• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth Bought a McLaren

People actually care that other people care how someone else spends their money?

<next person>: People actually care that people care about other people caring how someone else spends their money?

People actually care about money?

If the retail price is ~210K and the two year old price is ~170K, then it has lost $40K in two years. That's a loser in my book - enough to pay for a new, somewhat more utilitarian, car.
Most cars begin depreciating immediately after driving them off the lot, but losing just 20% in two years is better than most. Of course anyone buying a supercar isn't worried about depreciation anyway. It's a bit like saying a Rolex is a dumb purchase when a Seiko keeps perfectly good time. You're buying it to tell the rest of the world you're rich.

That said, there's always a chance that these cars appreciate over time, or at least hold their own against inflation. It's a fickle market. But again, the typical buyer isn't concerned either way.

Whether McBeth is now in the realm of the typical supercar buyer or if the purchase makes financial sense at all is a different question.

I would rate the "trustworthiness" of content in Ultiworld about the same as the content in one of your posts! Except Ultiworld has better grammar and punctuation!:thmbup:

To be fair, I have noticed the coherency of your posts has greatly improved over the past year while the content of Ultiworld has devolved into a gossip column.:D

Thanks, I try to do better now I read the posts more so people can read them even if I post a mistake or forget something.

1.) Good for him, McLarens are awesome and it's cool to see the best in the sport can afford enough that he has the ability to do this, long term financial impact withstanding.

2.) McLarens are notoriously unreliable and the closest service center is in NoVa so maybe we'll see him driving through Tyson's Corner traffic and playing a round at Bluemont while he waits.

When will this fantastic dung pile of a thread be landfilled?

:popcorn:

The Covid-19 thread has 3-4000 comments and is still in this forum, so. . .

I was referring more about the sideways thread drift about time travel.

But yeah... Pro Disc Golfers and their cars...

What does Ken Climo drive? I'm going to say Eagles. AMC Eagles.

People actually care that other people care how someone else spends their money?

<next person>: People actually care that people care about other people caring how someone else spends their money?

Hey, tour season is over, the weather sucks, and the pandemic is still raging. Second guessing Paul's financial decisions is better that rioting at a ballot counting facility.

I'm ready to support him by purchasing a McLaren-stamped Buzzz, if Discraft can make it happen.

50% of everyone. "I care deeply about the opposite of whatever anyone says or does."

Paul sent me a message. he said because of comments in this thread he's selling the car.
He also said he's quitting the tour and taking up professional, competitive knitting.

Now I feel guilty. :rolleyes:

What a terrible choice. Knitting is so silly. What is Paul doing with his life? Needle point is where all the money is. He should make exactly 3.8 babies and at least 2 boys and a girl that will definitely be world champions.

Paul sent me a message. he said because of comments in this thread he's selling the car.
He also said he's quitting the tour and taking up professional, competitive knitting.

Now I feel guilty. :rolleyes:
Tell him to invest heavily in real estate. Instead of blowing his wad on toys at 30, by the time he's 50 he can buy 20 McLarens and hire Ricky to wax them.

Related: (NSFW - language)

Most cars begin depreciating immediately after driving them off the lot, but losing just 20% in two years is better than most.

Would you drive 10 minutes to pay $2 for something that is $12 at the store down the street?

Would you drive 10 minutes to pay $3,520 for something that costs $3,530 at the store down the street?

It's the same $10 regardless of percentage.

A $200K car that loses $40K in value still loses much more money than a $40K car that loses the same percentage value. This isn't a value judgment on anyone who wants such a car, it's just math.

Of course anyone buying a supercar isn't worried about depreciation anyway.

Yep. I don't doubt this one bit.

It's a bit like saying a Rolex is a dumb purchase when a Seiko keeps perfectly good time.

No, that statement would be a value judgment. While I did use the word "utilitarian" to describe a lower priced car, it was a statement about the car being more of a driver than a shower. There's nothing wrong with a car bought to show people anything. It's his money and it's nobody else's business how he spends it.

If it depreciates as you stated, it's a bigger loser than the $40K car that depreciates at the same percentage rate.

Latest posts