• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] One-brand bags?

I think the main thing for me though, which no one has mentioned yet, is the idea of finding a new perspective. Each disc company designs its lineup of discs in a certain way to cover each part of the fairway or each type of disc/shot in a slightly different way. So the shot you might use a speed 7 fairway for in one manufacturer, you might be forced to use a speed 9 fairway for in another. It forces you to think about what you throw for different types of shots in a different way, which I think is an interesting exercise and often one that ends up changing how I do things in my main bag for the better.

When people are filling out one-brand bags and looking for replacements for key discs from their main bag, the advice I always give is not to look for a 1-to-1 comparison. Every mold is different, none will fly exactly the same as another.

It's always fun to find new ways to cover the full spectrum of shots needed.

Of course, it was this kind of attitude that got me banned from the Lat/WS/DD FB Group....

All Innova for me. I try to keep the number of molds to a minimum and even Innova gives me too many choices. In the last year I've added the Tern, Mako and Star Whippet to the bag and only taken out the Gator. Go figure.

I decided to go with Vibram and MVP discs for my bag.
It happened that I tried MVP's Axis and Anode and thought it would great to fill out the bag with the rest. Then the Shock-Volt-Amp trio didn't work out so well so I tried Vibram's Trak, Ascent and UnLace, and those did. Still, I am anxious to see how the Servo works out.

One benefit of picking those two companies is that it forces me to focus on just those discs and learn them. Also keeps me from buying this, that, and the next disc that comes out. That said I would like to give a go at Discraft's mids in Z plastic (still resisting).

Ive thrown many brands (Innova,DC,DD,LAt64,Gateway) but Always come back to INNOVA and the ROC.. I do putt with Challengers. But, other than that.. Rhyno,Roc,Firechicken,Destroyer... Nobody can touch those discs. Seriously NOBODY. Just not going to happen.

the red is me...with innova..i will allow my self to only throw innova or the companies related to them

I started 100% Innova and am still 80% after two years but I always borrow a different manufacturer disc from one of the guys in my group each round that I play. I will remove the Innova disc closest to the one I borrow so I'm sure to throw the rental.

This is how I ended up with 20% 'other' in my bag. Certian discs were impossible to resist, even if they didn't replace one of my Innovas. ESP Wasp being a prime example... I've never seen anything else fly 250' straight then fade hard and drop like a rock without any skip always landing inside of 280'. I love the way people who don't know it think I've overshot the hole by 50+' when it's still flying straight just to see their smirk dissapear in the last 30'.

I found the Anode and it became that go-to putter I'd been looking for. Then I got my first ace with an Axis. I started trying all their molds and they're almost all money for me.

The Anode, Axis, Tensor, Volt, Amp are my main stays from MVP. I also rock a lot of their other discs but these were game changers for me.

I also love the Avengers from Discraft. I've got 2 z-line and an SS.

I love understable fairways from Lat64 because of how easy they are to flip and the glide. The fury, fuse, and a beat Saint are my understable stuff along with the Ass.

For my distance drivers I've pretty much gone Innova Star Plastic. The Wraith and Tern for that. I've also got a Crank on the way and going to see what that does.

So, to sum up.

I like all MVP.
I like understable Lat64.
I like z-line Avengers.
I like Innova drivers in Star plastic.

I throw Innova and a single Discraft mold - the Comet. And I could easily drop the Comet and go all Innova (replacing it with Rocs).

I grew up with Innova, and so I'm an admitted fanboy and biased there. I really didn't get exposed to other manufacturers (sans Discraft) until I found DGCR last year, so you've got that going.

But why haven't I looked at more Discraft discs? I think a poster in the current thread over in General Chat said it best that their flight ratings system is terrible, telling my almost nothing about how a disc flies (other than where it could land if thrown flat). For all I know, a Nuke could fly dead-right in its high speed portion of flight but have little/no fade. We all know that's not correct, but there's no clarity in Discraft's flight chart to explain that.

With Innova being my first disc manufacturer that my first discs were from, it has also become my standard bearer from which everything else is measured. This is why we see so many Teebird-equivelent threads. People are also looking for something better than their current standard.

I also like the simplicity of having a single manufacturer, particularly with as few molds as possible - pick distance/line, pick stability, throw. I think that manufacturer's discs work to complement each other, and so combining the two causes consternation over which disc to throw, as I can pick a seasoned Roc or X Comet and get them to do almost the exact same thing (Comet would likely just out-glide the Roc).

with so much tasty plastic being released its just cra-cra to reduce oneself to commit to one company unless being sponsored by said company.

I throw Innova and a single Discraft mold - the Comet. And I could easily drop the Comet and go all Innova (replacing it with Rocs).

I grew up with Innova, and so I'm an admitted fanboy and biased there. I really didn't get exposed to other manufacturers (sans Discraft) until I found DGCR last year, so you've got that going.

But why haven't I looked at more Discraft discs? I think a poster in the current thread over in General Chat said it best that their flight ratings system is terrible, telling my almost nothing about how a disc flies (other than where it could land if thrown flat). For all I know, a Nuke could fly dead-right in its high speed portion of flight but have little/no fade. We all know that's not correct, but there's no clarity in Discraft's flight chart to explain that.

