. Not sure how the strap ties can be annoying but alright. My putter pocket has been raised since day 1 and I havent touched it since, it has never not stayed up. Not sure how the bottle holders get in the way but alright.

Maybe you have a newer version of the AX4 and quality went dow. All the ones that have passed thru my hands over the years have looked to be the same great quality that Grip is known for. But everyone has opinions

Disc Golf VS Regular Golf - 5 reasons why I switched to Disc Golf

https://youtu.be/GUY-eka59-w

I used to play Regular Golf religiously. I played it 3-4 times a week and couldn't get enough. It's always been a game I truly love... But over the last 5 years, things have slowly changed, and my passion for golf shifted to disc golf (something I've always played as my "secondly sport"). Now disc golf is all I play, and I've had some time to reflect as to why I've made such a drastic change. Here are 5 reasons why I switched to playing Disc Golf more consistently. I'm sure a lot of you would agree!:)

Reasons why:
1- Cost
2- Time Commitment
3- Flight of Object
4- Beginners Ease
5- Level of enjoyment

yah...going to be that guy.... this is your 5th thread promoting your channel. Why not just make one thread and add links to your new content as it's added there? It will be much easier for your fans here on the forum to see all of your content in one place.

I play both and really enjoy both. Disc golf is my passion, golf is my hobby. Outside of name, basic concept and some rules, they games are not really, very much alike.

I honestly find the attempt to compare them futile and a bit frustrating. Some would like to make disc golf more like golf and that is my frustration. I don't wish disc golf to be anything like golf.

Latest posts