• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paige Pierce #29190

Someone should compare how many wins she had before DCGR started, vs. after. I think the results will be conclusive.

That assumes that KT is anonymously absorbing the collective wisdom of DGCR to elevate her game to World Champion status.

It's not for me. I guess I just play differently. More calculations to make.

Hyzer is somewhat self-correcting on an open hole. Pull a hyzer wide and it also goes higher, which gives the disc more air time to fade back left. Hence the reliability of hyzers.

It is also easier to control distance with a hyzer vs. a straight throw, especially downhill.

But I hear you - I mostly play in the woods where open holes are few and far between, so my hyzer game gets rusty.

Hyzer is somewhat self-correcting on an open hole. Pull a hyzer wide and it also goes higher, which gives the disc more air time to fade back left. Hence the reliability of hyzers.

It is also easier to control distance with a hyzer vs. a straight throw, especially downhill.

But I hear you - I mostly play in the woods where open holes are few and far between, so my hyzer game gets rusty.

In order for it to be "simple", it also has to be within one's effective range.

Meaning, if you have a 400' hyzer in the bag but can flex out to 450' and all the holes are less than 400', then yeah, the hyzer is going to be the way to play. If all the holes are 500', you start looking for ways to cover the extra distance and the hyzer/hyzer isn't that appealing.

Meaning, if you have a 400' hyzer in the bag but can flex out to 450' and all the holes are less than 400', then yeah, the hyzer is going to be the way to play. If all the holes are 500', you start looking for ways to cover the extra distance and the hyzer/hyzer isn't that appealing.

That's a whole different ball of wax than the overstable putter/mid approach shots being discussed.

Paige should be leaning on the Zone like Kristin leans on her Harp for approach shots.

There are times and places where a touchy, technical approach with a straight to flippy putter are called for but more often than not making the simpler play to stick a Zone/Harp/whatever is going to be the better option.

Even back in 2014 when Paige was talking about her Prodigy bag, she talks about throwing PA1s and PA2s "when there is a headwind" that would turn the PA4s over, or to hit a line around a tree.

Paige seems to me, in what I have seen, to have consistently talked about wanting to throw upshots straight to the basket. If she was favoring throwing hyzer approach shots with over stable discs, I'd like to know when?

Paige seems to me, in what I have seen, to have consistently talked about wanting to throw upshots straight to the basket. If she was favoring throwing hyzer approach shots with over stable discs, I'd like to know when?

This is the way I see disc golf. I simply do not understand the hyzer approach and if forced to do it, it would take me months to adapt. Then, I would be lost again when forced to throw straight. I just don't get it.

That last upshot on hole 18 in last years worlds..I think Paige is the only player on tour that would choose that type of shot in that circumstance…but for her it must have been the shot she felt the best about.
For me that's the easiest shot in the game IF you throw an OS disc BH…..to throw a US disc right at the basket in that situation is 10 times harder for me…..but it is the shot Paige prefer and what she did

I'm gonna stop reading DGCR's forum cold turkey when I finally go on tour. There's no pleasing this crowd.

All of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but not ever all the people all the time.

A hyzer, if the hole allows it, is 100% the most accurate and consistent type of shot. To paraphrase Omar Little, "Even if you miss you can't miss."

I remember watching 2021 worlds as it was happening, and when I saw Paige was going straight at the pin instead of a stock Zone approach, I literally could not believe it. EVERYONE throws on OS approach disc in that situation. Pros. Ams. Men. Women. EVERYONE.

A hyzer, if the hole allows it, is 100% the most accurate and consistent type of shot. To paraphrase Omar Little, "Even if you miss you can't miss."

I remember watching 2021 worlds as it was happening, and when I saw Paige was going straight at the pin instead of a stock Zone approach, I literally could not believe it. EVERYONE throws on OS approach disc in that situation. Pros. Ams. Men. Women. EVERYONE.

Nah. Lots of people prefer to throw straight at the pin- Paige, Climo, and myself (not that I am of their caliber as a player) included. There are reasons to make either choice but it all boils down to personal preference. I started playing in the woods where you never really had an opportunity to throw hyzer upshots so learned to throw straight. Now I throw a mix of the 2 but lean towards throwing the straight putter shot given the chance. I am better at ranging distance that way and get less ground action. YMMV.

Nah. Lots of people prefer to throw straight at the pin- Paige, Climo, and myself (not that I am of their caliber as a player) included. There are reasons to make either choice but it all boils down to personal preference. I started playing in the woods where you never really had an opportunity to throw hyzer upshots so learned to throw straight. Now I throw a mix of the 2 but lean towards throwing the straight putter shot given the chance. I am better at ranging distance that way and get less ground action. YMMV.

This is really the correct take on this, IMO. There are advantages to both shots. I too play mostly in the wood and at a lot of pins on uneven ground. Those two things often take away the hyzer play.

I have found, in order to run the chains, I end up with a much bigger come back shot, with the hyzer play, than when running them with a straight, floaty putter/mid. But, to each their own.

That assumes that KT is anonymously absorbing the collective wisdom of DGCR to elevate her game to World Champion status.

There is gold advise all over this forum on all sorts of techniques and strategies, you just have to peruse and take what is useful and discard what is noise.

This is really the correct take on this, IMO. There are advantages to both shots. I too play mostly in the wood and at a lot of pins on uneven ground. Those two things often take away the hyzer play.

I'm not going to disagree in a general sense, but this particular shot was neither in the woods or uneven green - and you'd think a 5x world champion has a stock hyzer approach in their arsenal.

not talking about running basket, talking about putting a 200-250ft approach in the open nice and close. a shot that any pro should be able to do with regularity and without much thought. there are advantages to both shots, but there's no one who is going to talk me into thinking a hyzer - when available - isn't the most consistent way to make a placement shot. Why do you think everyone is mad at the Memorial or other wide open courses? Because it's the hyzer olympics - everyone throws the same boring looking shot

Nope.

Looked to me like she just missed the shot. Her line was simply too far left.

Just watched her throws on the back 9 and she had about 4 backhands that were off line left similar to 18, one FH and a couple of pulled throws to the right.

Basically, she seemed to be struggling hitting her lines on multiple occasions and 18 was just the last time.

Looked to me like she just missed the shot. Her line was simply too far left.

Just watched her throws on the back 9 and she had about 4 backhands that were off line left similar to 18, one FH and a couple of pulled throws to the right.

Basically, she seemed to be struggling hitting her lines on multiple occasions and 18 was just the last time.

Yup. It is as simple as that. Step to your mini and throw a hyzer poorly and you are still looking at a bad shot. There are solid reasons to throw one shot over the other, in a set of circumstances. One shot is not superior, pure and simple. Practice and execution. I suggest that there is a set of two 5X, one 6X and a 12X who have all leaned on the straight, floaty shot throughout their careers. Why? Confidence and execution.

...and I'm going to disagree with that. You throw a hyzer poorly, you miss by 10'. That's what makes it such a great option on shots like the one Paige had.

I don't think she had as much room for a hyzer as you seem to believe. I the alley appears to be about circles width or 60'. She was right of center. She needed to cover about 220' I think to get to the circle? If she throws an OS disc on a hyzer line she needs to be on the far right to land it.