• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Major: 2022 PDGA Champions Cup Apr 14-17

In a way she was.....she didn't get penalty throws added or DQ'd, but it did affect her game, so she was "penalized" in that way. (Which is why I put "penalized" in quotes...as it wasn't a form of official penalty).

You could be right about the daughter not being there earlier....all I had heard was that she was Kristen's caddy and that made it seem like this had been happening the entire tournament.

In a game that is 90% mental, KT was certainly penalized. She might pretend to be Estonian polite, but that cover might cost her even more mental stress.

Also, since money is the new driving force, her sponsor might get involved.

Pretty much expected the pDGA to run and hide from this so cant say I am surprised. They got Hayden Henry to write some trash review of the FPO Major and zero mentions of the controversial ruling. If the pDGA had any leadership whatsoever they would post a statement on their website and explain their actions. Hiding from it and hoping it goes away is cowardly. Remember their action and inaction come voting time and remove them for skirting their duties. Very disappointed but not surprised in the least.

Attachments

• PDGA-DOH.jpg
    PDGA-DOH.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 18
For another "inside point of view" of "Caddiegate" (since Hannah McBeth stayed at the same house as Kristin and somewhat got involved), I can recommend the latest episode of the podcast "The Par Tee", where Hanna tells her view of what happened from being there on site and after talking to Kristin and lets us know her view on how this was handled: https://open.spotify.com/episode/4lG0Be2Cfm4ydTTEzLpTHo?si=9350fc13552f4327

Kinda blows my mind that a bunch of hippies throwing frisbees at trees in the park some fifty years ago, has somehow evolved into this conversation.

All organizations are eventually run by their most strident, objectionable and extreme members. Disc golfers are still a largely decent group, but give us some more money and a few decades and we may rival FIFA.

Kinda blows my mind that a bunch of hippies throwing frisbees at trees in the park some fifty years ago, has somehow evolved into this conversation.
Having seen the movie Baseketball.... this all feels completely plausible to me. :D

Fake PDGA with the best take on ALL of this, regardless of who you agree with or care to defend...

Attachments

• 278566618_3223669687881308_7900235402688591317_n.jpg
    278566618_3223669687881308_7900235402688591317_n.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 68
Pretty much expected the pDGA to run and hide from this so cant say I am surprised. They got Hayden Henry to write some trash review of the FPO Major and zero mentions of the controversial ruling. If the pDGA had any leadership whatsoever they would post a statement on their website and explain their actions. Hiding from it and hoping it goes away is cowardly. Remember their action and inaction come voting time and remove them for skirting their duties. Very disappointed but not surprised in the least.

#respectHERgame

For another "inside point of view" of "Caddiegate" (since Hannah McBeth stayed at the same house as Kristin and somewhat got involved), I can recommend the latest episode of the podcast "The Par Tee", where Hanna tells her view of what happened from being there on site and after talking to Kristin and lets us know her view on how this was handled: https://open.spotify.com/episode/4lG0Be2Cfm4ydTTEzLpTHo?si=9350fc13552f4327

That was a good listen, and confirmed what I suspected was how it went down. I was watching coverage and couldn't work out why Ian and Elaine weren't commenting on the lovely spectacle of mother and daughter out there together, and then Isabelle wasn't there any longer.

That was a good listen, and confirmed what I suspected was how it went down. I was watching coverage and couldn't work out why Ian and Elaine weren't commenting on the lovely spectacle of mother and daughter out there together, and then Isabelle wasn't there any longer.

I enjoyed as well, and learned quite a few things about the incident, however a few of her comments were not quite correct.

- Joe is not the PDGA President (that's Nate Heinold). He's the Executive Director. Just a misnomer but worth mentioning.

- No TD has the right to override a rule. Simply saying that I should have just removed that rule is not something allowed. Only way a rule can be override is with Big Dog's approval of a waiver.

- the notion that we should have clarified this like we did stance stuff at the players meeting was a little silly. We certainly aren't going to open the book and just read it at a players meeting.

- the notion that players didn't know likely is accurate, but not the fault of the event. Not only are rules public, an announcement of changes each year is posted. Finally, and ironically for This event, the player email included a direct link to caddy rules.

- The conversation I had with her when she asked me about it was pretty accurately told from my memory. I think I said something along the lines of "imagine Paul playing with a disruptive child on the bag." I do understand her point regarding that a player should know who is ready to be there and who isn't.

Again disappointing that this is the narrative and not the 99.999% of the event that was incredible (not my words, that's a players).

