• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA ratings are up. How'd you do?

I was the best Disc Golfer in the family going back 40 years (if you count Frisbees at objects) until May 9, 2023 when my 7th grader's rating eclipsed mine for the first time. I lost 19 points and he gained 3. He'll be gaining way more and I hope to maybe try one more run at getting back to 900.

The rating rule we put in place almost 20 years ago paid off for me this update to stay above 900. I shot an unofficial 885 in R1. In R2, I went +6 with a 5, 5, 5 to start R2 with the second 5 including the 2-stroke misplay for our whole group who played a hole out of sequence. I could have bagged the round but went "just" +2 for the next 15 holes. I was looking closely at whether that round would drop but ironically, I thought the 2-stroke misplay might help it drop if I played well in R3 the next day. Shot 921 in R3. Yes, that bad R2 round dropped at least in this Tuesday update leaving me at 916 down from 921.

Up to 891, probably short lived based on the last 2 sanctioned league rounds I played but we'll see. Goal is still 900+ before I roll the clock to 62 at the end of summer.

Up 4 to 964.

Thanks to my first sanctioned league round of the year being added to my profile - an even 1000.

Pleasant surprise, it was in the 990s pre-official.

Next update my 884 from last year, which has been consistently dropped from my rating, will go away.
In exchange I'll add an 835 that probably will drop. Which was played a bit over a week later on the exact same layout as the 1000.

I have friends (Josh & Cheryl Terwilliger of Crossover Disc Golf, featured in Disc Golfer magazine) who are a little crazy about hosting events, often doing 3 to 4 things every week. They have done several 1 round C-tiers at my home pitch and putt, of which I've taken advantage to raise my rating quite a bit this year. I'm 4 points shy of my personal best pdga rating. At 62 years old and in my 12th year in the sport, I expect to decline soon, but for now, I'm enjoying the momentary glimpse of being 'adequate' at this!
:)

Down 7 points from 952 to 945….from now on I'm not playing any tournaments until its warm out in Wisconsin. I'm sure I'll play better the next few weekends.

My son just turned 13 and his rating is up 4 points to 950. pdga 46920

I had a bounce back month, up 4 points to 972. pdga 34459

Tattar up to 992 - best opportunity to really boost her rating coming up as she is going to drop her 8 950-980 rated rounds from her short EU tour last year in the next 2 updates for Jul/Aug. DDO, Des Moines, Preserve in the U.S. before heading to Europe for PCS Sula, European Open, and European Championships. European Championships has the lowest strength field currently for those 7 events.

McBeth back to 1046 atop the DGPT touring pros group (2 of the 3 rounds from recent Estonian Open not counting towards his ratings helps a lot).

Manibu Kajiyama up to 1051 for the top rated player in the world. Probably fortunate the Japan Open wasn't sanctioned.

Nate Sexton drops below 1030 for the first time since 2016 :(

My personal rating has dropped slightly this year (2023 avg. 946) but I have a few low rated rounds from April last year dropping off in the next update. Hopefully my tournament this weekend produces some good results to get 2x weighting.

Jumped +4 and +6 in the May & June updates to get up to the 960s with today's update to a new highest ever rating. Pretty consistent play has allowed for dropping all my 8## rated rounds from last year. Next up is the 90# & 91# round(s).

Last edited:
Down 7, to 957. Because that pesky 824 pushed an 882 from last year into being included. Better play a rated round this month, because as soon as I do the 882 will be gone for good (it was shot on 5/20 last year) and the 824 will be sitting on its own as not-included and I'll pop back up.

Down a few points, but I've only played in 4 events total and my first couple were at a course I know really well, so I think my rating is settling into the reality of where I am as a golfer right now. Time to work on getting a little better.

+5 highest I've ever been, playing some events abroad soon and I'm sure that'll boost my rating a ton.

This was the last update where I replace good rounds a long time ago with newer not-so-good rounds. I think this is the update where I bottom out. I start replacing all dud rounds from a year ago, hopefully not with newer dud rounds! I'm by far at my lowest rating of my 25 years of having them. I'm 76 points below my peak in 2005!! However, I feel good about my little comeback as a 50-year-old. Last year sucked. I'm better this year. I'm playing more rounds and getting more 900+ rated rounds this year, even tied some really good old amateur Michigander guys in a few rounds.

The graph lines of my rating and my son's rating have crossed, probably for good. He's going into 8th grade next year and is now 13 points above me. He's firing 900+ rated rounds left and right (and still in the young amateur roller coaster with a few duds too). He won an A-tier in MA-3 outright by 4 strokes about a month ago (was tied with 6 holes to go and put the hammer down!), and it's looking really good for him lately. Playing in MJ-15 at worlds in a very competitive field.

My daughter is playing in her first-ever sanctioned event this Saturday! We just got done playing her 4th-ever complete casual round tonight. Steep learning curve right now. Ought to be in the thick of it in FA-4 where there are 12 in the division at a Ladies-only event in town. I'll be caddying. Stoked for this!

I don't play a ton of events but I did play a couple in the past month or so. Went up to 971. The next few rounds that will drop off will be the lowest ones that are still counting towards my rating. I'd love to hit the 980s, but I will have to shoot well for my next couple events for that to happen.

Somewhat unusual to see a 1000+ rated player jump double digits in a rating update - Mauri Villmann up +13 rating points to 1022 making him the highest MPO golfer from Estonia (surpassing Albert Tamm). Villmann's top 6 rated rounds ever all came in the last month since the May update!

Certainly someone to keep an eye on at the European Open and kinda wish he was playing this stretch of the EuroTour to face off with McBeth (top rated from US)/Anttilla (top rated from EU) to measure his skills and maybe see him on DGN live broadcasts.
https://www.pdga.com/player/107197

Any thoughts on why none of the MPO tour players are 1050 anymore? Has the tournament winner's average rating dropped at the elite/touring MPO level? Has the average rating increased for field quality?

I think some combination of the below has caused the downward trend for those at the top
  • some parity as new rising youth movement challenge the veterans on tour. Veterans likely had an familiarity advantage at the longtime tour stops but the younger players have gotten wiser to the cost of penalty strokes and poor putting
  • McBeth/Wysocki/McMahon coming off injuries and competing less with lowered consistency
  • some eliminating of the low SSA/high OB courses from the DGPT event schedule and many courses that remain on tour have been altered to be more fair/balanced and tougher overall which increased the SSAs
  • player's reduced competing off tour (less rounds being played, higher average SSA for tournament rounds)
  • addition of a ratings minimum and tiered registration/tour cards preventing really low rated players at a lot of Pro elite events (more isolated pool of players)
  • more Euro players touring & mixing of pools again after 2020-2021