• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Major: 2022 PDGA Champions Cup Apr 14-17

You are a bitter man. If you wanna talk topic go for it. Otherwise shut the fug up, trouble.

There you go again. Judging me. Then telling ME I'm off topic because I pointed out your ad hom comments in every post. There is something very wrong with you and it's starting to show more and more.

TL; DR version:
Having more than one good basket placement requires designing a course with that in mind. To have multiple pins that are good requires more than simply moving the basket around to different spots within the circle.

Longer, clearer version for people who care about reasoning and good discussion:
I've been thinking about your ideas more. I really like drawing inspiration from ball golf for DG design, but when it comes to "putting areas," I see very little reason to glean from golf. Where you are on a golf green matters a lot based on inches of elevation in the green. Elevation on a disc golf green only matters when it is multiple feet of change, and sometimes not even then. When I say "matters" I mean it both influences your putt and changes the likelihood of you making it.

Additionally, I've never seen a tree in the way on a golf green. There are sand bunkers close to some holes, but if you're in a bunker, you're not putting. DG's putting obstacles (in addition to elevation) are mainly trees and what's on the other side of the basket (OB close behind). All that to say, DG's putting area is drastically different than golf.

I think a better way to move pins is to either have totally different putting areas, or to have basket placements far enough apart in the same putting area where it makes the approach and puts different. Maybe the putting area has a 50' wide mound with a lone bushy tree (cedar or similar) directly in the center. One day you place the pin on the right of the tree, and the next day on the left. Assuming a multi-shot hole and a restricted fairway, that changes the ideal approach shot (whatever that is varies from person to person). If someone's ideal approach shot one day is from the left side of the fairway, perhaps moving the pin will make their ideal approach shot now be from the right side of the fairway. If so, that changes the previous shot as well.

I think that having good, multiple pins should (in most cases) should affect a hole throughout. Also, most of what I've said about having multiple pins should (ideally) apply to multiple tees as well.

The courses I've played with multiple pin locations generally seem to change the hole adequately. Usually pin placements vary 50-100' or more. If it's just an open green, I'd agree that moving the basket doesn't make much sense.

There you go again. Judging me. Then telling ME I'm off topic because I pointed out your ad hom comments in every post. There is something very wrong with you and it's starting to show more and more.

Do you see the irony here? I suspect not because you have some major comprehension issues, lol.

None of your posts make sense or add value. Maybe go out on the course and try to improve your game instead of trolling me, lol

Do you see the irony here? I suspect not because you have some major comprehension issues, lol.

None of your posts make sense or add value. Maybe go out on the course and try to improve your game instead of trolling me, lol

You are delusional.

I don't have a problem with that personally, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Nothing to have a problem about there. No one remembers a time a caddy ever did anything useful other than retrieving an OB disc. Juniors and people with certain conditions should be able to have a support walker sure, but especially A-tier and up people pay good money, for competition with their peers. As a spectator it is pretty disappointing to have to watch through a camera crew, Terry Miller (do man in the field), a photographer, and 4 extra’s that are at the most carrying the bag but seem bored and on their phone texting half the time. If they want it to be professional disc golf they should make sure the focus can be on the Pros.

The courses I've played with multiple pin locations generally seem to change the hole adequately. Usually pin placements vary 50-100' or more. If it's just an open green, I'd agree that moving the basket doesn't make much sense.

Completely agree. DG shares much with the game on which it's based, but they "play" differently.

Moving a hole in golf can completely change how the slope and grain of the green play. Disc golf doesn't have that attribute.

The games are analogous in many ways, but differ in almost as many. What works well for one, doesn't necessarily translate well to the other.

Re Caddies:

I can see a someone holding your bag being a true advantage on a very hilly courses like North Boundary Park, especially on a hot humid day. DGLO, on Toboggan in July, for sure.

I have no problem with caddies. Just one person at a time, per player. What that person's role and responsibilities are, is up to the player, as long as all rules and protocols are followed.

Perhaps age shouldn't be the issue, but maybe behaviour. Call courtesy violations where warranted.

....like anyone will call penalties or violations anymore. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You are delusional.

Nah, you just easy to get going, lol.

So what were we talking about? Caddies? Wooos? I forget now, lol.

I'm happy Kristin came in with the hot round at Jonesboro today. 10 down and Kat Mertsch also with a hot round. (Let's see you take THAT personal now, lolol)

I'm happy Kristin came in with the hot round at Jonesboro today. 10 down and Kat Mertsch also with a hot round. (Let's see you take THAT personal now, lolol)

I think Paige is taking what happened at the CUP more personally than Kristin.

