• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Major: 2022 PDGA Champions Cup Apr 14-17

I agree it's annoying as hell, but what current rule does the whoop violate? You'd be doing us all a favor if you can find one lolol.

Start with:

812.3.a Courtesy:
3. Engage in distracting or unsportsmanlike actions such as:
a. Shouting (unless warning someone at risk of being struck by a disc),

But it wasn't the player....it was their caddy:

Competition Manual: 3.05 Carts, Caddies, and Groups

B. A caddie is a person who carries a player's equipment or provides other assistance during the round. Players may designate one caddie at a time during their round. A caddie must be at least 13 years of age and must comply with the same Official Rules of Disc Golf and Competition Manual their player must follow, including the dress code, although a caddie need not be a PDGA member nor Certified Official.

So, if Ari was his caddy - which I understand she was - she has to abide by the rules also, which "bans" shouting.

Why are you posts always so weird? What's the point of the lolol?

It's clearly addressed in the competition manual for players

3. Engage in distracting or unsportsmanlike actions such as:
a. Shouting (unless warning someone at risk of being struck by a disc),

and

A caddie must be at least 13 years of age and must comply with the same
Offcial Rules of Disc Golf and Competition Manual their player must follow,
including the dress code, although a caddie need not be a PDGA member nor
Certifed Offcial.

Well, you are interpreting a rule. Cheering someone in is not unsportsmanlike, and if no one is throwing in the group it isn't necessarily distracting either.

I know you aren't fond of being questioned or having a discussion, so I appreciate your kind response.

A courtesy violation is a judgement call made by a player.

If you are teeing off one hole ahead while Ricky is throwing in a 40 footer and you hear the whoop as you are teeing off, I could see someone calling a violation.

Just out of curiosity and maybe this was covered earlier, but who was the other adult who was appointed to watch over kristens daughter when she was demoted from "caddy" status to quiet sign status?

I know you aren't fond of being questioned or having a discussion, so I appreciate your kind response.

Why do you keep posting as if you know me? Every post directed at me includes some form of judgement. I noticed you doing similar with others as well.

You have an excessively high opinion of yourself, but I think you are probably alone in that opinion.

Nobody needs nor wants your net nanny behavior. Post what you have to say. Drop the prejudgement. You will be better received.

Just out of curiosity and maybe this was covered earlier, but who was the other adult who was appointed to watch over kristens daughter when she was demoted from "caddy" status to quiet sign status?

friend of a friend according to Hannah McB who was staying at the same house as Tattar.

It was a male friend of Paiges Caddie that happened to be in the crowd (her caddie was a local) as I remember from what Hanna said. So not a total complete stranger. But nobody that Kristen or her daughter had ever met or heard about before.

Start with:

812.3.a Courtesy:

But it wasn't the player....it was their caddy:

Competition Manual: 3.05 Carts, Caddies, and Groups

So, if Ari was his caddy - which I understand she was - she has to abide by the rules also, which "bans" shouting.

I agree it's annoying. I think this would open up a can of worms. People cheer all the time. I do notice she has starting whooping for everyone in the card now. I wonder if DGN could step in and say it's hurting viewership, lolol.

I agree it's annoying. I think this would open up a can of worms. People cheer all the time. I do notice she has starting whooping for everyone in the card now. I wonder if DGN could step in and say it's hurting viewership, lolol.

People/spectators cheer, there's no rule against that. The rule is for players and their caddies. But it's one of those rules that will only get called if it annoys someone in the group. However, spectators do have to abide by the Quiet signs and can be asked/told to leave the course (if it is a closed course) if their behavior is causing an issue.

More likely, if a player is annoyed they will just ask the person to keep it down and, if it continues, then invoke the rule (if they are aware of it).

I think in Ari's case she does it after every shot and it can be heard holes away.

Like already mentioned, somebody will catch it in a backswing or mid putt on an adjacent hole and shank a shot and complain.

A crowd going nuts over an ace or something along those lines is a fluke. What she's doing is persistent and a nuisance.

