• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pick My Putter

Pick My Putter

• Total voters
I was being mean by playing dumb. I've had all the vibram putters and use to like the ridge. I won't use any vibram discs anymore and the VP was the first one I got rid of.

...I've had all the vibram putters and use to like the ridge. I won't use any vibram discs anymore...

By that, do you mean you have just moved on to something different, or do you refuse to throw them for some other reason? Just curious - I too was a Ridge devotee, but have since switched to Ions.

Whatever you pick, go for as light as possible. More glide, less effort, easier to throw and follow a line, more lid-like.

I tried a lot of putters when I started. but after much deliberation I came down on the side of the Challenger. It is dependable, a little over stable, and it feels right in my hand.

Putting is about confidence. That comes from practice and faith in the disc. Go with the one that you will have the faith in and then practice, practice, and practice some more.

my choice for dependable, stable/overstable putters that are great for going for it or laying up...............rhynos. every plastic type. love em. by my sss wizard is a great 0-100 ft putter.

Last edited:
I think that putters lend more to "does it feel good in my hand" more than mids and drivers do. I have smaller hands and the Warlock felt best (SSS). The Wizard rim is wider, so it didn't fit well. I've dropped my score after changing from an echo star dart.

These stores probably exist somewhere (not where I'm at), but it would be great if you could test out a couple of discs before deciding on one. It can be such a crap shoot buying new discs, especially when starting out.

Howdy ya'll. Figure I will let ya'll pick my putter for when I start practicing again. Your choices are the Challenger, ION, Warlock, and Wizard. Discs are listed in order of what I would call my preference.

Challenger - I like this one a lot, I have a stack of them and would happily stick with the mold.

ION - Since the changes I have really wanted to give the ION another run. It sounds so much more appealing now. My only apprehension is the putting aspect of it, but I think I can learn.

Warlock - picked up a few of these because they start out kinda stable but beat into pretty straight and neutral. I have some that I like already and could probably get some more.

Wizard - solid disc but I don't like having to search for "good ones". The only reason I am okay with this for warlocks is that I already have some.

My .02:

Background - I currently putt with Challengers, I used to putt with Wizards and Voodoos. I have tossed my friends Ion a few times, and I've tossed a couple warlocks as well - but I have much more experience with the first 2 I mentioned than the last 2.

Challenger: I personally LOVE this putter. I really cant think of anything BAD about the mold. A touch of stability so you can tee 'em up and they'll stay straight (I throw mine out to 275' comfortably), good glide, and comfortable in hand.

Wizard: Worst issue is consistency, followed by durability. It's a great disc but you really have to pick and choose to find the great ones. I've traded away most of the ones I've owned because I couldn't count on them. The few I did love though, I loved about as much as my challengers. (PSSST - DD "corner" stamped SS runs that have a slight concave flight plate)

Warlock: Maybe it was just me but this disc didn't stand out to me from a myriad of other choices. HOWEVER, as I always say it's about how it feels in-hand. SO while the flight isn't distinct for me if it feels right throw it.

Ion: I like the grip - a lot. I hated the absolute lack of glide. In hand they felt similar to wizards to me but they have a more neutral flight than wizards. I wouldn't suggest this putter unless you have a higher release point because you'll end up being frustrated by caging a bunch of putts. Good driving putter though.

Hope this helps.

lol, someone didn't take the time to figure out you need to put spin on the Ion to make it glide. Guilty of this myself the first 2 times I tried them which is why I hated putting with them back then too.

Cfair I'll get those out to you asap, slipped my mind today until I was on the course 30 minutes from home.

lol, someone didn't take the time to figure out you need to put spin on the Ion to make it glide. Guilty of this myself the first 2 times I tried them which is why I hated putting with them back then too.

Cfair I'll get those out to you asap, slipped my mind today until I was on the course 30 minutes from home.

I putted with it multiple ways (push, spin, turbo) during its tryout. I still didn't like the glide compared to a Challenger or beaded Aviar or even Wizard.

To me most putters honestly putt the same within 20'. It's the 21-30' range where the nuances of the mold tend to take hold, and then jump putting obviously plays into the stability/speed/glide more significantly.

So take it or leave it, and everyone is differnent, just wanted to put my opinions out there since he asked.

Ion: I wouldn't suggest this putter unless you have a higher release point because you'll end up being frustrated by caging a bunch of putts. Good driving putter though.

Hope this helps.

This is my interest. I have a high release. Interesting.

I putted with it multiple ways (push, spin, turbo) during its tryout. I still didn't like the glide compared to a Challenger or beaded Aviar or even Wizard.

Ions don't really glide so much as thrust (not sure if that's word I'm looking for). You absolutely have to initiate this thrust by getting that got dang gyroscopic overmold spinning right or else it will just have a goofy dump fade like a Wizard (and hit the tray a lot). They really do have a very nuanced way they like to be putted successfully, just the right combo of spin, pitch and lob and they'll sail straight into the basket like it was being pulled in by a tractor beam. I personally abandoned them for putting b/c of this. I like my putter to be a simple to use, all-weather jeep, not a high-tuned Ferrari on slick racing tires. :\

Hah, I broke the wizard/ion tie... I voted wizard, I just really like the feel of them in my hand

or else it will just have a goofy dump fade like a Wizard (and hit the tray a lot) :\

What my putt does everytime lol.

You have to learn the crazy dump fade and use it to your advantage... Now that it's winter up here I am strictly working on my putting

I know youve put a lot of effort in picking your listed molds. Looking at those leads me to the challenger for you. Its flight is similar to the roc and clone with a touch of predness, and like those molds the challenger beats in amazingly. I carry 3-5 in a full bag. There are a ton of putters that i like but with a well worn challenger theres no need for them.