Last edited:
I found it kinda funny when she mentioned that her and Britney Dickerson get caddy badges but don't actually caddy. At one point she jokes about support people and caddies.

I get it, people found loop holes during Covid restrictions so they could be out on the course.

I would expect going forward we'll see some clarification or additional rules surrounding caddies. Seems about 50/50 on whether they're actually carrying a bag or just tagging along.

I found it kinda funny when she mentioned that her and Britney Dickerson get caddy badges but don't actually caddy. At one point she jokes about support people and caddies.

I get it, people found loop holes during Covid restrictions so they could be out on the course.

I would expect going forward we'll see some clarification or additional rules surrounding caddies. Seems about 50/50 on whether they're actually carrying a bag or just tagging along.

Players were told that anyone walking with them, regardless of their "support" was a caddy.

This is because the rules say the only non
Player allowed with a group is a caddy.

This was emailed to all players.. it was 100% clear.

One pro could have had a bad experience and every other pro could have had a great experience. Both of those could be true.

Well said. On the whole you had a great event that is unfortunately being overshadowed by somebody choosing to involve themselves mid-round in a highly contested FPO final round. That involvement very likely influenced the outcome for what appears to be a minor rules issue that absolutely should have been addressed post round.

We SHOULD be talking about the awesome FPO finish between two dgers at the tops of their games. Instead, we have this.

I can't help thinking what I would have done from Elaine's position, weighing the possibility that another player or tournament official would discover the infraction close to or even just after the round completed to where Robert may have been faced with a tougher DQ situation with bigger ramifications than what happened. Glad I wasn't faced with these possibilities. Robert, good job on your part weighing your options and acting in a creative way.

I can't help thinking what I would have done from Elaine's position, weighing the possibility that another player or tournament official would discover the infraction close to or even just after the round completed to where Robert may have been faced with a tougher DQ situation with bigger ramifications than what happened. Glad I wasn't faced with these possibilities. Robert, good job on your part weighing your options and acting in a creative way.

Agree 100%. It was an awkward situation and unfortunate it became a thing at all. Under the circumstances I think it was handled as well as could be expected.

I love to see KT playing here and sorry things got a bit twisted, but nobody was trying to undermine her game.

In MOST sports this would never/could never happen. If I take my kid to work, they don't sit in on my meetings.

If I was in her position, I would have let it go; let it play out. I would have told myself that I'm not a part of the tournament and that it is out of my jurisdiction in that regard. Let the TD or players call it. Not only that, but the responsibility of knowing that rule is on Tattar and not on King to tell Tattar about it.

One thing that seems to have been lost in all this, is just what a great kid Isabelle is. The entire time she was with the card, she comported herself perfectly. And from Hannah's account, she handled everything with poise you wouldn't normally expect from a 9 yr old, in a foreign country, no less.

As much as I respect Kristin's game as a player, I respect the job she's done raising Isabelle even more. I'm sure she's got a support system, but raising a child as a touring pro has got to be a tough gig.

Well done Isabelle and Kristin! :clap: :clap: :clap:

If I was in her position, I would have let it go; let it play out. I would have told myself that I'm not a part of the tournament and that it is out of my jurisdiction in that regard. Let the TD or players call it. Not only that, but the responsibility of knowing that rule is on Tattar and not on King to tell Tattar about it.

Why do you think your choice/actions are relevant in this situation?

So they're just getting caddy badges so they can support their S.O.'s? Must be a nice advantage to have.

I'm sure they're not the only ones doing this then.

I mean the powers that be don't see them on coverage walking with their partners, not carrying a bag and not following dress code?

I get MTL'S point, that so much good is being overlooked, but at this point it seems to be beyond just this event and the overall mismanagement/double standards of the organizations behind the events.

So they're just getting caddy badges so they can support their S.O.'s? Must be a nice advantage to have.

I'm sure they're not the only ones doing this then.

I mean the powers that be don't see them on coverage walking with their partners, not carrying a bag and not following dress code?

I get MTL'S point, that so much good is being overlooked, but at this point it seems to be beyond just this event and the overall mismanagement/double standards of the organizations behind the events.

That's what I was implying about updates to the caddy rules. MTL himself said the way the rules are written they include anybody the player wants. Maybe update them so the role is more defined and those actually performing caddy duties are the only ones allowed inside the ropes.

It puts the PDGA in a tough spot. They're basically a volunteer organization, so enforcing all the rules is difficult when you don't have an unlimited amount of volunteers. The recent gripes about time enforcement doesn't make that any easier. End results are situations like what just happened.

Latest posts