• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Point of Hyzer Flip

Glendor

I only recently discovered this shot and it is fun to throw. However, I was wondering the practical applications you use for this as I could just throw a more stable disc flat.

What advantages does this throw have over a normal throw?

Really solid for tunnel shots in my opinion. Also, if you hit it just right with the right amount of height you can get the disc to land flat and not skip away like something that is more overstable would likely do.

Easier to hit a gap with hyzer.
H flips naturally gain height.
Its hard to throw nose down and flat.
Great distance line.

Fwiw imo, a h flip is the "normal throw". Many folks release the majority of their shots with at least a lil hyzer.

Great distance line.

Fwiw imo, a h flip is the "normal throw". Many folks release the majority of their shots with at least a lil hyzer.

Well said. I couldn't agree more with some of your points.

plus with really flippy discs you can release hyzer, they flip-flat and get a nice gentle right turn which is good for dogleg rights (rhbh) that are not that sharp of a right turn. Where normally that flippy disc would roll or burn if released flat.

Great distance line.

Agree... except newer players seem to always release anhyzer.

Being lefty I throw a lot of anhyzers. I generally actaully throw dead straight though maybe a little too much into the ground lol. I am trying to work on my hyzers as they never seem to work for me.

plus with really flippy discs you can release hyzer, they flip-flat and get a nice gentle right turn which is good for dogleg rights (rhbh) that are not that sharp of a right turn. Where normally that flippy disc would roll or burn if released flat.

Yes, generally known as a turnover. :clap:

Yes, generally known as a turnover. :clap:

I've been playing for some time now, and this is really my go to shot for any straight holes. I use an archon. Now, I knew about hyzer flipping long before I figured out the turnover shot. It took throwing a light pro katana to really understand it. When I saw the shot/line the first time I kinda gasped. My thought was, "wth just happened?!". A great shot to have in your arsenal.

Great distance line.

You can also choose discs that are easy to control the turn on and have anywhere from some to no fade. Most anything HSS enough to not turn on a flat throw will either fade hard or get squirrley as it beats up. Because of that you also get a lot longer life out of each disc.

Throwing flat also isn't a very forgiving angle. Many discs act quite a bit differently if thrown on a small hyzer or small anhyzer. It can mean the difference between getting a hyzer and a long turnover, which will affect the flight your disc takes and where your disc lands by a lot. Most discs that you'd hyzer flip will work well on many different angles so the difference in the flight and where it lands will be much smaller given small changes in release angle.

The discs that do well when thrown flat tend to be very overstable, so you have to want a big fade at the end of the flight. This is also a very useful shot that should be practiced, but it can't take the place of a hyzer flip.

well it's not the point of it, but I think everyone of us who started out throwing fastbacks and other frisbees as little kids, learned to throw this way. And most disc golfers who started before 94 throw like this as well. I feel bad for the newer players who learn on these super overstable discs. Give these newbies a frisbee and they don't know what to do with it.

Oh yeah...the point of it? To make my disc fly the way I like it to :)

well it's not the point of it, but I think everyone of us who started out throwing fastbacks and other frisbees as little kids, learned to throw this way. And most disc golfers who started before 94 throw like this as well. I feel bad for the newer players who learn on these super overstable discs. Give these newbies a frisbee and they don't know what to do with it.

Oh yeah...the point of it? To make my disc fly the way I like it to :)

Tossing a Superhero is a good learning tool. Teaches better form, too.

But the point of learning how to hyzer flip is to add another shot to your arsenal.

I pretty much agree with what's already been said...

One thing I might add is that the hyzer-flip-to-turnover is one of my most valued shots. Especially when I need a very, very late turn on the disc which will not fade out. One particular hole at a local course is ten feet into a tree line along which you have to drive. The hyzer-flip lets me hug the tree line the whole way and then turn into the gap at the last second. It's just as fun to watch fly as it is to throw...

In my opinion this shot is most important for weaker-arm golfers....they can use an understable disc and hyzer flip it and that will give them ALOT of distance over a stable hyzer. It has a ton of other uses but i think thats #1

Great distance line.

I had/have to work on a hyzer for it to feel natural.

I had/have to work on a hyzer for it to feel natural.

Same for me unfortunately. I think a lot of us that started playing this game in the age of distance drivers share this aspect.

I'm kind of envious of those old guys that had to hyzer flip everything back in the day.

Same for me unfortunately. I think a lot of us that started playing this game in the age of distance drivers share this aspect.

When you guys say "hyzer," how much of a hyzer starts feeling unnatural? Or is that anything past flat feels weird? Or is the whole change in body positioning that's different?

The reason I ask is I threw with steep hyzer for quite a while (mostly hyzer-flips). More recently I started developing a flatter (still a tiny bit of hyzer) throw, but it involved more than just a change in release angle.

Now, when I try to throw a steep hyzer, it feels weird...so I'm wondering if it's what y'all are experiencing...

I'm kind of envious of those old guys that had to hyzer flip everything back in the day.

I guess I'm lucky, I didn't know it was a curse:cool:

When you guys say "hyzer," how much of a hyzer starts feeling unnatural? Or is that anything past flat feels weird? Or is the whole change in body positioning that's different?

The reason I ask is I threw with steep hyzer for quite a while (mostly hyzer-flips). More recently I started developing a flatter (still a tiny bit of hyzer) throw, but it involved more than just a change in release angle.

Now, when I try to throw a steep hyzer, it feels weird...so I'm wondering if it's what y'all are experiencing...

I don't know the answer since hyzerflipping came natural to me years ago, but another issue with your release/flight "trouble" (for lack of a better word) is that you're developing your throw right now - it's still far from perfect. Some people that just start playing say "WTF why didn't that turn over!?!?!" when in reality they just FINALLY released it properly. Don't know how to finish this post cause I'm pretty drunk, but yeah:thmbup:

I'll offer a slightly different take on this:

I don't think we throw hyzer flips because they're good (necessarily). I think we throw hyzer flips because we want the properties of the understable plastic (mostly talking about straight/no fade finishes, more glide than overstable molds, and less skipping on impact) and the required shot to achieve those properties on a golf line is a hyzer flip.

Also...another whole discussion but I don't agree that categorically hyzer flips are always the "easier" shot to throw down hallways. Wind makes hyzer flipping a disc pretty tough and/or risky when faced with a hallway shot.