Why do you keep posting as if you know me? Every post directed at me includes some form of judgement. I noticed you doing similar with others as well.

You have an excessively high opinion of yourself, but I think you are probably alone in that opinion.

Nobody needs nor wants your net nanny behavior. Post what you have to say. Drop the prejudgement. You will be better received.

You are a bitter man. If you wanna talk topic go for it. Otherwise shut the fug up, trouble.

Please help a feeble mind keep up with the conversation: So... now we're driving the "Whoop bus" over Ari.

... and we're over caddie-gate?

Kidding aside, if Ari's "whoop" is as loud, frequent, and pervasive as some make it out to be, it probs just a matter of time before it happens at an unfortunate moment, and we're rehashing this convo.

I can only hope it's Nikko. You'd have to imagine he'd have the strongest response.

Players were told that anyone walking with them, regardless of their "support" was a caddy.

This is because the rules say the only non
Player allowed with a group is a caddy.

This was emailed to all players.. it was 100% clear.

So they were all aware that the people following them had to follow the clearly laid out rules and yet they still didn't and weren't called on it.

Got it.

Please help a feeble mind keep up with the conversation: So... now we're driving the "Whoop bus" over Ari.

... and we're over caddie-gate?

Kidding aside, if Ari's "whoop" is as loud, frequent, and pervasive as some make it out to be, it probs just a matter of time before it happens at an unfortunate moment, and we're rehashing this convo.

I can only hope it's Nikko. You'd have to imagine he'd have the strongest response.

Hats off to Kristin for coming back strong and shooting 1022 rated 10 down today at Jonesboro.

Strictly looking at the professional/DGPT/Major level, it seems like this probably needs to be revisited to avoid future issues. One player, one support person (caddie), that's it. All people in the player area are expected to comply with competition rules. Ari's whoop could be subject to a courtesy violation.

No caddies is better. Caddies are not part of disc golfing tradition and add nothing to the sport.

I think you can keep variety, at least within a single tournament, with multiple pins. Augusta National does a great job of maintaining the challenge through 4 rounds by simply changing the pin positions for each round. They have a whole ritual around it every morning that the tournament is on. Seems to keep people coming back...

Here you might start getting into questions of "how big is a disc golf green" though. Current commentary seems to assume it is C1. Ball golf logic would have it be the entirety of the area from which a player should reasonably be able to hole out within 2 strokes.

TL; DR version:
Having more than one good basket placement requires designing a course with that in mind. To have multiple pins that are good requires more than simply moving the basket around to different spots within the circle.

Longer, clearer version for people who care about reasoning and good discussion:
I've been thinking about your ideas more. I really like drawing inspiration from ball golf for DG design, but when it comes to "putting areas," I see very little reason to glean from golf. Where you are on a golf green matters a lot based on inches of elevation in the green. Elevation on a disc golf green only matters when it is multiple feet of change, and sometimes not even then. When I say "matters" I mean it both influences your putt and changes the likelihood of you making it.

Additionally, I've never seen a tree in the way on a golf green. There are sand bunkers close to some holes, but if you're in a bunker, you're not putting. DG's putting obstacles (in addition to elevation) are mainly trees and what's on the other side of the basket (OB close behind). All that to say, DG's putting area is drastically different than golf.

I think a better way to move pins is to either have totally different putting areas, or to have basket placements far enough apart in the same putting area where it makes the approach and puts different. Maybe the putting area has a 50' wide mound with a lone bushy tree (cedar or similar) directly in the center. One day you place the pin on the right of the tree, and the next day on the left. Assuming a multi-shot hole and a restricted fairway, that changes the ideal approach shot (whatever that is varies from person to person). If someone's ideal approach shot one day is from the left side of the fairway, perhaps moving the pin will make their ideal approach shot now be from the right side of the fairway. If so, that changes the previous shot as well.

I think that having good, multiple pins should (in most cases) should affect a hole throughout. Also, most of what I've said about having multiple pins should (ideally) apply to multiple tees as well.

Latest posts