• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PVC disc storage

Anyone think of switching out the 4 - 3way and 2 4way's on the bottom for an extra "way" and purchase casters to make the rack roll? I see some use of tie backs to lock the rack into the wall. Is it stable enough to wheel around?

Also, does closing off the top level matter at all, structurally? Can you just have 5" pieces with caps for the top row?

Not a big deal but seems like it would save about $8-10 in material and add some versatility to the top shelf...bags, condors, Jaguars :)

Anyone think of switching out the 4 - 3way and 2 4way's on the bottom for an extra "way" and purchase casters to make the rack roll? I see some use of tie backs to lock the rack into the wall. Is it stable enough to wheel around?
Casters would work fine on the 4x1 I built. I expect it would roll fine on a hard flat surface. However, the 8x2 I would not feel comfortable on wheels. Too unwieldy. When moving the height to width ratio would lend itself to very easily tipping over, and potentially 300lbs of plastic falling could be dangerous.

Also, does closing off the top level matter at all, structurally? Can you just have 5" pieces with caps for the top row?
Likely does not matter. However, with my recommended sizes you should still be able to store Condors and Jaguars.

Casters would work fine on the 4x1 I built. I expect it would roll fine on a hard flat surface. However, the 8x2 I would not feel comfortable on wheels. Too unwieldy. When moving the height to width ratio would lend itself to very easily tipping over, and potentially 300lbs of plastic falling could be dangerous.

Likely does not matter. However, with my recommended sizes you should still be able to store Condors and Jaguars.

I can store a 50 mold midnight flyer easily in mine... That's a big mamajama...

I have a bunch of plastic containers and disc boxes. I see the benefits to having boxes... like I can store them anywhere... but it would be interesting to be able to catelogue all the discs by type and name for easy access without having to dig through 20 boxes of discs. I also figured I could sell the completed rack on here to people not interested in doing the work to build one if it ceased to serve its purpose.

Accessories should arrive today, then its just buying the pipe at THD!

I have a bunch of plastic containers and disc boxes. I see the benefits to having boxes... like I can store them anywhere... but it would be interesting to be able to catelogue all the discs by type and name for easy access without having to dig through 20 boxes of discs.

Label the boxes maybe?

Label the boxes maybe?

Nah, it just doesnt work for me. Get some new discs, fill up a box, then you have to re-label, resplit/configure. The box you want is always on the top shelf under another box. I think it will be wonderful to want to get out to a field and practice...look at all the discs displayed and pull the backups without having to go through 5 boxes to find them. It always ends with random stacks of discs everywhere not put back. I know that this is my failing...but sometimes you have to work with what you got. Although, I have a feeling that this rack will lead to the 7YO throwing new USDGC rocs all around the back yard...sigh..

Nah, it just doesnt work for me. Get some new discs, fill up a box, then you have to re-label, resplit/configure. The box you want is always on the top shelf under another box. I think it will be wonderful to want to get out to a field and practice...look at all the discs displayed and pull the backups without having to go through 5 boxes to find them. It always ends with random stacks of discs everywhere not put back. I know that this is my failing...but sometimes you have to work with what you got. Although, I have a feeling that this rack will lead to the 7YO throwing new USDGC rocs all around the back yard...sigh..

You can always build one of these for taking to the field with leftover PVC too. I built a rack like in this thread, but I also have a large storage box for my collectibles. It is nice having easier access to my useable plastic.

I went on a long quest to find a place to store my discs (I probably have about 120 or so). I ended up at the container store, which is typically overpriced, but if you can't find something there, you won't be able to find it at any other brick and mortar retailer. After about an hour of searching I ended up finding that your typical 9x9x12 shipping box is the best bet. It fits about 20 +-2 discs, and costs about a buck fifty (1.50) per box. Maybe not the most permanent solution, but easily the cheapest. The next cheapest thing there cost 30 bucks and held maybe 30 discs, so I feel vindicated.

OK. So I finally put all my discs onto my rack and snapped a pic. I modified the original idea to make use of different (and smaller) fittings, and it definitely doesn't have the same rigidity. I haven't entirely given up on my idea yet. I am going to glue the pieces together except for the top row so that there will be a little more strength but still room for possible expansion in case the glue works like I hope it will (if I ever get that motivated, that is).

Rack2.jpg

I have build several PVC disc containers, if you have a drill it is way easier to just use sheet metal screws on the PVC than using glue. It holds just fine and if you need to pull them back apart a screwdriver will do the job.

Here she is. Gonna add 2 more row for the discs that didn't fit. Top row figured I didnt need to close it off, just made those with scraps from poor planning... They will be easy to pull off. Also, as I was building, I thought maybe I should have had 4-ways for the bottom 3-ways and 5 ways for the bottom 4-ways. Have the extra hole point out and put a capped 3-4" piece of pipe sticking out to aid in stability. I might be able to do it if I turn the whole sucker upside down when I expand. These are not easy to get apart once you pound them together.

Also, half that top right side is pearly discs/pre barry, 1x valks...I dont have too much old stuff.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Discs Rack text.jpg
    Discs Rack text.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 409
Here she is. Gonna add 2 more row for the discs that didn't fit. Top row figured I didnt need to close it off, just made those with scraps from poor planning... They will be easy to pull off. Also, as I was building, I thought maybe I should have had 4-ways for the bottom 3-ways and 5 ways for the bottom 4-ways. Have the extra hole point out and put a capped 3-4" piece of pipe sticking out to aid in stability. I might be able to do it if I turn the whole sucker upside down when I expand. These are not easy to get apart once you pound them together.

Also, half that top right side is pearly discs/pre barry, 1x valks...I dont have too much old stuff.

attachment.php

:clap:
strong work my good man!

I tried a row of 8" height pieces. So the bottom is 9", second from bottom 8", and all the rest 8.25". The best part about the open top is stackability. Pro-Rhynos bend too easy so I will probably keep them all lying flat.

Saved about 160" of PVC building it this way, guess thats really only $6, lol. The good thing is the 7-10 inches in height savings.

looks like I need to build a second rack... my wife is gonna friggin kill me.