• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Photon (11-12 Speed) Distance Driver

That's the thing, what is a "normal" Photon? The Wave was supposed to be a faster Inertia, but turned out pretty understable.

Straight with fade and minimal/no turn. Longer volt/tesla is what i find all 11 different ones from 164g to 174g in neutron and proton. Thatd how i see it anyway. F the wave lol.

Its weird fission volts didnt get understable in 20g difference but photons are impacted differently.

Okay. I was going by early reports of noodles digging the Photon, and thinking it wasn't stable at all. But must have been lighter ones.

My 157g F photon is plenty OS and IMO is actually more OS than my 173 N. Or at least it appears to be because it stalls out and fades earlier than my N. But like any lightweight disc if you put some anhy on it and rip it as hard as you can it will turn...

My 157g F photon is plenty OS and IMO is actually more OS than my 173 N. Or at least it appears to be because it stalls out and fades earlier than my N. But like any lightweight disc if you put some anhy on it and rip it as hard as you can it will turn...

This is what I was getting at with my earlier comment. The Fissions I've thrown definitely stall out and die quickly once the fade starts kicking in, compared to a much more gradual turn in the Neutron I have.

This is what I was getting at with my earlier comment. The Fissions I've thrown definitely stall out and die quickly once the fade starts kicking in, compared to a much more gradual turn in the Neutron I have.
Is the lighter weight causing you to nose-up more maybe? The instant you throw the word "stall" into the mix points out just that.... too much air under the disc.

Otherwise, you would see stable flight and the disc would just die or dump when it slows down.

Finally got out to throwing some discs today after a long hiatus. Life often gets in the way of disc golf. :|

I tested a 173 Proton vs a 174 Particle Duality Neutron version. From the first throw, the Proton was a little more stable, and wanted to fade sooner than the Neutron. I was getting a little more D out of the N also. MVP mentioned more dome in the P, but I'm not seeing it in my tester. The dome is the same on both discs. The Proton feels nice and grippy in this version, unlike some older Proton of the past. And it IS glassier than before. Such beautiful stuff.

If you felt the N Photon was a tad too understable, I would say the Proton version is worth a look.

Did you compare top down? Mine had just a hair of raised shoulder but yeah not "dome" like any other company lol

No, I've never done the top down thing. I mean, this has some dome if you compare it to a Resistor. :p

Is the lighter weight causing you to nose-up more maybe? The instant you throw the word "stall" into the mix points out just that.... too much air under the disc.

Otherwise, you would see stable flight and the disc would just die or dump when it slows down.

No, it isn't a nose angle thing. I use "stall" in the sense that once the fade kicks in, the disc just drops out of the air, basically. The Fissions lose speed very quickly in the LS portion of their flight, at least from what I've seen.

The Fissions are more liable to get pushed around in the wind, too, even at near-equal weights to the Neutron I have, resulting in the kind of stall you're talking about. But I see this difference on pretty much every throw regardless of conditions. Surprised it hasn't been more widely observed.

Because of this, I'm planning on selling off the Fissions I've picked up and going all Neutrons, with maybe a Proton in there. I love the feel of Fission, but think the Neutron Photons fly way better for my arm. Perhaps for someone with more than my 375' of D the difference I'm speaking of is less noticeable or less significant.

^ I hear that 100%. have nothing to do with fission photons being the protons and neutrons are out. Hell MVP makes the orbital and wave so...? If lighter fissions were actually photon OS it would be another story. Good post.

No, it isn't a nose angle thing. I use "stall" in the sense that once the fade kicks in, the disc just drops out of the air, basically. The Fissions lose speed very quickly in the LS portion of their flight, at least from what I've seen.

The Fissions are more liable to get pushed around in the wind, too, even at near-equal weights to the Neutron I have, resulting in the kind of stall you're talking about. But I see this difference on pretty much every throw regardless of conditions. Surprised it hasn't been more widely observed.

Because of this, I'm planning on selling off the Fissions I've picked up and going all Neutrons, with maybe a Proton in there. I love the feel of Fission, but think the Neutron Photons fly way better for my arm. Perhaps for someone with more than my 375' of D the difference I'm speaking of is less noticeable or less significant.

Same experience

I still haven't tried N or P because of how underwhelming the fission was. I have two sitting on the shelf that I just can't get into. Strangely, I do like my fission volt.

Unrelated...anyone want to buy two slightly used fission photons? :thmbup:

I've been clicking with the Photon lately.

I really enjoy that I can give it all the power I want and I know that it isn't going to flip over and track to far right (RHBH)
The rim is also quite manageable, even for my "small/medium" hands.

I used to bag a Wrath bc I liked the rim shape & grip but I haven't had any trouble bouncing it from my bag and simply relying on the Photon for any distance shot that my Craves can't reach.

Latest posts