• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA members on DGCR

10,285 here. I know, I joined late. I was strictly rec until the mid nineties. I used to buy their course directories though, back before this internet thing took off.

10,285 here. I know, I joined late. I was strictly rec until the mid nineties. I used to buy their course directories though, back before this internet thing took off.

Right on thrembo, I did not even know the PDGA existed for years. Actually played in tournaments back then too. Now that I have joined (17958) I don't play competative disc golf anymore. I don't think I even had any idea that the game was more than a regional activity with discraft in the area.

Right on thrembo, I did not even know the PDGA existed for years. Actually played in tournaments back then too. Now that I have joined (17958) I don't play competative disc golf anymore. I don't think I even had any idea that the game was more than a regional activity with discraft in the area.

I knew about them. But me and my friends were young and wild, and considered organized play to be the enemy! About the time Hudson Mills opened I matured a lttle bit, enough to start playing in tournaments and joining the awesome A3 league. Now I still join my local league, SWFDGA, but only play in nonsanctioned/charity/fund raising events.

Last edited:
low 27,thousands here. Current. and it looks like a lot of PDGA members that, as was stated earlier, are on here but do not list their number.

We need to get that number higher.
If u dont play tourneys just think of the membership as a donation to the sport u love, seeing as most courses are free to play, its still a good deal.
How can we get sponsors to commit money if we cant chip in our own. At 50-70$ a year its still cheaper than almost any other sport.

:sigh:

First, why would I donate to an organization that does NOTHING to maintain my local courses, or improve them, or work with the local cities to add more courses ?

The courses are free to play because I pay taxes, not because the PDGA does anything.

I dont give a dime to ball golf, yet, they have sponsors that pay millions. Any monetary contribution from me is not going to affect thier contribution.

Sponsors make money from selling thier goods and services.
Would I be more likely to buy a Cadillac because Will got an ace on a hole in a tourney ?
Probably not, but that doesnt stop them from sticking cars in the middle of the lake on the bolf par threes for everyone to admire.

Your logic is flawed, and therefore rejected.

If I'm going to throw away money, I'd rather to give it to George Zimmermans attorneys. :|

:sigh:

First, why would I donate to an organization that does NOTHING to maintain my local courses, or improve them, or work with the local cities to add more courses ?

The courses are free to play because I pay taxes, not because the PDGA does anything.

Makes you kind of wonder whether any governments, when considering installing a disc golf course, have researched disc golf and, if so, where they researched it. Probably not the sport's international organization.

Take the same 50-70 bucks, or even better, TWO years membership dues, buy some lightweight putters and mids, and donate them to any local public school within walking distance of an existing disc golf course.

Schools are hard up for money, teachers are buying basic classroom essentials for thier kids wiith money from thier own pockets.

If you can influence ONE young person to play disc golf when they hadnt ever considered it before, you've done more for the sport than the PDGA will ever accomplish.

42008...not current this year, but I'll get around to my renewal soon. Just been a little busy adjusting to being someone's dad.

FWIW, I played for several years before I even considered joining the PDGA and playing in a tourney....then it took a few more years to discover this magical site. ;)

50K's here.

I just renewed yesterday after reading this thread. I do believe in supporting the PDGA.

12003 here. Know many (one-third?) of my fellow Charlotte DGers who did not divulge their PDGA number or location (not even state) on their DGCR profile.

Played 1 tourney last year. I didn't enjoy how AMs got showered with plastic. Also, I have my own issues with the PDGA and don't like the fact that I have to pay $25+ for entry to tournaments, even after my discount. I wouldn't care so much if that money went to the local club, back to the AMS, or to some type of an outreah program... hate that some, if not most or all, of it ends up padding Pro pockets that I didn't even compete against.

All in all, I just prefer casual rounds with buddies and get my competive fix through my local club. I will not be renewing next year.

Last edited:
Makes you kind of wonder whether any governments, when considering installing a disc golf course, have researched disc golf and, if so, where they researched it. Probably not the sport's international organization.

Definitely a point there-I like knowing that the statistical data that I offer to the local park's department is legit and not because I said so, or because Captain Jack said so. The PDGA provides demographics and historical data that cannot be attained anywhere else.

For all the gripes that I have heard about the PDGA, it seems that large amount of people are more interested in what the PDGA has done for them in a selfish sort-of-way, rather than what they provide as a whole. What did Kennedy say? "Ask not what your country can do for you, but rather what you..."

PDGA #24728 here, and current for awhile. Have not played any tournaments yet this year, but I believe I'm still getting my monies worth. I'd rather have a governing body over the sport I love rather than not have one.

I don't fault those who aren't into tournament play for not joining the PDGA. The annual fee is rather steep, for just a contribution.

But the notion that the PDGA hasn't done anything to further disc golf is dubious. I haven't pitched a course to a local government, but I know a number of people who have. When you ask a government to give you 20-40 acres of land, perhaps pay for installation as well, it helps to be able to show some legitimacy. It would be a harder pitch if it were just a group of guys throwing Frisbees making the request.