• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] P McB Proto- THE KONG...er, um...THE ZEUS!

So Paul found a old disc in the factory called KONG . .and made it his
How it this "Paul makes his own line" ?

With the LUNA it felt like he made many prototypes and plastic blends to make the LUNA " made by Paul" disc. . seems fair.
But to just take a old mould collecting dust in the factory and make it "his" does not feel like a "made by Paul disc"

Yeah, its the same mold, nothing has changed physically, it just needs to be updated with the new name in the system

So Paul's interview with Jonny DG after ledgestone he talked about how they are going to release a video about why and how they landed on the name Kong.

But you say they are changing it? Where did you hear this from?

[edit]: nevermind, I see discraft's own video now. Odd they still discussed it as the "KONG" in Jonny DG's vid.

I find it strange they say they chose to rename it when in reality, they had to due to the dog toy company coming after them. I think Zeus is a way cooler name anyways.

With the LUNA it felt like he made many prototypes and plastic blends to make the LUNA " made by Paul" disc. . seems fair.
But to just take a old mould collecting dust in the factory and make it "his" does not feel like a "made by Paul disc"

Considering this was one of Discrafts very first prototypes into wide rimmed distance drivers I'm sure a ton of tweaking had to be done to the mold. The prototype was used as a base, but definitely reworked on the drawing board software which I'm sure is what the computer shot was about, the end result of his input, ended up being the Zeus. Can't really make a new plastic blend for everything and can't really design a disc from the ground up anymore. Even the luna has very similar profiles to several other putters. But Paul still owned this disc design, no doubt

So Paul's interview with Jonny DG after ledgestone he talked about how they are going to release a video about why and how they landed on the name Kong.

[edit]: nevermind, I see discraft's own video now. Odd they still discussed it as the "KONG" in Jonny DG's vid.

Probably needed to keep any changes on the down low. Company confidentiality and all that jazz

The Kong originally was an old disc that was never moved past the prototype phase and not submitted for PDGA approval. Was originally supposed to be like the Nuke. The current mold for the Kong/Zeus is new though.

The name change to 'Zeus' may have been embargoed at the time of McBeast's interview with Johnny DG.

here's a short vid about the change. Personally, I liked the sound of Kong better, but this fits his theme I guess....

Well...just the Roach really. (and I still think the Luna is a Roach...)

Recently had the chance to hold a Roach and compare it to my McBeth Prototype. The McBeth disc felt shallower and the rim was more rounded. I haven't had the chance to hold any of the Lunas, so I have no direct comparisons to make of it.

I find it strange they say they chose to rename it when in reality, they had to due to the dog toy company coming after them. I think Zeus is a way cooler name anyways.

Is there a source on this? I'd like to see it out of curiosity. Doesn't seem like the dog toy company would have much of a case since the two items are substantially dissimilar in all categories.

Is there a source on this? I'd like to see it out of curiosity. Doesn't seem like the dog toy company would have much of a case since the two items are substantially dissimilar in all categories.

Idk if its true or not but.....

Attachments

• Capture+_2019-06-25-14-54-36.jpg
    Capture+_2019-06-25-14-54-36.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 118
Yeah, I have my doubts. Sounds more like McBeth just didn't like the name. It really doesn't fit with the naming scheme of the rest of his discs.

With 3 discs, and 1 being his grandma's name, not sure we're really seeing any pattern yet, but it might be coming together more than 3 names from very different thought spaces as before.

I would totally throw a Zuul, Gozer and definitely a Vigo. When someone asks what you just threw, you say "He is Vigo!" Vinz Clortho, not so much.

Too bad the name Gatekeeper is already taken, because Gatekeepers and Keymasters would be a great combo.