• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth Bought a McLaren

From a "Is this good for disc golf?" point a view, I wonder whether this is an encouragement for young athletes to consider the sport or discouragement for all the disc golf pro 'grinders' who scrape by year-to-year living out of their vans and cars and sleeping on other peoples' couches.

For someone who keeps up with supercars a bit McLarens are really nice, however they lose their value much more then Ferraris. Reliability and maintenance is extremely bad on any supercar. You have to be prepared to spend 10K a year on maintenance for a 200K car. Which is a big factor as why the values drop like crazy. If it's out of warranty, yikes.

Then the insurance costs. Who knows. A lot! Thousand a month? Two thousand? Not a smart money purchase but just things to keep in mind if you do happen to have excess money to throw around like that.

Check out Hoovies garage on youtube and wizard who fixes his hoopties. Fun entertainment and learning too.

From a "Is this good for disc golf?" point a view, I wonder whether this is an encouragement for young athletes to consider the sport or discouragement for all the disc golf pro 'grinders' who scrape by year-to-year living out of their vans and cars and sleeping on other peoples' couches.

Good if other companies start paying in the realm of the McBeth contract.
Bad if no one else can afford to spend that much, and "newcomers" are stuck thinking, "well I'll never get a contract like Paul"

Sooooo why does anyone care what kind of car Mr McBeth bought? I mean it should be no surprise he can afford it. How many McBeth tour series discs have you seen lately on the course? Good for him. If I were in his shoes I'd be chasing that paper too. Not sure I'd buy a McClaren but to each their own...

1mil for 4 years and spend one of those years on a single car is not smart money management.

1 mil is just for being a part of discraft....im sure he makes a percentage off the plastic that sells.

He probably hasnt even had to spend any of that contract money.

Good for him. He is living the disc golf fantasy.....

This is great for the sport. If ppl see what money can be made with disc golf, it will bring more quality players.

200k for a car, would've been a wiser choice putting the money towards his own aircraft for touring purposes.

Yeah the insurance could be 2k+/month. Hopefully Paul has a clean driving record.

lol.. probably the first time in his career with that much cash to burn. I'll give him 1-2 years max and he gets rid of it.

I think cars regardless of make/model are absolutely terrible investments. I guarantee his monthly insurance payment alone is well over my mortgage. HOWEVER, I think this is a great statement for the sport! Pretty sure the general public thinks the best disc golfer in the world probably makes enough money to stay at the fancier Hampton Inns, afford a nice used Accord, and maybe shop at Whole Foods once in a while. Naw, they're out there rolling in exotic cars hahaha

Good for him! I've always been a mclaren fan, though for the money I would probably buy a used GTR and use the rest to invest.

He seems to know what he's doing much better than we do though.

I think cars regardless of make/model are absolutely terrible investments. I guarantee his monthly insurance payment alone is well over my mortgage. HOWEVER, I think this is a great statement for the sport! Pretty sure the general public thinks the best disc golfer in the world probably makes enough money to stay at the fancier Hampton Inns, afford a nice used Accord, and maybe shop at Whole Foods once in a while. Naw, they're out there rolling in exotic cars hahaha

Supercars aren't really that much more to insure than standard 'nice' cars. It's all based on risk and people who own supercars tend to not drive them very much and/or baby them most of the time. They get crashed much much less than us poors would assume. So, despite their high monetary value the insurance isn't really that much because they are seen as pretty safe to insure from insurance companies perspective. For example, car youtuber Doug Demuro owns a 2005 Ford GT valued at over $200,000 and he pays like $1900/year for insurance...less than his station wagon he daily drove at the time. Maintenance will kill you though.

Yolo? Ask MC Hammer how that kind of spending works out.

Somehow I don't see McBeth hiring unqualified friends and family to mismanage his fortune.

Supercars aren't really that much more to insure than standard 'nice' cars. It's all based on risk and people who own supercars tend to not drive them very much and/or baby them most of the time. They get crashed much much less than us poors would assume. So, despite their high monetary value the insurance isn't really that much because they are seen as pretty safe to insure from insurance companies perspective. For example, car youtuber Doug Demuro owns a 2005 Ford GT valued at over $200,000 and he pays like $1900/year for insurance...less than his station wagon he daily drove at the time. Maintenance will kill you though.

An E63 isn't "just a station wagon". It's a supercar in a mom-mobile skin. The motor is hand-built and makes more power than both the GT and McBeth's 570S.