Nothing to have a problem about there. No one remembers a time a caddy ever did anything useful other than retrieving an OB disc. Juniors and people with certain conditions should be able to have a support walker sure, but especially A-tier and up people pay good money, for competition with their peers. As a spectator it is pretty disappointing to have to watch through a camera crew, Terry Miller (do man in the field), a photographer, and 4 extra’s that are at the most carrying the bag but seem bored and on their phone texting half the time. If they want it to be professional disc golf they should make sure the focus can be on the Pros.

My bigger beef are the individuals who acquire media badges who are not engaging in any recording at all yet are in front of the ropes.

My bigger beef are the individuals who acquire media badges who are not engaging in any recording at all yet are in front of the ropes.

Writers...?

I am old,

so I remember when people did write stories...

They're using Google or Apple contact lenses to broadcast directly to other user's eyeballs.

Get with the times.;)

No caddies is better. Caddies are not part of disc golfing tradition and add nothing to the sport.

Maybe right now, yes. But if it keeps growing like it has been, I see potential value in the future. Other single-person sports were the same in their younger years. With time, people came to see the value in caddies/personal coaches. With money players were able to hire them.

I'm not good enough to play on the tour, but if I were, I have a friend that I play with a lot who I'd want to caddie for me. When we play rounds together, we chat about anything and everything not DG. I'd love to have that on the course during a pressure round. He also gives me a "that's the dumbest idea I've ever heard" look when I tell him I'm about to try a crazy shot. He knows my game well enough to know my limits.

If I see the benefit in it (even though I don't play a ton of tournaments), I'm sure the pros can see the value in it.

I think Paige is taking what happened at the CUP more personally than Kristin.

Agreed. So many people were quick to point a finger at her when she had nothing to do with how things played out. She also seemed slightly defensive in the "Press Conference" which seemed like a step back from where she was mentally prior to Champion's Cup. Stinks that her winning a Major was tainted by Elaine's interference in the final round and dominating the headlines.

Nothing to have a problem about there. No one remembers a time a caddy ever did anything useful other than retrieving an OB disc. Juniors and people with certain conditions should be able to have a support walker sure, but especially A-tier and up people pay good money, for competition with their peers. As a spectator it is pretty disappointing to have to watch through a camera crew, Terry Miller (do man in the field), a photographer, and 4 extraÂ's that are at the most carrying the bag but seem bored and on their phone texting half the time. If they want it to be professional disc golf they should make sure the focus can be on the Pros.

The elusive "nobody". Frequently mentioned, never seen.

FWIW, PP credited her caddie with saving her double digit strokes over the course of the tournament. Caddies can be invaluable in helping you stick your game plan, ensure you are evaluating all the information at hand when deciding what shot to throw, or just help you keep the proper mental attitude. Plenty of players don't want that, but others do, and find it highly worthwhile.

The elusive "nobody". Frequently mentioned, never seen.

FWIW, PP credited her caddie with saving her double digit strokes over the course of the tournament. Caddies can be invaluable in helping you stick your game plan, ensure you are evaluating all the information at hand when deciding what shot to throw, or just help you keep the proper mental attitude. Plenty of players don't want that, but others do, and find it highly worthwhile.

The only issue I see with a caddy is not everyone can afford one.

Doesn't really change my mind. Im okay with them having A caddy or one person with them for the round. But I'm not a fan when I see these big clusters of people.

FWIW guys, whichever of you two stops responding to the other guy first WINS. Nobody's gonna be like "oh what a *****, walking away from a pointless argument with a complete stranger online" :confused: What is there to be gained? Its a nodoby pounding a keyboard. No need to prove anything. Just stop. :wall:

Maybe right now, yes. But if it keeps growing like it has been, I see potential value in the future. Other single-person sports were the same in their younger years. With time, people came to see the value in caddies/personal coaches. With money players were able to hire them.

I'm not good enough to play on the tour, but if I were, I have a friend that I play with a lot who I'd want to caddie for me. When we play rounds together, we chat about anything and everything not DG. I'd love to have that on the course during a pressure round. He also gives me a "that's the dumbest idea I've ever heard" look when I tell him I'm about to try a crazy shot. He knows my game well enough to know my limits.

If I see the benefit in it (even though I don't play a ton of tournaments), I'm sure the pros can see the value in it.

See post 67 here for evidence: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141221&page=7

You really didnt have to link to another event. You could claim Tattar would have won the Champ Cup if she had a caddy and took the tying par on 18 based on the percent of shanked drives that Pierce has on wooded courses.

...who knows. Someone said Pierce indicated her caddy saved her double digit strokes at Champs Cup. She must have not had one at Jonesboro.

Latest posts