With Innova being my first disc manufacturer that my first discs were from, it has also become my standard bearer from which everything else is measured. This is why we see so many Teebird-equivelent threads. People are also looking for something better than their current standard.

I also like the simplicity of having a single manufacturer, particularly with as few molds as possible - pick distance/line, pick stability, throw. I think that manufacturer's discs work to complement each other, and so combining the two causes consternation over which disc to throw, as I can pick a seasoned Roc or X Comet and get them to do almost the exact same thing (Comet would likely just out-glide the Roc).

All of this for me too. Well said. I've tried other manufacturer's discs but the local availability of Innova molds, especially in DX (Aviars, Rocs, Teebirds) is hard to beat. I believe in also using easily replaceable discs so I try (so far succeeding) in not throwing OOP stuff.

Few months ago I thought I'll go with a Discmania minimalist bag next summer. They have a great spirit in their doing, nice videos, not so many discs, Finnish company (I'm Finnish too), I just liked it.

Then came Discraft. When I started disc golf I heard about Discraft and saw their discs in online store but hated them because I couldn't see the same flight ratings as I would for Innova/other discs. Now two months ago I read more about Discraft discs and Buzzz and saw how popular disc it is and explored more of their discs. I started to like their company too and even had a full Discraft bag planned for summer instead of Discmania bag. But I've never liked base plastic and of Discraft's putters they got only Challenger in premium plastic.

Month ago I found out that MVP's premium plastic putters are great for putting and driving too, and bought 4 Anodes. I like them a lot. So now after that nice experience and hearing great things about all of their discs I'm planning to go full MVP. I think I've finally found the right company for me.

MVP has:
- Premium plastic for putters
- Gyro = Something new and different
- Well-flying discs, forward penetrating fade.
- Best looking discs ever
- Excellent customer service
- Awesome website
- Not too many discs, concentrating on quality and consistency
- Consistency and quality
- Discs with good feel (rounded inside edge for example)

When I stick to one company, I will force myself to not try random discs out there and concentrate on those few discs I have from that one company and learn them. I'm still a beginner but when I start to play and practice as soon as possible with same discs and play with them for years I will master them soon and be very confident throwing them. Less money spent, more skill acquired.

Sponsored Pros

Is anyone influenced by the pro players that each company sponsors? Obviously feel of plastic and the practicality of certain molds for certain people is important, but when I started getting serious about things, I was watching a lot of videos of Professional tournaments. I saw some interviews with Nate Doss, watched him play, and grew to admire his style. Once I knew that I liked Doss, I wanted to know what he throws and things like that. Now I'm pretty hooked on Discraft (although I try to stray from them. But after reading this I may just go all DC!).

Now, there are definitely other pros that I like to watch and admire (MJ, McBeast, Feldy, Schusterick, Philo, Barry Schultz, etc.), but there's just something about Nate Doss that separates him. I guess it's just like any sports marketing campaign where they use a pro athlete to get you to buy their products. I was just surprised no one mentioned it!

I totally agree with the OCD symmetry thing as well!

Is anyone influenced by the pro players that each company sponsors? Obviously feel of plastic and the practicality of certain molds for certain people is important, but when I started getting serious about things, I was watching a lot of videos of Professional tournaments. I saw some interviews with Nate Doss, watched him play, and grew to admire his style. Once I knew that I liked Doss, I wanted to know what he throws and things like that. Now I'm pretty hooked on Discraft (although I try to stray from them. But after reading this I may just go all DC!).

Now, there are definitely other pros that I like to watch and admire (MJ, McBeast, Feldy, Schusterick, Philo, Barry Schultz, etc.), but there's just something about Nate Doss that separates him. I guess it's just like any sports marketing campaign where they use a pro athlete to get you to buy their products. I was just surprised no one mentioned it!

I totally agree with the OCD symmetry thing as well!

In some ways, yes. It's not a direct correlation of "So and so throws only xyz, so that's what I'm going to throw too." But with SpinTV in-the-bag videos, and Discraft's in-the-bag section on bio pages, it certainly helps open my eyes to discs I may not otherwise consider.

I see no upside to limiting yourself to one brand, no way one brand makes all of the "best" in each slot in a person's bag. I have been playing for 5 years now and I went through the phase the first two years of trying any and every mold by any mfg. I settled on my basic bag through trial and error. Does that mean that I have it set in stone, no, but instead of buying every new disc I wait and either field trial other's discs or trade for a new one to try.

For me, my perfect bag would be around 6-8 drivers of the same mold in various stages of wear to cover most if not all my shots, same with my mids and putters. It just makes sense that the less molds the more comfortable you would feel with each disc. Sadly discs are lost or become unplayable, my mids are a prime example in that I love the Roc and carry two, used to carry three. The third one was my beaten understable turnover disc, but sadly it broke and I do not have one beaten in yet to that state. Enter a Meteor that handles that slot for now. Same with my overstable mid slot that I have used a Wasp for years and it has held up well in that slot. I understand the pros who play what the sponsors furnish, and lets face it they are pros. They could beat most of us with an all Lightning Bag, and BTW Lightning does have some serviceable discs.

Last edited: